Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-24-2009, 04:13 PM   #361
yacoob
Zealot
yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.

Device: none
Hmm, doesn't seem to be working:
$ epub-meta accelerando.epub
Title : Accelerando-test
Author : Charles Stross
Producer : calibre (0.4.139) [http://calibre.kovidgoyal.net]
Tags : prose, singularity
Series : joyful exploits of merry manfred #1
Language : UND
Reader (Sony PRS-505) doesn't show up any collections. Anything else I need to do?
yacoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:14 PM   #362
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
you need to transfer it to the reader using the GUI
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 04:18 PM   #363
yacoob
Zealot
yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.yacoob is no ebook tyro.

Ah, this is exactly the part I wanted to avoid. Blast. I take that it's the xml db on the reader itself that gets updated during transfer? Any chance of having this functionality as a separate binary/script? Something like:
transfer2reader file1 file2 file3 /path/to/root/of/sdcard/or/reader
?
Pretty please?
Old 02-24-2009, 04:25 PM   #364
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yeah the xml db has to be updated. Sorry, too much work implementing a CLI for that.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:20 PM   #365
yacoob
Zealot

Aw, come on. It's all python modules that are already there, no?
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 09:16 PM   #366
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

xcellent opportunity for you to get your feet wet
Old 02-25-2009, 07:21 AM   #367
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Not exactly what you want, but it does create collections from command line.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29217
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:23 PM   #368
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Change of subject:

Kovid, I believe Nate opened a ticket about an EPUB conversion bug relating to << and >> marks used in text causing problems in the epub version. (Came up in a conversion of the Diamonds in the Sky online anthology.) Is that something likely to be corrected soon, or should we look for a workaround for that version?

Thanks.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:34 PM   #369
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
Change of subject:

Kovid, I believe Nate opened a ticket about an EPUB conversion bug relating to << and >> marks used in text causing problems in the epub version. (Came up in a conversion of the Diamonds in the Sky online anthology.) Is that something likely to be corrected soon, or should we look for a workaround for that version?

Thanks.
I know the workaround. Don't know the solution. In your source, replace << and >> with other text not already in the source. Then after the ePub is created, extract the html/xml and replace the faked text with the << and >> and put the html/xml that needed to be edited back into the ePub.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:50 PM   #370
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

That works for me, as I've indicated on the ticket. Some details about what OS and calibre version were used would be helpful
Old 03-02-2009, 06:40 PM   #371
Lave
Lave began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Hi,
firstly thank you for Calibre.
I have a little problem. I have a .txt ebook encoded in cp1250 (Central European). When I convert it to .lrf I have to specify "source encoding" because it doesn't autodetect correctly. So far so good.
But when I tried to convert it to .epub specifying "cp1250" on "Look & Feel => Source encoding" didn't help. Probably because it's for .html files only as comment says. Same applies for converting to .mobi.
I have Calibre 0.4.141 on Ubuntu 8.10
Thanks
Laco
Lave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:39 PM   #372
Student1
Groupie
Student1 doesn't litterStudent1 doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Hi,

looking for a tip to fix this problem when converting to epub (previously from html.toc file) :

I tried to use linearise tables but no luck. Just trying to make the text flowable so the right sides doesn t go off screen when viewed on my prs 505. Any css overide that could fix the problem?

thanks

Last edited by Student1; 03-02-2009 at 07:41 PM.
Student1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:09 PM   #373
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I know the workaround. Don't know the solution. In your source, replace << and >> with other text not already in the source. Then after the ePub is created, extract the html/xml and replace the faked text with the << and >> and put the html/xml that needed to be edited back into the ePub.
Why not use entities for < and > (&lt;&lt; and &gt;&gt?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 11:25 PM   #374
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lave View Post
Hi,
firstly thank you for Calibre.
I have a little problem. I have a .txt ebook encoded in cp1250 (Central European). When I convert it to .lrf I have to specify "source encoding" because it doesn't autodetect correctly. So far so good.
But when I tried to convert it to .epub specifying "cp1250" on "Look & Feel => Source encoding" didn't help. Probably because it's for .html files only as comment says. Same applies for converting to .mobi.
I have Calibre 0.4.141 on Ubuntu 8.10
Thanks
Laco
Just save your txt file in utf-8 as a workaround
Old 03-02-2009, 11:27 PM   #375
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@Student1

That's probably from a <pre> tag in the HTML. Unfortunately AFAIK you can't control the line wrapping with CSS