Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-27-2010, 04:15 PM   #76
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vienna01 View Post
Is your unhappiness with the 950 limited to the proportion issue?
Did you see it at a show etc.? Was it a production model? Or are you basing it upon the specs.

Proportion, pixel size and resolution etc aren't discussed much here. The iPhone shows that a small screen can really look great. How do ebook readers compare.
Answer:
Quote:
It means when you enlarge text size, you will get on 950 as much of text in one line as on 650. What is a point?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 01:10 AM   #77
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
I'm thinking of sticking it out a bit longer with my 505 for the 950 - I don't care about the wireless aspect at all, although if it works as a halfway decent occasional browser I won't complain! I want it for optimal reading of (PDF-format) library books.
I love my iPad for PDFs with goodreader. It's just plain awesome. Though, I think library books are not supported, yet. For books I stick with my PRS505/600.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2010, 10:43 PM   #78
mickeymammoth
mickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Forma
I've owned the PRS-500, PRS-600, iPad, and now the Kindle 3. My disappointment with the 600 was so huge, that I let my mother in law buy me a Kindle 3 because she's so in love with hers. I like it OK, but I have a number of quibbles: I keep pressing the page turn buttons by accident; the book management is weird; it can't reflow PDFs, so don't even go there; kindle format not standard. So I'm kind of tempted to ditch the kindle and get a 950. I actually want a touchscreen (that doesn't ruin the readability) and the wifi. Not sure if the form factor is what I want, but it seems like it might be nice. I really like what the 950 is offering. (re: the iPad: I feel it's just too big and heavy. I'm looking forward to a slightly smaller, thinner, lighter iPad with higher resolution. If they can get that going, even though it's not eink, it might just be killer. That said, my husband has gone completely over to the iPad as his reader, so it could be a male/female thing re: acceptable size and weight. Also, since the kindle can't deal with PDFs, my iPad is my PDF reader.). Anyway, my mother in law would kill me if I got a 950, but I'm thinking about it!

Last edited by mickeymammoth; 10-05-2010 at 10:45 PM.
mickeymammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:17 AM   #79
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
The ipad is a fine reader. If you can't read it on a table or resting on your belly, it will get heavy. I'd stick with the ipad myself but my son (1/2 owner) hogs it all the time making it difficult to read a book on it. I recently read a PDF on it and the ipad was wonderful. I think both an ipad and e-ink reader are nice compliments to each other.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:58 AM   #80
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
+1 for having iPad and eInk
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 01:10 PM   #81
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
+1 for PRS-650.

Got mine (black) today and it's way way better than the 600.
Awesome screen with no glare and very responsive touchscreen.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 01:38 AM   #82
rty
Zealot
rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.rty got an A in P-Chem.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle DXG, Kindle Paperwhite
* deleted *
rty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:10 PM   #83
esquire415
Enthusiast
esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 7" Notion Ink Adam
If I can get the 950 for $249 on Black Friday, I'll take it over the 650. With WiFi and 3G, does anyone know if you can browse the internet on the 950 or is it only limited to Sony's ebook store? I would like to be able to check the news, scores, weather, stocks, google, yahoo, facebook, web email, etc. with my eReader.

Last edited by esquire415; 10-10-2010 at 06:23 PM.
esquire415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 06:17 PM   #84
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire415 View Post
If I can get the 950 for $249 on Black Friday, I'll take it over the 650. With WiFi and 3G, does anyone know if you can browse the internet on the 950 or is it only limited to Sony's ebook store? I would like to be able to check the news, weather, stocks, etc. with my eReader.
I think (don't quote me on this one) that you will be able to browse using WiFi, but that you can only use 3g for the Sony store.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:33 PM   #85
esquire415
Enthusiast
esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.esquire415 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I think (don't quote me on this one) that you will be able to browse using WiFi, but that you can only use 3g for the Sony store.
Hmmmm....wouldn't it be more practical to use WiFi for the Sony Store and have 3G to browse the net since 3G has a wider scope than WiFi where you have to find a hotspot? Not sure why Sony is trying to limit web access, I thought it would cost more for them implementing a restriction like this.

But you may be correct although it has not been confirmed.
http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/tag/prs-950/

Last edited by esquire415; 10-12-2010 at 08:37 PM.
Old 10-13-2010, 09:36 AM   #86
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Hmmmm....wouldn't it be more practical to use WiFi for the Sony Store and have 3G to browse the net since 3G has a wider scope than WiFi where you have to find a hotspot? Not sure why Sony is trying to limit web access, I thought it would cost more for them implementing a restriction like this.

But you may be correct although it has not been confirmed.
http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/tag/prs-950/
More practical yes, less expensive no. They need to cover the costs of the 3G access where wifi is free.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:42 PM   #87
jboardman
Zealot
jboardman is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle, sony PRS900, Irex Iliad
Now that Sony has published the user's manual on the 950, I see that it does NOT have what they advertise in the initial splash - i.e. "Thoughtful navigation and button placement Designed for ease of use, the Reader Daily Edition™ provides intuitive navigation and button placement, including right and left-hand side page advance buttons." I guess we are stuck with either the finger wave page turn or the little button on the bottom left. I am also a bit disappointed that the page screen in the book reading mode does not state the title and author at the top as does the Kindle.

I was looking forward to both of these changes. I guess the PRS 950 is just a "juiced up" PRS 900. The Pearl screen alone may be worth it, but I wonder why Sony didn't incorporate the changes they advertised.
jboardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 12:41 PM   #88
esquire415
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboardman View Post
Now that Sony has published the user's manual on the 950, I see that it does NOT have what they advertise in the initial splash - i.e. "Thoughtful navigation and button placement Designed for ease of use, the Reader Daily Edition™ provides intuitive navigation and button placement, including right and left-hand side page advance buttons." I guess we are stuck with either the finger wave page turn or the little button on the bottom left. I am also a bit disappointed that the page screen in the book reading mode does not state the title and author at the top as does the Kindle.

I was looking forward to both of these changes. I guess the PRS 950 is just a "juiced up" PRS 900. The Pearl screen alone may be worth it, but I wonder why Sony didn't incorporate the changes they advertised.
Maybe you should write Sony which may be enough to pesuade them to live up to their promise before releasing the product. In addition I'm disappointed that they did not include color using color epaper technology (for reading graphic novels and magazines). $299 is a high price to pay without full 3G access (the Kindle and Nook has both full wifi and 3G web access for less and they have a better and cheaper bookstore).

For some reason Sony skipped color just like Amazon did. Both were rumored late last year to come out with a color eReader but they thought the technololgy is not yet ready for prime time. Both companies work with Prime View International (now E-Ink Holdings) for their Pearl ePaper display but I think the color technology did not live up to their expectations. I have a feeling that Amazon (and perhaps Sony) might ditch E-Ink (they just bought TouchCo which competes with PVI's touch screen display) in favor of more advanced color digital ink technologies from companies like Liquavista, Qualcomm, Bridgestone, Kent Displays, and SiPix.

Bridgestone and SiPix use the same electrophoretic technology as PVI so I don't think they will be partnering with Amazon or Sony. I think the next eReaders from these companies will have displays coming from Qualcomm (Mirasol) using interferometric modulation or Liquavista using electrowetting technology. Or maybe even Pixel Qi (3qi) which actually uses a different kind of LCD technology that would look like you are reading an epaper display (EPD). It's a hybrid technology where you can turn off the backlight to read the screen on EPD mode.

Don't you just love technology? Here are the players in this fast developing ePaper technology.
http://www.epapercentral.com/epaper-technologies-guide

Last edited by esquire415; 10-15-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:59 AM   #89
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
I don't know, I sure like that e-ink technology. I read my sony 650 last night with a lighted cover and boy does it look like a paperback book!

I have Pixel Qi's OLPC laptop screen. It is certainly nice but it is still going to have the weight and issues of an LCD. It has a switch for turning color to grey and it is readable outside.

I think the only better thing (resolution, quality, weight, power requirements) will be OLED - and that is still a ways off.
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:29 AM   #90
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Yes... but I love it even more when it's not promises but reality... in the mean time, I am enjoying a great reading experience on my PRS+ modded 505 whic actually exists...

Quote:
Don't you just love technology? Here are the players in this fast developing ePaper technology.
http://www.epapercentral.com/epaper-technologies-guide
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote