Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 05-16-2011, 10:36 AM   #1
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
1 million download apps already on the nook color

very impressive

http://www.androidcentral.com/nook-c...-app-downloads
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:09 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Impressive indeed. It's quite telling that 4 out of the 5 top selling apps are games.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2011, 01:34 PM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I like this comment on the article:

Quote:
I think B&N is smart enough to realize that the root users saved their bacon vs. Kindle and iPad.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:04 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Exactly how is that impressive? I read that 3 million NCs were sold, that translates to one app per every three NCs. Not very impressive at all. And neither is the NC.
Old 05-16-2011, 02:18 PM   #5
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Exactly how is that impressive? I read that 3 million NCs were sold, that translates to one app per every three NCs. Not very impressive at all. And neither is the NC.
You're right I'm sorry no Apple logo on the back, so it's not impressive.

sorry
Advert
Old 05-16-2011, 02:22 PM   #6
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
That's wild, considering how many NC owners aren't even using B&N's market. How many NCs have sold?
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:07 PM   #7
emt
Nameless Being

The real idiocy here is that BN maybe sitting on a goldmine for apps and the fools running their app store have a grand total of 151 apps as of today - most of them way overpriced (like Missing Sync - the morons at markspace price it at $40!
Old 05-18-2011, 07:26 PM   #8
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by emt View Post
The real idiocy here is that BN maybe sitting on a goldmine for apps and the fools running their app store have a grand total of 151 apps as of today - most of them way overpriced (like Missing Sync - the morons at markspace price it at $40!
+1 to that! I would like to download more apps, really. But I couldn't justify some of them when I can get them for free or cheaper on my phone. And, they need to expand their selection and open up to more of the Android marketplace. The progress has been slower than I anticipated.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:47 PM   #9
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
I'm wondering what they actually demand of developers in terms of tailoring their apps to the NC. The vast majority of apps from Google's market work just fine as-is in CM7 and, so I've read, rooted stock.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:06 AM   #10
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
I don't know what the percentages are, but I would bet that most Color Nook users have NOT rooted their Nooks, so if this is true, then most users are restricted to the B&N app store. So therefore it would seem that it would pay for developers to customize their apps for the CN. They have sold a lot of CNooks!

As far as the prices, it is annoying to see prices lower for other devices, but I don't think that most folks are going to balk at spending say $2.99 instead of $1.99 for some app (I see a lot of people ranting about this in the reviews). Of course, B&N is counting on this, I suppose, which is possible with a captive audience (non-rooters).

Last edited by RAH; 05-19-2011 at 08:08 AM.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 10:46 AM   #11
jswinden
Nameless Being

Regardless of what logo is on the back of the NC, it is not a very good reader or tablet as long as it runs 1.2 stock. I personally hate Apple and Steve Jobs, but I'll deal with them if they produce a product that works for me. The same goes for any other company. So far I'm totally disappointed in the 1.2 stock NC. Firmware 1.2 has slowed down my NC considerably from 1.1, has made the reader app even worse as it now won't remember which page I was on when I closed the app, and it has seriously and adversely affected battery life. I updated to 1.2 not for the apps but because I had hoped that B&N had updated the stock reader app to make it comparable to other readers. Instead B&N made little to no improvements to the NC as a READER!

As far as the apps go, there are too few to be anything but a market place joke. And the NC is way too underpowered and way too hindered by the awful B&N hybrid OS to run them anyway. Everything about the NC screams halfa$$ed!
Old 05-19-2011, 11:34 AM   #12
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
I'm wondering what they actually demand of developers in terms of tailoring their apps to the NC. The vast majority of apps from Google's market work just fine as-is in CM7 and, so I've read, rooted stock.
The nook screen has some dead zones and changes some of the system tools like the system dialog box and system settings. I'm sure nook apps must customize the UI to handle these issues.

An example is ezPDF, this app just does not work properly on CM7 or nook because some of the buttons are placed in a zone where the screen does not reponde. I'm guessing ezPDF would have to alter their UI to work with the nook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
And the NC is way too underpowered and way too hindered by the awful B&N hybrid OS to run them anyway. Everything about the NC screams halfa$$ed!
Actually the hardware is really good for the price (it has the same capacity as the iPad and Tab). It's just that awful customized OS they put on it that stinks. I think you give to much credit to the nook on their 1.1 software, I was ready to return the device. Had I not rooted and then ultimately upgrade the OS I would have returned it and written off the nook.

Folks that have updated their device to run say CM7 and installed real eReading apps like (Alkdio/Moon/CoolReader/ezPDF/RepliGo) are really enjoying an excellent product.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:43 AM   #13
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post

Folks that have updated their device to run say CM7 and installed real eReading apps like (Alkdio/Moon/CoolReader/ezPDF/RepliGo) are really enjoying an excellent product.

=X=
I would include the NOOK for Android app as well.

Last edited by SCION; 05-19-2011 at 11:48 AM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 02:02 PM   #14
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I agree, the nook app on my Droid is fantastic.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #15
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
right I forgot that one. I also forgot to mention the Kindle 4 Android.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote