Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-29-2011, 01:02 PM   #1
PocketGoddess
Connoisseur
PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, KSO, Nook, iPad
Kindle Duplicates/Book Comparisons

I've got some duplicate books on my Kindle, and I'm not exactly sure why. I think that some of them may be from when I get those customer service emails that say a new updated/corrected version is available. When I say yes to get the new version, I thought the old one was automatically removed from my Kindle library.

The problem is that there's not a lot of information available to make the decision, even using Calibre. Sometimes the file with the newest date is significantly smaller. Generally the older one seems to be mobi format and the new one is htmlz, etc.

How do I figure out which ones to delete? Since the ASIN isn't visible (unless I'm missing something) I can't do a search on Amazon to see which one is the most current/most correct version.

Any ideas?
PocketGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:46 PM   #2
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool what i'd do

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketGoddess View Post
I've got some duplicate books on my Kindle, and I'm not exactly sure why. I think that some of them may be from when I get those customer service emails that say a new updated/corrected version is available. When I say yes to get the new version, I thought the old one was automatically removed from my Kindle library.

The problem is that there's not a lot of information available to make the decision, even using Calibre. Sometimes the file with the newest date is significantly smaller. Generally the older one seems to be mobi format and the new one is htmlz, etc.

How do I figure out which ones to delete? Since the ASIN isn't visible (unless I'm missing something) I can't do a search on Amazon to see which one is the most current/most correct version.

Any ideas?
here's what i'd do:

1. delete both/all of them.
2. go to 'archived' and download a new copy.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2011, 02:05 PM   #3
PocketGoddess
Connoisseur
PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But they are BOTH in my Kindle library, so that trick won't work. They show up twice in the archived items area, for example.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:11 PM   #4
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I would download the most recent one.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:44 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Could be a glitch on Amazon's servers. I've seen this happen before and the files have disappeared after a few days.

I would check your Manage Your Kindle page on Amazon, and see if they are duplicated there as well. It is certainly possible that you may have purchased a book twice. I did that once when it was listed under two different ASINs. If so, you can delete one of them from your Manage Your Kindle page, and afterwards it should no longer appear in your Archive.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2011, 03:12 PM   #6
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool call

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketGoddess View Post
But they are BOTH in my Kindle library, so that trick won't work. They show up twice in the archived items area, for example.
then call kindle customer service and report the problem.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:01 PM   #7
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
You mention calibre. If you have used calibre to convert or add data then the book you load is no longer the original book. As a result, Amazon can not delete it if it updates it.
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:55 PM   #8
PocketGoddess
Connoisseur

I've used Calibre a long time, but only for Baen, PDFs, etc.

I am a very new Kindle owner, though I have a large library of Kindle books. I just added all of the Amazon books to Calibre a couple of days ago, and am trying to get everything all cleaned up and organized. Once I figure out which of the duplicates are bad/old, I will delete them from Calibre and from the Manage Your Kindle page too.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:12 AM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
The duplicates on the "Manage Your Kindle" page could be because of ebooks that have been updated/corrected by the publisher. Amazon doesn't automatically overwrite the existing book in your archive with the new one. They leave that up to you, but you should have been notified in some way about them. Have you received emails from Amazon concerning updates to some of your purchases?
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 08:09 AM   #10
PocketGoddess
Connoisseur

I think that's where the dupes came from. I thought the old incorrect versions would be removed automatically when I said "yes" to the update email, but I suppose that's a little too 1984.
Old 07-30-2011, 09:27 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I think that's where the dupes came from. I thought the old incorrect versions would be removed automatically when I said "yes" to the update email, but I suppose that's a little too 1984.
Yes, they wanted to make sure that no one could jump all over them screaming "BIG BROTHER DELETED MY EBOOKS!!"
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote