Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-24-2010, 10:56 AM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Spectacular places for e-book devices to end up

I was just wondering: what is the most spectacular place you and your e-ink based e-book reader have ended up together?
Did the e-book reader perform as expected at your unusual locale?
What sort of reaction did you get from the locals (if any) to your liseuse?
Photographic evidence would be welcome

Last edited by AprilHare; 04-24-2010 at 10:59 AM.
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:11 PM   #2
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Inside of a dog.

But it was too dark to read.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:43 PM   #3
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee View Post
Inside of a dog.

But it was too dark to read.
You ended up inside a dog? How do you manage that trick, with a liseuse in tow?
Old 04-24-2010, 09:51 PM   #4
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
It's from a quip attributed to Groucho Marx: "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 09:52 PM   #5
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is from a Mark Twain quote:

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, its too dark to read."
— Mark Twain

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/show/144063
Old 04-24-2010, 10:00 PM   #6
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It is from a Mark Twain quote:

"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, its too dark to read."
— Mark Twain

http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/show/144063
I don't know who said it. I used the word "attributed" because that's what most websites such as this one (also goodreads) give as the source--but without saying when or where it was said. I'm always suspicious of quotes on the web!

EDIT: The Essential Groucho: Writings by, for and About Groucho Marx edited by Stefan Kanfer credits Groucho as the source. That isn't to say he is, as I've known more than one book to contain bogus quotes.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 04-24-2010 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:12 PM   #7
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Neither of these are particularly unusual, but...

The place I've had the best response to my ebook device was in the waiting room of the place where I see my optometrist and shop for new glasses and/or pick up my contact lenses. (They are always busy and there is always a wait.) The ability to change the font size seems to be a big draw!

The place I'm seen most frequently with my Sony 700 is at McDonald's while waiting to pick up my daughter from some activity. I live too far away to drive all the way home from town only to go back again a short while later, and I actually look forward to those occasions with my Sony, something to drink and tucked away in a back booth. I've only had a couple questions, usually from crew members, probably because I give the appearance that I'm really enjoying my time (which I am) and don't want to be disturbed (which would not be the case... I really don't bite!)
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 10:22 PM   #8
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I don't know who said it. I used the word "attributed" because that's what most websites such as this one (also goodreads) give as the source--but without saying when or where it was said. I'm always suspicious of quotes on the web!
I posted my reply at the same time you were posting yours, I wasn't attempting to question it. I had always heard it attributed to Mark Twain. And, back when Amazon first started, they actually sent Christmas presents to their customers each year. One year, the gift they sent me was an Amazon.com mousepad with that quote on it, and the attribution to Mark Twain.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:40 PM   #9
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
I posted my reply at the same time you were posting yours, I wasn't attempting to question it. I had always heard it attributed to Mark Twain. And, back when Amazon first started, they actually sent Christmas presents to their customers each year. One year, the gift they sent me was an Amazon.com mousepad with that quote on it, and the attribution to Mark Twain.
You've got me curious to find the source of that quote now. I can't find it in Wikiquote under Twain or Marx, although it sounds like something either might have said, and the page I read in The Essential Groucho didn't mention a time, place, or original writing by Marx in which the quote was found, but it does state the following in the Introduction on page xv:

His line, "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read" adorns the Vancouver, British Columbia library, complete with credit chiseled in stone.

So who's right? The Amazon.com mousepad, or the Vancouver, British Columbia library? Goodreads (Groucho), or Goodreads (Twain)?
Old 04-25-2010, 08:14 AM   #10
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
You've got me curious to find the source of that quote now. I can't find it in Wikiquote under Twain or Marx, although it sounds like something either might have said, and the page I read in The Essential Groucho didn't mention a time, place, or original writing by Marx in which the quote was found, but it does state the following in the Introduction on page xv:

His line, "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read" adorns the Vancouver, British Columbia library, complete with credit chiseled in stone.

So who's right? The Amazon.com mousepad, or the Vancouver, British Columbia library? Goodreads (Groucho), or Goodreads (Twain)?
Are there any MobileRead readers within striking distance of Vancouver BC library to take a photograph for us as evidence?
Old 04-25-2010, 09:22 AM   #11
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
A Googlefight comes out 24,400 to 10,700 in favor of "outside dog Mark Twain" over "outside dog Groucho Marx".

I've always heard it attributed to Twain too, but it does have that inimitable Groucho flavor, come to think of it...still, it wouldn't be the first time a comedian swiped a good line!
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 11:00 AM   #12
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayrad View Post
A Googlefight comes out 24,400 to 10,700 in favor of "outside dog Mark Twain" over "outside dog Groucho Marx".

I've always heard it attributed to Twain too, but it does have that inimitable Groucho flavor, come to think of it...still, it wouldn't be the first time a comedian swiped a good line!
And if I know my Internet, fewer than 10 (and perhaps as few as zero) of those 35,100 sites bother to give an original source for the quote. Most of these sites simply regurgitate what they've seen on other web pages. A person can get really stupid really quick by believing things found on quotations pages such as brainyquote.com, famous-quotations.com, and great-quotes.com (not to be confused with that erudite and well-researched book by George Seldes, The Great Quotations).

But to get back on topic, this is a bit of an out-of-the-usual if not exactly spectacular place to read an ereader:

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 05-01-2010 at 11:26 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:38 PM   #13
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
Are there any MobileRead readers within striking distance of Vancouver BC library to take a photograph for us as evidence?
WDE ?

edit : also, Tom, i am exceedingly jealous of that bathtub.

Last edited by zelda_pinwheel; 04-25-2010 at 07:41 PM.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:05 PM   #14
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprilHare View Post
I'll try and remember my camera the next time I'm going to be near the library. I'm not aware of any inscription, but it's a big place.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 08:09 PM   #15
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
WDE ?

edit : also, Tom, i am exceedingly jealous of that bathtub.
Forgive my ignorance, but what does WDE stand for?