Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-15-2007, 09:40 AM   #76
vstefanyuk
Connoisseur
vstefanyuk began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grimo1re
I think they're safe, I had no problems with them. Also, most credit cards provide quite a bit of consumer protection and fraud protection. I scanned my credit card for them but wiped out the CVC code as under Mastercard and Visa card scheme rules companies are not allowed to *store* that information. They didn't have a problem with it and promptly sent my reader.
Thanks! I was thinking about this.

But, btw, how payment itself is doing in that case? Do they redirect to another site (similar to PayPal) after uploading scanned card?
vstefanyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2007, 01:52 PM   #77
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
I can't quite remember. You fill in their payment form and then you have to send the image of your card as a confirmation, and that's it, you don't have to go to any other pages after that. I don't think they use PayPal, unless you select that payment method.
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2007, 05:49 PM   #78
gabcarac
gabcarac began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300
I'm from Argentina. I've bought mine in New York last week and now I'm back in Buenos Aires. I think this product is absolutely amazing. I've also been able to replenish the credit with a non-US credit card. Before I finished the original $50, I've sent to myself a gift of $100... and it worked.

Way to go Sony! Keep titles coming and I'll buy. That's a promise.
gabcarac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 05:59 PM   #79
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Welcome to MobileRead, gabcarac, you sure know how to make an entrance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabcarac
Before I finished the original $50, I've sent to myself a gift of $100... and it worked.
Could you elaborate on that a bit? I know there are a LOT of folks interested in exactly how you did that little trick.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:14 PM   #80
gabcarac
gabcarac began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
Could you elaborate on that a bit? I know there are a LOT of folks interested in exactly how you did that little trick.
When I registered the device, I entered a valid US address. Needless to say it is not the address where my credit card is registered. When the $50 were half way used (I had $23 left), I just went to the option to send a gift credit. I selected $100 and sent it to an email account different than the one I registered with. This immediately charged my credit card $ 77. Then, I checked for the email and copied the gift code. Back in the account menu of the connect software, I copied the code in the option to redeem gifts and... that's it.

I guess that there is not much to what I did. I think the key is the valid US address and, probably (though cannot be sure), the fact that I had some credit left so part of the gift was paid with 'good' credit.

Hope this helps.
gabcarac is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2007, 06:33 AM   #81
blueowl
blueowl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Thumbs up bought Sony Reader from bhphotovideo to the Czech Republic

Hello e-ink fans,

I am just writing that yesterday came my new Sony Reader.
I've ordered it at bhphotovideo and payed via wire transfer (don't like credit cards).

It took just 5 days from the USA to the Czech Republic (awesome)
blueowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:39 AM   #82
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Excellent! Did you have to pay VAT on it when it arrived?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:47 AM   #83
blueowl
blueowl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
It's the best think.
I was fortunate and payed no customs (electronic devices are free of customs according czech rules) and even no VAT , which is more important for me as it would be 19%.
blueowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 06:54 AM   #84
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You were very lucky . I had to pay over €100 in taxes on mine when it arrived in the UK!
Old 03-28-2007, 07:00 AM   #85
vstefanyuk
Connoisseur
vstefanyuk began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueowl
Hello e-ink fans,

I am just writing that yesterday came my new Sony Reader.
I've ordered it at bhphotovideo and payed via wire transfer (don't like credit cards).

It took just 5 days from the USA to the Czech Republic (awesome)
Which delivering method did you choose? UPS?
vstefanyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:13 AM   #86
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Don't have one sent via a courier service (UPS, DHL, FedEx, etc). If a courier delivers it, they'll pay all the taxes on your behalf and then send you a bill for it, with a large "processing fee" added for good measure. That's what happened to me! Try to have it sent through the normal postal service.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:14 PM   #87
jupaen
jupaen began at the beginning.

Device: nokia 770
Hi,

I'm from Spain and I'm trying to buy sony reader in b&h but it's impossible, with two visas I have it tells me:
The following problems were found in your Payment information:

• Technical Problem
We have encountered a technical problem with your bank or credit card company while trying to authenticate your credit card. Your credit card has not been charged; please try again. If you continue to have this problem, please select a different payment method or contact us at 800.221.5743 or 212.239.7765.

What can I do?
thanks
jupaen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 08:10 PM   #88
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Just call or email them?
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 03:54 AM   #89
ath
Addict
ath doesn't litterath doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, Sony PRS-505, Kindle Paperwhite & Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupaen
We have encountered a technical problem with your bank or credit card company while trying to authenticate your credit card. Your credit card has not been charged; please try again. If you continue to have this problem, please select a different payment method or contact us at 800.221.5743 or 212.239.7765.

What can I do?
Probably nothing. This is very often a temporary connection problem, either between the shop and the US card company used, or between them and your local bank. (In some cases, it's because the shop doesn't want pay for verifying foreign cards.) I find it's often best to make purchases during shop office hours, if at all possible.

Try again, and if the problem remains, get in touch with the shop. You could also check with your local bank if any recent card verifications have been refused. However, as the error messages doesn't indicate that type of problem, it probably won't help.
ath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 04:45 AM   #90
AndiR
Rather interested
AndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle, Sony Ereader, Ipad & iPhone
Jupaen,

Send them a fax for the order!

I am not sure they will accept email or phone and trying to spell Spanish addresses is a pain over the phone.

Good luck and regards from Cádiz, AndiR
AndiR is offline   Reply With Quote