Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-07-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
Deep Cover
Deep Cover began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
new kindle, old PID?

CROSS-POST with Kindle forum

My kindle was lost or stolen (knowing me, probably lost). I got a new one and deregistered the old one. This has led to a small problem.

I use Calibre to manage my library. I've found that I can't change the title on my kindle with files that have DRM. This was a problem, because I'm a fan of mystery books, a genre where it's common to have a series about the same character, and I wanted to insert the series name and number (e.g., Poirot #4) before the title, so that I could see on my kindle which book was next in the series.

Therefore, my practice was to de-DRM AZW files, make the changes I wanted on Calibre, then (re-)upload to the kindle.

I've run into a problem: a book I had preordered several months ago was just published, and it seems it has the PID of my old kindle rather than my new one. Does anyone know where I might find the serial number of my old kindle hidden away somewhere?

Note: I'm not asking if there's a way to look at the AZW file and figure out the PID—that could be used, I suppose, to de-DRM any book from Amazon, whether or not you had bought it. What I'm wondering is if there's somewhere else—on Amazon's site, somewhere in the bowels of Calibre preferences—where my old serial number might be found.
Deep Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 01:29 PM   #2
Deep Cover
Deep Cover began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Problem solved. Went to "manage my kindle," sent the book to my new kindle, and now it's got the new PID.
Deep Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert