Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-16-2011, 06:49 PM   #1
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Kobo Touch review: 'flawed (at best) or nightmarish (at worst)'

Ouch. I wanted to like this, but ouch!

Positive:

Quote:
The touch response on the Kobo is faster, more immediate than any other touch reader—basically instant.
And the bad:

Quote:
Nearly every software-based feature outside of the actual e-reader is flawed (at best) or nightmarish (at worst). Automatically connecting to Wi-Fi, or even remembering networks, is inconsistent. The keyboard (oddly) is fairly unresponsive, not to mention inaccurate. The device locked up and crashed at least a couple of times. And though the narrower face of the Kobo is aesthetically more appealing than the Nook, I found my thumbs spilling onto the screen—a problem on a touchscreen-controlled device.
I'm not supporting BN, so I guess I'll grab a KSO...

http://gizmodo.com/5812387/kobo-touc...to-love-it-but
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
So Gizmodo wasn't a fan; Crunch Gear was more positive:

Quote:
Superficially similar to the new Nook, but the Kobo is perhaps even simpler, and the form factor is slightly more book-like. If you don’t need 3G or the other perks of the Kindle ecosystem, and just want a straightforward e-book reading device, this Kobo could be a good match.
http://www.crunchgear.com/2011/06/13...touch-edition/

And this reviewer provided more comprehensive details:

Quote:
Kobo hit a home-run with the Kobo Touch due to the quality build design and the robust functionality! I had the original Kobo e-Reader and the Kobo Wireless. This model seriously puts those two to shame! The touchscreen display should be easier for your average user to wrap their heads around, since almost all hand held mobile devices are touch screen. ... This new Kobo Touch gets everything right and is an upgrade in every way from previous models. The two great functions are the inclusion of a web browser to surf the internet, check your email, and even buy books from other stores directly. Also Reading Life is a very unique program that currently no other e-reader company has sought to implement. ... Another great thing about the Kobo Touch is the slim design; it weighs less and is slimmer than previous models. It maintains the matted back design so it will not slip out of your hands and provides a good grip.
http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...ouch-e-reader/

And, yes, it's true: it doesn't play mp3s. But then, it's a Simple ebook ereader -- that IS the point of it.

At the price point with wifi, touch screen (responsive keyboard, excellent tap response to turn pages), live bookmarking updates across multiple devices (contrary to the Gizmodo review, this DOES work), full epub support including public library access, a decent pdf renderer, and the ability to display deDRMed mobi files ... it's great value and very credible choice.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2011, 07:57 PM   #3
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
For nothing more than a plain ereader, it looks fine to me.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:00 AM   #4
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
I wish they were available in Australia. I might get one and donate the eclipse to DH. i'd certainly like to have a play with one.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:40 AM   #5
cofu11ab
cofu11ab began at the beginning.

Device: none
I just got mine in today, and I'd say that the device is just fantastic for reading. A little limited on the formatting front and the store is a little slow (boh of these which will probably be fixed via updated firmware) but the actual reading experience I found to be nearly identical to the Nook STR.
cofu11ab is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-17-2011, 04:35 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I grow tired of those reviews that will give a reader a bad review because "its store is much smaller than ....".
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:40 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The fact that the Kobo doesn't support hyperlinks is a killer for me. It makes it impossible to read footnotes in a book - many of the books that I read have extensive footnotes.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:55 AM   #8
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
The article linked in the OP didn't seem that negative to me. I mean it starts by saying that in some areas it is better than the new nook and the kindle 3.

The negative points have to do with features that are not reading specific, and the fact that since it is narrower, his fingers touched the screen. And this last thing made me realize that I don't remember reading a review done by a woman. I am curious if there are in fact any reviews done by women.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:28 PM   #9
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Cnet seemed to like it just fine.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...?tag=cnetRiver
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:41 PM   #10
outlander78
Zealot
outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.outlander78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Arc 7
Kobo always seems to have a reading-specific bug that keeps me from buying.

Six months ago, when I bought my Sony 650, I spent a month shopping around. The 650 cost twice as much, but had what I wanted. The Kobo lacked a touch screen, but more importantly, could not jump to a page.

Today, Kobo has a competitor for the 650, but if it can't follow hyperlinks in epubs, and still does not have comparable PDF viewing options, then it is still a bad buy.

Kobo is a Canadian company, or at least a Canadian front, and I would love to support it, but they always come up short. I could say the same about their storefront vs amazon.ca, but since Kobo sells epubs and Amazon does not, I can at least say 100% of my purchases have been through Kobo.
outlander78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:43 PM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The Kobo Touch does follow hyperlinks in ePUBs--at least for things like endnotes and in newspapers. I haven't tried any others.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:00 PM   #12
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The fact that the Kobo doesn't support hyperlinks is a killer for me. It makes it impossible to read footnotes in a book - many of the books that I read have extensive footnotes.
Where do you get this from? That would be a significant failure to support the ePub standard.

@outlander78: One of the reasons I'm interested in the Touch is that its ability to handle PDFs on a small screen seems better than the implementation offered by Sony.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:09 PM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
Where do you get this from? That would be a significant failure to support the ePub standard.
Where do I get it from? I don't know, but it's perfectly true . Neither the original Kobo nor the new Kobo Touch support hyperlinks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 04:54 PM   #14
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
I am curious if there are in fact any reviews done by women.
Mine, from Teleread, June 12..
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:04 PM   #15
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Harry, I believe they consider it a beta feature, still, so it is not advertised. Newspapers and magazines supported hyperlinks for the WiFi edtion, as well.

One of the Kobo staff reading and responding in the Kobo forum mentioned it. In this way, it is like other things the reader does--for example, it supported additional file types in the WiFi version, but was never advertised as having that capability.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote