Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-12-2006, 07:53 PM   #1
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Connect Store frustration

Just tried to find something reasonable to us my $50 credit on - FRUSTRATING.
  • Top priority - No copyright date. I don't know whether a book has just been released or is a hundred years old.
  • Categories are too few and too mixed, e.g., westerns in the history section.
  • When a section is sorted by something other than "Relevance" and you look at a book's details, when you go back, it is again sorted by Relevance.

We have a thread for suggestions for improving the Connect software. Should we start one to improve the web site or is it just too far gone to even begin. Even if they had reasonable priced, more popular books (i.e. books I like), the purchasing experience is very frustrating.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 09:31 PM   #2
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
I totally agree on the copyright date thing, plus I miss a lot of the other book details your typical book browser has. Just copy all the book details from Amazon or get them from the eBook publisher.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-12-2006, 10:09 PM   #3
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Yeah, when I browse, I'm using the store in conjunction with eReader.com and Amazon.com also.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 10:59 PM   #4
sloc187
sloc187 began at the beginning.

My biggest complaint with the Sony Connect Store is that it is extremely SLOW when running through the Connect software, even though I have broadband cable internet. What's the deal?
sloc187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 09:21 AM   #5
MelancholyTea
MelancholyTea began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda
Just tried to find something reasonable to us my $50 credit on - FRUSTRATING.[list][*]Top priority - No copyright date. I don't know whether a book has just been released or is a hundred years old.
What's wrong with looking at the Publish Date?
MelancholyTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-13-2006, 10:24 AM   #6
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Because not every book has the publish date. They seem to have varying amounts of details for the books. One I click on has file size, publisher, publish date, pages, print ISBN and eBook ISBN numbers, another just has file size and publisher, or even a cover picture.

To be honest my biggest frustration with the store right now is selection. It seems like almost every time I try to find a book on there, it isn't available. I've bought three books so far and last night spent literally over an hour trying to find another book I wanted to purchase. I hope Sony is tracking search terms and browsing to see where people's areas or interest are and actively try to beef it up.

This is my first eReader, and my first eBook purchase was at the Connect store. I don't really have any big desire to go outside the store, then I have to worry about formatting, DRM compatibility, etc... but right now to get things to read I don't have much choice.

Last edited by Leaping Gnome; 10-13-2006 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:37 AM   #7
MelancholyTea

Again, I'd caution against blaming Sony so quickly. Publishers are the ones who make their titles available for eBooks. But I guess if the books you are looking for are available on eBooks.com and eReader, then it may be a problem.

Basically, the eBook industry needs more consumers in order to get more attention. The Sony Reader is by no means perfect, but hopefully it's a large step on the way there.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:45 AM   #8
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist

Well, I'm not really blaming anyone, just stating I wish it was better. Many of the books I looked for are available in eBook format at other sites, like mobipocket. eBooks.com says they have almost 70,000. I look forward to when the Connect store has this kind of selection.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:01 AM   #9
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelancholyTea
What's wrong with looking at the Publish Date?
Many books get second or more publishings. The original copyright date should remain the same. Sometines the republishing has a new title as well - a sneaky way for publishers to get us to buy the book again (Of course that is just "Good Business" and not "Piracy" of any sort.)
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 11:19 AM   #10
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist

Not piracy, just fraud.
Old 10-13-2006, 11:49 AM   #11
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I wonder if Sony is getting the html or Word file from the publisher and then converting it themselves? Most publishers either use Overdrive or Lightning source to format and then distribute their books.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 12:29 PM   #12
MelancholyTea

Quote:
Originally Posted by da_jane
Most publishers either use Overdrive or Lightning source to format and then distribute their books.
Is that true?
Old 10-13-2006, 12:47 PM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I know they use some sort of electronic handling, but not what.

Jane seems to know a lot about the publishing industry's inner workings, I'm coming to accept her word on a lot of stuff there -- she might be mistaken, I suppose, but I really don't think she's making it up.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 02:51 PM   #14
ojleblanc
Enthusiast
ojleblanc began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone/Sony Reader
I posted about the price of a book that sells for $8.99 elsewhere, but $20.86 at Sony. Strangely, the price dropped for about a day to $7.99, then went back to the original price! What the heck is going on at the Connect Store?
ojleblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2006, 03:08 PM   #15
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
No, , I am not making it up. I am just a pretty curious person. Harper Collins outsources to Overdrive. http://www.overdrive.com/news/pr/11052001.asp. Penguin uses Lightning source (and I believe Kensington which is distributed by Penguin also uses it). http://news.com.com/2110-1023-272025.html.

Lightning Source also does Simon & Schuster: http://www.btinternet.com/~akme/lightng1.html

and I believe Random House but am not completely sure on that.

Last edited by da_jane; 10-13-2006 at 03:12 PM.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote