Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 07-25-2011, 08:24 PM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
Can you post the code? Without, we can only guess.
No code, Jon. Just a Word doc and a meatgrinder.

You probably need to take it up with Smashwords, MMGray... since the errors in their meatgrinder's temporary html files don't really point back to anything meaningful/useful in your Word doc itself.

You could try saving your Word doc as unfiltered html and see if you can duplicate the 'clear' attribute inside a <p> element. It might narrow down where you need to look in your source doc. But that's all I got.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:19 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Or you could convert the Word doc to ePub using Calibre and see if you can duplicate the error.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:19 PM   #18
MMGray
MMGray will become famous soon enoughMMGray will become famous soon enoughMMGray will become famous soon enoughMMGray will become famous soon enoughMMGray will become famous soon enoughMMGray will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Yikes
Many thanks for the speedy responses.
I will attempt various suggestions.
For those of us who want to focus on the e-writing (in the hope the algorithms will work like a charm) having to wade through fixups can lead to much gnashing of teeth.
Stay tuned to the outcome.
MMGray
MMGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 08:05 PM   #19
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Sorry if this has been dealt with before, but I'm curious... Could one fix the epub itself and re-upload it to smashwords, or are you required to start with an MS-word doc file only?

I'm asking because this forum contains a legion of posts regarding epubcheck errors in epubs generated by the meatgrinder from (allegedly) Smashwords-style-compliant Word doc files, and from what I can tell there is no known simple correspondence between those errors and the "code" in the word file that produces them. Is the problem in the Word doc? or is it a bug in the meatgrinder? Who knows?

In any event, life would be simplified if one could submit a "corrected" epub to Smashwords.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 01:47 PM   #20
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
In any event, life would be simplified if one could submit a "corrected" epub to Smashwords.
Yes it would, but Smashwords do not accept epub submissions at this time.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #21
MMGray
MMGray will become famous soon enoughMMGray will become famous soon enoughMMGray will become famous soon enoughMMGray will become famous soon enoughMMGray will become famous soon enoughMMGray will become famous soon enough

Red face EPubCheck errors ongoing saga

My husband who "meatgrindered" his ebook one week before me successfully suggested I use our new iMac to submit (which is what he did).

So I re-submitted my ebook to Smashwords yesterday using our new machine and wait to see what the Apple store does with it. Apparently using Word on different Macs of different vintages (which is what I did) can be the culprit.
Rats! Apple should know better than to manufacture machines that still work eons later [such as our dinky little Macintosh SE!]...

I thought all had gone well the first time -- but no, Apple store was the wall I hit with the EPubCheck -- so it may be a waiting game.
I have downloaded Calibre and have that as my Plan B plus all the other suggestions.
Regards to the Forum
MMGray
MMGray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, errors, warnings