Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-24-2015, 11:09 AM   #331
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PBook 902† Kindle† Nook SimpleTouch† Onyx M92† i86† M96 N96ML NotePro
I have now used i86 for a while and found the problems listed below. Can someone check and confirm so that I can add them to the wishlist, please? I will update this post with the firmware version shortly, I don't have the reader on me right now.
  1. The power button placed at the bottom of the unit, the location is wrong and it is easy to depress it during the usage of the reader. It should really be at the top of the device.
  2. There is no indicator showing whether the backlight is on or off. It is impossible to say during the day by just looking at the screen.
  3. Unable to install Dropbox (works on M96). Says it's incompatible with the device.
  4. When scribbling in Neo Reader the eraser in 'line mode' switches itself off after a single tap (works fine on M96).
  5. The same eraser is VERY inaccurate, I actually thought it was broken but then I managed to clear the scribble by positioning my finger far above and to the right of the scribble. I thought that it may be a calibration issue, but scribbling itself *is* accurate. I could not find a 'Calibrate' option anyway.
  6. Sometimes, I don't know what triggers that, the display turns everything into 'porridge'. I haven't seen it happening in M96 but at least a long press of 'Home' button in M96 does a full screen refresh. I don't see a way to manually refresh the screen in i86.
  7. The system-wide contrast setting sometimes lags (e.g. when browsing web pages) which results in this 'animation' where you can see blocks of the screen becoming dark one after another until the page fully loads. It's quite distracting.
machinogodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:14 PM   #332
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by machinogodzilla View Post
I have now used i86 for a while and found the problems listed below. ...[*] Sometimes, I don't know what triggers that, the display turns everything into 'porridge'. I haven't seen it happening in M96 but at least a long press of 'Home' button in M96 does a full screen refresh. I don't see a way to manually refresh the screen in i86.
Manually refresh the screen: long press of top arrow.
It's the first thing I posted, being it paramount ; )
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2015, 02:39 PM   #333
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by smayonak View Post
Your review on it was fantastic, by the way. While you did conclude on the note that the i86 was better in almost every aspect to the competing 8" e-reader, other than the backlight, I am left with the impression that those who don't care about the backlight should be very happy with it.

I'm hoping you hang onto your i86 until Android 4.4 releases on it, so you can do a follow up review.
Thanks!
That review was a refresehr because I was having trouble writing the main review (which is why it has taken me a month) I intend to write a more complete review this weekend.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 04:44 PM   #334
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
I received a nice case in the mail today - a promised part of the first-batch deal.
It has a thin hard-plastic shell that fits the back side of the i86 snugly, an elastic strap to hold it closed, and a flap that acts as a stand for reading in landscape mode. And it has magnetic i86 on/off when you open/close it.
Very minimal, works well.

Last edited by EldRick; 07-24-2015 at 05:28 PM.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:14 AM   #335
rgm
Enthusiast
rgm began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
I received a nice case in the mail today - a promised part of the first-batch deal.
It has a thin hard-plastic shell that fits the back side of the i86 snugly, an elastic strap to hold it closed, and a flap that acts as a stand for reading in landscape mode. And it has magnetic i86 on/off when you open/close it.
Very minimal, works well.

Picture please.
Thanks
rgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2015, 12:21 PM   #336
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
Image earlier in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=245
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 01:19 PM   #337
seltzered
Enthusiast
seltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Manually refresh the screen: long press of top arrow.
It's the first thing I posted, being it paramount ; )
Wow, thanks for finding this. (for those curious, mdp's referring to the topmost physical page turn button (left arrow) ).

NOTE: ideally i'd rather have manual refresh as a soft button in the menubar. it seems like manual refresh doesn't seem to work when watching a video (yeah, I'm growing to like the idea of watching conf vids in eink) using VLC, as the buttons seem to switch to changing volume then.

Last edited by seltzered; 07-25-2015 at 01:26 PM.
seltzered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 03:17 PM   #338
rgm
Enthusiast
rgm began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
Thanks!
rgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:59 PM   #339
seltzered
Enthusiast
seltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud ofseltzered has much to be proud of

For those with the cases, is the device actually going into / out of sleep when closing/opening the case?

I just got mine today (thanks booxtor!) but it doesn't seem to go into the sleep mode at all, and haven't found any settings yet to indicate I forgot to enable something - perhaps they removed the magnet from the design altogether?

EDIT: Oh wait, just noticed it work and unlock on case open after letting it sit for a few minutes. guessing there's some hysteresis baked in so it doesn't accidentally jump into this. Or it's just a bit more intermittent as they replaced it with a weaker magnet to fix earlier issues. Huh.

Last edited by seltzered; 07-28-2015 at 04:06 PM.
seltzered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:05 PM   #340
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seltzered View Post
For those with the cases, is the device actually going into / out of sleep when closing/opening the case?

I just got mine today (thanks booxtor!) but it doesn't seem to go into the sleep mode at all, and haven't found any settings yet to indicate I forgot to enable something - perhaps they removed the magnet from the design altogether?

EDIT: Oh wait, just noticed it work and unlock on case open after letting it sit for a few minutes. guessing there's some hysteresis baked in so it doesn't accidentally jump into this. Or it's just a bit more intermittent as they replaced it with a weaker magnet to fix earlier issues. Huh.
Yes, it's a smartcover.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:14 PM   #341
DarkCookie
Developer
DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
New firmware (V1.7.3_rc1) has been released on official onyx forum. Changelog is in Chinese so not much I understand. There is something about fixing bluetooth, A2 and APP on SD installations I think. I wonder about kitkat update, but probably not yet.

Last edited by DarkCookie; 08-03-2015 at 08:29 PM.
DarkCookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:15 PM   #342
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCookie View Post
New firmware (V1.7.3_rc1) has been released on official onyx forum. Changelog is in Chinese so not much I understand. There is something about fixing bluetooth, A2 and APP on SD installations I think. I wonder about kitkat update, but probably not yet.
Link, please?
Old 08-03-2015, 08:21 PM   #343
DarkCookie
Developer
DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DarkCookie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

http://bbs.onyx-international.com.cn...23402-1-1.html
Old 08-03-2015, 08:26 PM   #344
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Thanks! It wasn't showing up on my device.
Old 08-04-2015, 10:03 AM   #345
DarkCookie
Developer

Ereader-store has started process of shipping next batch to clients. I have got "currently in transit" status with tracking number.