Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-03-2015, 05:26 PM   #256
pureaxis
pureaxis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pureaxis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pureaxis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pureaxis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pureaxis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pureaxis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pureaxis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pureaxis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pureaxis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pureaxis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.pureaxis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Hanvon D31, Onyx i86ML
I been deciding between the M96 and the i86, can anyone give an opinion regarding which is better for pdf reading? I'm a student and I have to deal with tons of scanned documents. Is the extra resolution worth it on the i86 vs. larger screen real estate?
pureaxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:07 PM   #257
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
How good are your eyes? Higher resolution is only useful if you don't have to strain to read the numbers.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 06:19 AM   #258
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PBook 902† Kindle† Nook SimpleTouch† Onyx M92† i86† M96 N96ML NotePro
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnuX View Post
Hello there awesome people! First post here, but as we're all on the same train might as well say hi and share some of my experiences.
Great review and some valid points there, thanks. You really looked closely

I added a 'bugtracker' page to the wiki. You can describe your findings there so that they don't get buried amongst thousands of posts on this forum. You could just mention them briefly and backlink to your forum post to avoid duplication of effort.

There is also a wiki page for i86 that some other kind soul added where normally all useful info gets collated for the very same reason (see M96 wiki for some examples).
machinogodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 07:58 AM   #259
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pureaxis View Post
I been deciding between the M96 and the i86, can anyone give an opinion regarding which is better for pdf reading? I'm a student and I have to deal with tons of scanned documents. Is the extra resolution worth it on the i86 vs. larger screen real estate?
I'm not sure if I'll make it easier for you as I'm using both at the moment and I'm torn too.

Regarding scanned documents you may want to have a look at my earlier post. Albeit, you don't have much choice, there is no alternative (apart from tablets) that will help you with this.

Back to M96 vs i86 question. If you don't annotate your documents and don't care about note taking with your device (with e.g. Papyrus app) I think you should go with i86. It's not that you can't do it, it's that you will have to use your finger for that. Just bare in mind that 8" isn't massive and as EldRick hinted at the text will render nicely but is going to be small. The visible area is also going to be slightly smaller than in M96.

If you plan to scribble and writing with your finger does not appeal to you then go for M96. The resolution is good enough for text, the device is large enough, the text will be bigger and you get a stylus. Also you get more screen and less bezel with M96:

In the picture above you can compare M96 on the left, i86 on the right, and the real thing above.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:16 AM   #260
machinogodzilla
Addict

In one of the previous posts I was wondering why my M96 stylus, my another fatter stylus, a pencil, a cotton ear bud or anything I could find around me did not work with i86 screen. The answer turns out to be simple - too skinny!

A marker cap works so does a microSD card (careful not to scratch the screen though)

A plastic bottle neck ring demonstrates the way IR screen works especially well. Now all you need to do is to find an opaque ring like this, attach it somehow to a stylus and voila! You can scribble away
Old 07-05-2015, 10:11 AM   #261
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by EldRick View Post
How good are your eyes? Higher resolution is only useful if you don't have to strain to read the numbers.
@pureaxis: correctly the matter is «How good are your eyes?», but diametrically contrary to what EldRick states above, higher resolution is NECESSARY if you have too good eyes. To some of us 200 DPI is perfectly good (the i86 is 250 DPI), but go below it and we scream and run away in horror.

About the real estate and documents, also scanned: being as big as around the usable area of an A5, the i86 screen can be remarkable for fixed pagination (.pdf) books also in portrait mode, and if you use it landscape the width comes close of the usable area of an A4...

Last edited by mdp; 07-06-2015 at 03:32 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:01 AM   #262
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
In case anyone is interested, the stock TTS in the i86ML is crap.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 11:07 AM   #263
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anarres View Post
A short question for people who already have it. Which android apps work properly? I'm especially interested in feedly, offline browser, Greader, kiwix and twitter apps

Thanks and sorry my english
Feedly works.

What offline browser are you referring to?
Old 07-05-2015, 11:54 AM   #264
EldRick
Evangelist
EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!EldRick goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Aura H2O (i86, M96C, Mini&Glo, PRS-950, STR, K-Touch, K-DX, K-3)
I'm not arguing that lack of pixelation is not a good thing, but scanned documents are generally pretty low-res anyway.
EldRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 06:26 PM   #265
machinogodzilla
Addict

Someone has asked about the weight of the device, here's what my scales told me:

Code:
133g - 1.0x - Galaxy S4 mini Android mobile phone 4.3"
348g - 2.6x - i86 8"
502g - 3.8x - M96 9.7"
515g - 3.9x - Nook HD+ 9" (data from Wikipedia)
650g - 4.9x - iPad4 9.7" (data from Wikipedia)
743g - 5.6x - M96 wrapped in the cover

Last edited by machinogodzilla; 05-16-2016 at 08:40 PM. Reason: Added another device to the list.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:17 AM   #266
anarres
anarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the roughanarres is a jewel in the rough

Device: none yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Feedly works.

What offline browser are you referring to?
This one
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...odroid.offline
anarres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 10:34 AM   #267
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinogodzilla View Post
Someone has asked about the weight of the device, here's what my scales told me:

Code:
133g - Galaxy S4 mini Android mobile phone 4.3"
348g - i86 8" (2.6x)
502g - M96 9.7" (3.8x)
650g - iPad4 9.7" (4.9x) (data from Wikipedia)
743g - M96 wrapped in the cover (5.6x)
Thank you for this.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:21 AM   #268
freeaz
freeaz is kind to children and small, furry animalsfreeaz is kind to children and small, furry animalsfreeaz is kind to children and small, furry animalsfreeaz is kind to children and small, furry animalsfreeaz is kind to children and small, furry animalsfreeaz is kind to children and small, furry animalsfreeaz is kind to children and small, furry animalsfreeaz is kind to children and small, furry animalsfreeaz is kind to children and small, furry animalsfreeaz is kind to children and small, furry animalsfreeaz is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: ONYX BOOX i86 HDML PLUS
Hi
I just had ONYX BOOX i86 HDML PLUS. I tried reading an arabic book in epub format. Using FBreader and ereader it shows very well in Arabic but the problem is it is displayed from left to right. Is there a way to display the text from right to left.
freeaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:06 AM   #269
Ramana
Connoisseur
Ramana can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ramana can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ramana can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ramana can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ramana can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ramana can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ramana can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ramana can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ramana can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ramana can self-interpret dreams as they happen.Ramana can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Onyx Boox i86 Hdml plus
I am waiting for the video review of Onyx Boox i86 HDML.
Ramana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:12 AM   #270
pierro78
eInk-androidonaut newbie
pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pierro78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx i86+, Lenovo tab s8-50, Galaxy Mega, Transformer T100
http://ereader-store.de/en/onyx-boox...ont-light.html :
"Pre-order. Estimated shipping from 24th of July. "
pierro78 is offline   Reply With Quote