Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-13-2015, 05:56 PM   #451
The Chef
Enthusiast
The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.The Chef can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Onyx Boox i86 Plus (formerly M92)
I've had my i86 HDML Plus for a while now, and it's amazing!

My previous one was the M92 (another amazing one which is huge), so my comparisons are mostly with that.
For me the bigger the better, so the main thing which drew me to the i86 was the higher resolution.. and that does not disappoint, not just for pesky small text in some PDFs but especially when it comes to pictures/manga and diagrams (for a good example, see the Taylor Swift comparison pics from our friend here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=187)

I see people complaining about the frontlight. I wouldn't say it's perfectly even (a little brighter on sides and bottom) but it's fine for me.
Anyway I'm not gonna turn it up full brightness to read in the dark (imo that defeats that purpose of having e-ink to protect your eyes), it's mainly just to enhance the whiteness of the background, or perhaps add a little brightness indoors.

When I first started using it, it was the fastest responding e-ink device I had ever used (even left kindle in the dust), although now that I'd loaded up most of my 32GB microSD card it's a little slower, but still good.

My only REAL gripe at the moment is that every time I turn it on now, it takes a minute or two to "Preparing SD card" and "Checking for errors" before I can read anything.
I haven't ruled out a problematic SD card yet, but anyone know how to disable Checking SD card for errors? (I've already disabled "Auto Scan Books after SD Card mount", which already saved a ton of loading time)
I'm actually tempted to leave the SD card out out of the device (for the fastest boot time); 8GB internal memory is pretty decent for books.

The ports have been replaced by more modern ones; I'd be fine either way but I guess they are more future-proof.
Data/power: mini USB > micro USB. This matches my phone, so more convenient there.
Storage: SD card > microSD card. Again interchangeable with phone, although I'd slightly prefer full size SD cards being cheaper.

Hardware buttons are not the easiest to press, but they are sufficient and better than the devices that rely completely on touchscreen.

I would prefer a flush glass screen as I'm always worried about stuff getting caught in the bezel gap/corners, but that would mean capacitive touchscreen, which I read is a little less responsive than IR touch.
Waterproof would also be really nice (reading in the bath), but that's pretty wishful thinking for someone who also wants tons of features too (I think there are only 1 or 2 waterproof readers so far).

All in all I'm satisfied I've bought the best e-reader currently available on the market (feature-wise) and can't wait to start experimenting with Google Play apps (I know that won't work out perfectly, but hopefully more and more apps will eventually become e-ink friendly), especially the Kindle app, as I have bought some stuff on Kindle.

I've manually cut out an ipad screen protector (matte not glossy) and put it on the screen, but will probably get a full case/cover soon.
The Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:53 PM   #452
medwatt
Zealot
medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kindle 3 (dead); Nook ST (dead); Sony PRS-T1; Onyx i86+
After much deliberation, I've finally placed an order for the i86 plus. Let's hope it satisfies my needs. It should arrive anytime next week !
medwatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2015, 02:53 PM   #453
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by medwatt View Post
After much deliberation, I've finally placed an order for the i86 plus. Let's hope it satisfies my needs. It should arrive anytime next week !
Please give us your assessment of the unit when it arrives.

Thank you.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 03:28 PM   #454
medwatt
Zealot
medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.medwatt knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Please give us your assessment of the unit when it arrives.

Thank you.
I'll definitely do that. For me, its about reading PDFs and DJVUs. Most books I have are between 300-600 pages. I have some 1500 page Physics textbooks for reference. If the reader can handle that in a timely manner, then it'll have met my requirements.
I might also make a short video showing how the i86+ handles different types of PDFs and DJVU files which I believe is what most potential buyers would like to see. Everyone knows that EPUB/MOBI books usually pose no problem.
The only aspect of this reader that surprises me is despite its size, the battery rating is really low. This reader is about 4 times larger than my Huawei Ascend Mate 2 phone. The phone has a 4050mAh battery while the i86+ has 1700mAh battery .
Old 10-15-2015, 09:15 PM   #455
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think the thing that concerns me is the report of uneven lighting. I can live with software that might be a bit buggy, with the assumption that it will be tweaked periodically.
Advert
Old 10-15-2015, 09:54 PM   #456
medwatt
Zealot

Why exactly do you want to buy the onyx i86+? I ask because I see from the text below your avatar description that you have the whole repertoire of e-ink readers. I am currently without an e-ink device. Since 95% of all what I read are in PDFs, it makes sense to buy something that balances size, technology and price.
Obviously, the M96 might be the ideal for someone with my needs. But its price ($400+), low resolution and older technology held me back.
The Kobo Aura HD would have been ideal for me had it not been that there's also another device, about the space price, with a bigger screen.
I had refrained from buying another e-ink reader from the time my nook kicked the bucket. That was in 2012. The reason being that e-ink readers were not ready/optimized for PDF reading. I have been waiting since. So, when I saw the i86, I got excited. Even though it doesn't have the perfect specs, I believe it has achieved the level where one can comfortable load a PDF file without having to worry much about scrolling. I am of the opinion that most e-ink readers have reached their saturation level of what they can offer. Its just like buying smartphones nowadays. You can get one for $250 that does everything you need and you can get another for $800 because it offers some little feature that you don't care for.
Old 10-16-2015, 06:43 AM   #457
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

My larger Kobo is on the disabled list.
My Kindle Fire (tablet) is about 4 years old.
My Kindle DX-G is starting to act up.

The Ipad Air is almost always used by my wife now, although I do occasionally have access to it, of course.

I have a need for the new, the strange, the geeky, the obscure, the downtrodden. What better way to satisfy this s-t-r-a-n-ge, unaccountable urge than to BUY A NEW EBOOK READER!

The company is tiny...little...itty-bitty.

It's gotten some fairly good reviews. My hope is that the software will be improved.

I don't care for manga; I don't read it.

I'd be using the reader for normal novel reading. It looks like the perfect size for a hardback.

It looks like fun to own.

I'm also unimaginably wealthy. I actually have more than $400 in my checking account. The world is my oyster.
Old 10-16-2015, 09:49 AM   #458
medwatt
Zealot

Quote:
My larger Kobo is on the disabled list.

I'd be using the reader for normal novel reading. It looks like the perfect size for a hardback.
In that case, the i86+ might be excellent for your needs. Do you care about reading in the dark ?
Old 10-16-2015, 11:28 AM   #459
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
In that case, the i86+ might be excellent for your needs. Do you care about reading in the dark ?
Yes: In fact, that's a major requirement, in that I will be able to read in the dark. I like reading at night in bed, before going to sleep. No solely, of course; but it's a main part of my reading.
Old 10-16-2015, 11:31 AM   #460
Simn
Simn does all things with Zen-like beautySimn does all things with Zen-like beautySimn does all things with Zen-like beautySimn does all things with Zen-like beautySimn does all things with Zen-like beautySimn does all things with Zen-like beautySimn does all things with Zen-like beautySimn does all things with Zen-like beautySimn does all things with Zen-like beautySimn does all things with Zen-like beautySimn does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Onyx Boox i86, Pocketbook Inkbad, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Additionally, is there an option on the default PDF reader to automatically trim margins? Thanks.
It has 4 options for margins:
- adjust automatically: just left and right, all sides
- adjust manually: all pages the same, even and uneven different

It has 7 options for spliting the document and you can decide if you want every page alone or scroll from one to the other.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151012_172526.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	595.4 KB
ID:	142890  
Simn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 11:34 AM   #461
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Simn, is the light on in your photo?

Thanks.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:30 PM   #462
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simn View Post
It has 4 options for margins:
- adjust automatically: just left and right, all sides
- adjust manually: all pages the same, even and uneven different

It has 7 options for spliting the document and you can decide if you want every page alone or scroll from one to the other.
I haven't seen this menu yet?

How did you get in this menu options? Which reader software did you use?
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 03:36 PM   #463
Simn
Simn does all things with Zen-like beautySimn does all things with Zen-like beautySimn does all things with Zen-like beautySimn does all things with Zen-like beautySimn does all things with Zen-like beautySimn does all things with Zen-like beautySimn does all things with Zen-like beautySimn does all things with Zen-like beautySimn does all things with Zen-like beautySimn does all things with Zen-like beautySimn does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Simn, is the light on in your photo?
Thanks.
No, its off. Its just sunlight.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:48 PM   #464
Simn

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
I haven't seen this menu yet?
How did you get in this menu options? Which reader software did you use?
Its the built-in OnyxNeoReader, not OnyxReader
Tap short in the middle is the screen > tap "Navigation", the eye-icon > tap "More settings"
I got the build number: 2015-08-25_18-14_1.7.3_157eald

Last edited by Simn; 10-16-2015 at 04:33 PM.
Old 10-16-2015, 03:55 PM   #465
medwatt
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simn View Post
No, its off. Its just sunlight.
Would you mind taking a picture in the dark and commenting on the frontlight. Some people base their decisions on that.