Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-12-2015, 12:11 PM   #361
freeaz
freeaz is kind to children and small, furry animalsfreeaz is kind to children and small, furry animalsfreeaz is kind to children and small, furry animalsfreeaz is kind to children and small, furry animalsfreeaz is kind to children and small, furry animalsfreeaz is kind to children and small, furry animalsfreeaz is kind to children and small, furry animalsfreeaz is kind to children and small, furry animalsfreeaz is kind to children and small, furry animalsfreeaz is kind to children and small, furry animalsfreeaz is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: ONYX BOOX i86 HDML PLUS
Does anyone know how to remove the notification bar at the top when using an external app like moon reader+ to read a book so that i can use the whole screen for reading
freeaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:17 PM   #362
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
From within a book bring up the menu that has your fonts and stuff.
Select "settings."
Select "system."
Unchecked the "enable system status" box.
Return to reading.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2015, 02:02 PM   #363
freeaz
freeaz is kind to children and small, furry animalsfreeaz is kind to children and small, furry animalsfreeaz is kind to children and small, furry animalsfreeaz is kind to children and small, furry animalsfreeaz is kind to children and small, furry animalsfreeaz is kind to children and small, furry animalsfreeaz is kind to children and small, furry animalsfreeaz is kind to children and small, furry animalsfreeaz is kind to children and small, furry animalsfreeaz is kind to children and small, furry animalsfreeaz is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: ONYX BOOX i86 HDML PLUS
Thanks phogg I can do that with the built in readers but with moon+ reader pro app there is no settings menu I only get the app own menus
freeaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:09 PM   #364
DarkCookie
Developer
DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can use "ToogleFullscreen" external app. It has "Hide title bar" option.

I record short video with bluetooth mouse and internet browsing on my i86ml:
https://youtu.be/puFx7GKiNQg

Last edited by DarkCookie; 08-12-2015 at 03:11 PM.
DarkCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:54 PM   #365
pierro78
eInk-androidonaut newbie
pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx i86+, Lenovo tab s8-50, Galaxy Mega, Transformer T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCookie View Post
I record short video with bluetooth mouse and internet browsing on my i86ml:
https://youtu.be/puFx7GKiNQg
wow nice demo of the lightning web browser !
does it also work good with touch ?
pierro78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-12-2015, 04:07 PM   #366
DarkCookie
Developer
DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Actually it's working better on finger touch. I86ml has multitouch, so finger zoom in and out works flawlessly and A2 mode is not necessary.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:12 PM   #367
seltzered
Enthusiast
seltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud of

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kast View Post
So, based on Darkcookie's photos and impressions have they fixed the frontlight? Is it safe now to buy this?
I have the late June 'first production' batch i86, no idea if they would've changed leds between mine and the newerish one Darkcookie got. It's blueish to me, but I am fairly biased towards wanting a really red light at night - I've been using f.lux on all my machines and my phone for years though so my eyes are used to screens being a fairly warm hue at night.

This said, I have found the i86 backlight as-is useful for daytime scenarios like reading on a bus / cloudier days. That's partly why I haven't felt too motivated to tear it apart for the kapton tape hack.

Last edited by seltzered; 08-12-2015 at 04:20 PM.
seltzered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:32 PM   #368
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by seltzered View Post
You realize I'm the person that wrote that, right? I haven't had time to muck with the backlight on my i86, tried briefly prying things one day but a heat gun (which I don't have at the moment) might be needed to peel things back. If anyone does this please be careful around the thin plastic layer overlaying the screen - or else you'll get a dreaded 'glow worm'.
Heating the glass substrate unevenly sounds like a recipe for disaster if it is like ordinary plate glass (i.e. expands when heated). Does anyone know if the substrate is made with glass with a low expansion coefficient (like Pyrex)?
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:27 PM   #369
DarkCookie
Developer

I've got blue leds too, but in my perception background seems quite white as in my tablet LCD. I had imagined before that I will have definitely blue colour background while reading.
It is blue led without doubt anyway, but I am accustomed to this type screens.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:22 PM   #370
seltzered
Enthusiast
seltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud of

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Heating the glass substrate unevenly sounds like a recipe for disaster if it is like ordinary plate glass (i.e. expands when heated). Does anyone know if the substrate is made with glass with a low expansion coefficient (like Pyrex)?
Yeah, just to clarify I'm thinking you'd only need to heat the far edge of the device (i.e. where the page up/down buttons are) in order to get the soft-plastic frame cover off. IIRC there's some type of glue/tape used on the left edge, so this would just be a small amount of heat. From there you might then be able to find the latches/screws.

Still, you need to be careful if there's any tape around the edges where the actual eink screen is. If it's like the nooks, it's a very thin/fragile tape.
seltzered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2015, 10:01 PM   #371
pureaxis
pureaxis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pureaxis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pureaxis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pureaxis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pureaxis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pureaxis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pureaxis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pureaxis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pureaxis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pureaxis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pureaxis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Hanvon D31, Onyx i86ML
Does anyone have a working English dictionary file for the i86? My device doesn't seem to have a dictionary built-in.
pureaxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 06:50 AM   #372
DarkCookie
Developer

http://abloz.com/huzheng/stardict-dic/
Some you need compress to .dz format (you can use "dictzip" program). Default dictionary tool only supports compressed dictionaries.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:14 PM   #373
smayonak
Enthusiast
smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.smayonak is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: Onyx Boox i86+
Quote:
Originally Posted by seltzered View Post
You realize I'm the person that wrote that, right? I haven't had time to muck with the backlight on my i86, tried briefly prying things one day but a heat gun (which I don't have at the moment) might be needed to peel things back. If anyone does this please be careful around the thin plastic layer overlaying the screen - or else you'll get a dreaded 'glow worm'.
I wasn't aware, but the work you did was brilliant! Thank you!

Have you tried the mod with red kapton tape?
smayonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 12:07 PM   #374
Rivak
Rivak is kind to children and small, furry animalsRivak is kind to children and small, furry animalsRivak is kind to children and small, furry animalsRivak is kind to children and small, furry animalsRivak is kind to children and small, furry animalsRivak is kind to children and small, furry animalsRivak is kind to children and small, furry animalsRivak is kind to children and small, furry animalsRivak is kind to children and small, furry animalsRivak is kind to children and small, furry animalsRivak is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Onyx i86 HDML Plus
Question for other i86plus owners:

Is the ribbed plastic bezel above the pagebuttons pushed upwards a little to above the outer shell, creating a little bump ?
You can notice this to look from the side and without the cover.

Thanks...
Rivak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 01:32 PM   #375
pureaxis
pureaxis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pureaxis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pureaxis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pureaxis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pureaxis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pureaxis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pureaxis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pureaxis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pureaxis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pureaxis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pureaxis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Hanvon D31, Onyx i86ML
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivak View Post
Question for other i86plus owners:

Is the ribbed plastic bezel above the pagebuttons pushed upwards a little to above the outer shell, creating a little bump ?

Thanks...
I honestly have no problem with my device. I haven't seen any of the bending of the case like in some of the test production models.
pureaxis is offline   Reply With Quote