Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-03-2011, 04:33 PM   #91
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Or maybe I am finally getting why Apple lovers are a bit defensive.
I know what you mean. I never expected to see that level of it over an ereader, but that was before I got one.

I'm pretty neutral on the whole thing. I chose the one that met my needs, period. It was not an easy decision. I used the same selection process with mp3 players, and ended up with an iPod Classic. (But then, I didn't buy an mp3 player until DRM was mostly a non-issue; I didn't want to wait that long to get an ereader.

Yes, I do see some Kindle owners glossing over the limitations, and it bothers me, and it also bothers me when non-Kindle owners overstate the limitations. Most people, however, simply are letting people know that they aren't completely stuck if they are willing to do what it takes to get unstuck. It's about options. I'm all for letting people know what ALL of their options are, no matter which device they choose or end up with.

The act of reading has never really been a technologically challenging area until recently. It helps to remember that when assisting new users. It makes sense that people might not have a grasp on limitations, formats, etc because I imagine people new to the game didn't expect reading to be this darn complicated.

I think I went off topic but I'm running a fever. It's to be expected.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:54 PM   #92
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
With any DRM scheme you are locked in. Sure, ePub with DRM is sold by several ebookstores but all that has to happen is for Adobe to turn off the DRM server and unless you've stripped DRM you've lost your DRMed ePub files. I've had it happen to me from both Adobe, Amazon, and Fictionwise (when one of the DRM servers stopped working through them). In only Fictionwise's case was any attempt made to provide the lost content.

Doesn't matter who provides the DRM, it's still a lock in.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:44 PM   #93
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I agree that people should be matched with devices that best suit them. This is why I have suggested Nooks and Sonys when people have said that want something for the library or a touchscreen. The strange thing is that I rarely see people outside of the Kindle users suggest a Kindle even when it is a good fit.

That probably is because non-Kindle folks are concerned about Kindle dominating the market and want to prevent that from happening. It just feels a bit like some of the non-Kindle users feel that Amazon and Kindle are the evil empire and people should be discouraged from using Amazon at all costs. That bothers me a great deal.

Or maybe I am finally getting why Apple lovers are a bit defensive.
As a long time Apple "fangirl" this really made me giggle. I have spent lots of time defending Apple...

I have a Kobo because I want to read library books. But since I'm a huge Amazon customer, I was peeved that the Kindle didn't support library books and peeved with the 1984 type incidents. Does that mean I have stopped shopping at Amazon? Nope, not at all. Does this stop me from wanting to buy ebooks from Amazon? Nope, not at all. Can I afford to own both a Kobo & a Kindle? Well, maybe...but I wouldn't want to try to explain that to my husband.

As someone would wants to give Amazon my money, it is rather annoying when Kindle users become snide/snarky or get their panties in a bunch whenever someone doesn't bow to Amazon's greatness. I recognize a flaw in the model because I can no longer give them my money. If Kindle supported libraries, I would have overlooked a lot of other concerns and purchased a Kindle...
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #94
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
On some other forums before deciding on an e-reader, I'd say that I wanted to be able to add an SD card, and to borrow library books, and that I didn't care about 3G or wifi or Web access, and I'd get back "Buy a Kindle!" "Kindle is the best!" No matter that it didn't match up at all with what I wanted--the refrain was just "Kindle, Kindle, Kindle!"

And when I decided on a JBL, which no one had ever heard of, I got loads of snarky comments about how I'd settled for a cheap piece of junk--no matter that it DID match up with what I wanted.

I got the same kind of snideness when I bought a Sansa Clip+ instead of the almighty iPod--again, according to the fanboys, I must have compromised on quality for price.

It's annoying.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:21 PM   #95
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
That is annoying.

If a person is interested in many of the features on a Kindle but wants a SD memory card slot I will point out that the Kindle holds 3,500 books and with collections there are ways of sorting them. And that the Nook has a SD memory card slot.

If someone says they want to use the library I point them to an Epub reader based on the other features they want.

It is all about finding the right reader for the individual.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:44 PM   #96
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
And when I decided on a JBL, which no one had ever heard of, I got loads of snarky comments about how I'd settled for a cheap piece of junk--no matter that it DID match up with what I wanted.

I got the same kind of snideness when I bought a Sansa Clip+ instead of the almighty iPod--again, according to the fanboys, I must have compromised on quality for price.

It's annoying.
It's because some people aren't happy just finding what they want - they want to feel somehow superior in their choice too. Yes, it is annoying, and it happens in both directions. I got called a "sheep" for buying an iPod despite the fact that it did what I needed better than the others I looked at. It felt like I was expected to compromise my needs for the sake of being different, which isn't any better than buying something just because it's popular.

I've heard the Sansa's are really good (especially sound quality), and I've thought about getting one so I have something smaller than my iPod Classic in certain situations.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:14 PM   #97
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite

The week before Christmas Amazon had the black 4 gig Sansa clip+ for $34.99.

There were other things I wanted to spend my money on, so I passed. But I was tempted!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #98
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post

The week before Christmas Amazon had the black 4 gig Sansa clip+ for $34.99.

There were other things I wanted to spend my money on, so I passed. But I was tempted!
Still - Yay! It's still on sale, it only went up a couple of dollars to 36.99, and the 2 gig is 29.99. I might have to quit putting it off and get one. Thanks for the tip!
Old 01-03-2011, 07:22 PM   #99
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hold on! Now I see that they have the 4 gig in a plain box for $32.05! And remember that that is with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-...4100218&sr=1-8
Old 01-03-2011, 07:28 PM   #100
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Hold on! Now I see that they have the 4 gig in a plain box for $32.05! And remember that that is with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Sansa-...4100218&sr=1-8
Too late. I could go back and cancel/reorder if I move really fast but I was using up a gift card balance anyway so I'm not that worried. I'm on my roommate's Prime account so when I saw "order in 7 minutes and get it by Tuesday with one day shipping", that meant I could get it by Wednesday with Prime. I've been rather spoiled by the free two-day shipping. Thanks for your help though!
Old 01-03-2011, 07:29 PM   #101
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
It's because some people aren't happy just finding what they want - they want to feel somehow superior in their choice too. Yes, it is annoying, and it happens in both directions. I got called a "sheep" for buying an iPod despite the fact that it did what I needed better than the others I looked at. It felt like I was expected to compromise my needs for the sake of being different, which isn't any better than buying something just because it's popular.
True enough; point taken.

Quote:
I've heard the Sansa's are really good (especially sound quality), and I've thought about getting one so I have something smaller than my iPod Classic in certain situations.
I love mine. I have an 8gb with an additional 16gb card, and then I picked up a second 4gb Clip+ for just Christmas music. I really like it for audio books.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:34 PM   #102
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Too late. I could go back and cancel/reorder if I move really fast but I was using up a gift card balance anyway so I'm not that worried. I'm on my roommate's Prime account so when I saw "order in 7 minutes and get it by Tuesday with one day shipping", that meant I could get it by Wednesday with Prime. I've been rather spoiled by the free two-day shipping. Thanks for your help though!
I got the 8gb from Dell last summer for $40 with free shipping--I think it was a mistake, and it was backordered and took a long time to get, but they honored the price.
Old 01-03-2011, 07:41 PM   #103
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
I love mine. I have an 8gb with an additional 16gb card, and then I picked up a second 4gb Clip+ for just Christmas music. I really like it for audio books.
I thought about that too - I have some audiobooks from Librivox and it would be nice to have something with just the audiobook on it sometimes. Or just my "reading playlist", which is mostly Beethoven and Rossini. I don't need all the features of my iPod to play one playlist.

Back on topic now.

(goes off to do a "new toy happy dance")
Old 01-03-2011, 07:49 PM   #104
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I thought about that too - I have some audiobooks from Librivox and it would be nice to have something with just the audiobook on it sometimes. Or just my "reading playlist", which is mostly Beethoven and Rossini. I don't need all the features of my iPod to play one playlist.

Back on topic now.

(goes off to do a "new toy happy dance")
I get my audio books from Librivox, and the Clip+ works very nicely, reading the chapters consecutively and holding your place. And it's small and lighweight and unobtrusive. Hope you enjoy it!
Old 01-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #105
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!

Glad you got what you wanted, CWN!

I've never had an mp3 player before. I have a jack/plug/outlet in my car stereo for one, and I've thought about getting one for it. The idea of listening to anything with the earbuds has never appealled to me.