Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-04-2010, 07:01 AM   #1
Erinath
Shy Philosopher
Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Erinath knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Simple Touch, Nook HD+ & Kindle Keyboard (wifi only)
Kindle cover dilemma

I seem to now be going round & round in circles trying to figure out how to best protect my little K3. I thought the good people here might be able to offer some sage-like wisdom.

One of my concerns is no matter how safely I put my Kindle out of my children's reach, at some point they'll no doubt be able to get their hands on it. This means I have reservations about getting any cover that uses a hinge-based system, I know people keep reiterating that as long as people follow the instructions they need not worry about the hinge, but my youngest 2 just won't understand that. I therefore don't think either the Amazon or LeSportsac covers are for me.

M-Edge have moved away from the hinge system, plus they have a purple cover that looks reasonably ok (I love purple), but I was disappointed to find out their covers aren't leather ones & there's no indication as to when they'll be available. My reason for preferring leather is mainly durability, but also I really don't like the look or feel of man made leather.

I-Nique have covers that don't use the hinge system, they have a few covers that are made of leather too, and whilst their covers aren't released until the end of the month at least they are UK based & therefore it hopefully shouldn't take too long for the cover to reach me. The problem is I think I'm too much of a traditionalist & for some reason want a Kindle cover that resembles a book cover (I have no idea why) and the only one I can see from I-nique is in boring old black. Also, the I-nique stands do not look like they offer very good protection.

I feel I should also note there is no way I can afford the pricier options such as Oberon covers.

So guys, what's a girl to do? When my K3 ventures out of the house it will be to university, so it will be in quite a bulky bag & therefore really needs decent protection.
Erinath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:51 AM   #2
schulzmc
Zealot
schulzmc doesn't litterschulzmc doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
I think with a small bit of velcro on the back of your K3 the Amazon case would be very safe even in a 2 year old's hands.

I'm kind of a case geek - normally I have to try three or four until I find the perfect case for any gadget. I bought the Amazon case for my K2 and didn't like it (ended up with a beautiful leather slip case from AB Sutton). I went ahead and bought the Amazon case for my K3 (as a stop gap until other manufacturers' offerings hit the market) and like it so much that I may not look elsewhere!
schulzmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:09 AM   #3
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
I used a neoprene cover on my PRS-600 for a while and was quite happy with it.
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:40 AM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I still recommend the Tuff Luv Flip covers by Inique.

I pre ordered my purple one yesterday. With those covers the Kindle slips into the case and then the front flips over the screen and secures with a popper clasp. Its also designed to be a stand as well, which I use a lot

You can get them via Amazon as well, so you can return it if you don't like it, although Inique also have free postage and a 30 days return policy

This is mine http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tuff-Luv-Mul...3603813&sr=1-5

but it is actually this colour, the picture shows my Sony Touch in it, but I have bought the same cover for my Kindle. The other picture is the front of it closed, but the colour is more the upright picture, even though the popper shows on the front thats decoration, it secures round the back.

This is a link to all the Tuff Luv covers on Amazon, they have other styles as well. For their web site go to www.inique.com

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...ndle+3&x=0&y=0
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1030.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	586.0 KB
ID:	57607   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1032.JPG
Views:	234
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	57609  

Last edited by Josieb1; 09-04-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 08:57 AM   #5
grownupboy
Enthusiast
grownupboy has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: kindle
i'm a huge fan of the timbuk2 cases - and they just released a new version specifically sized for the k3:

http://www.amazon.com/Timbuk2-Kindle.../ref=pd_cp_e_1

g
grownupboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:05 AM   #6
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Well I have the black basic kindle cover and it is very nice. I too still believe it is too expensive but I have to have a way to protect my kindle when I finally get it.
So for now I guess I will have to just sat and look at my cover and hope to put my kindle in it soon
Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I personally never used the hinge system (though I did buy a gift Kindle with a hinge cover). I need to be able to fold the cover back and that puts a strain on the the hinges and the Kindle (there were issues with Kindle case cracking because of the hinges).

I prefer the corner straps which have held up very well on my K1 and K2 M-Edge covers (Executive and Platform). That said, I'm holding out to see what new covers come along for my K3. I'm not too thrilled with the selection available so far.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:42 AM   #8
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
actually the amazon case doesn't put any strain on the hinges when you fold the cover back, as the hinge is on the back cover not the spine of the cover, so when you fold back it does no harm, folds back really easy and the kindle stays firm where it is
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:45 AM   #9
Zyzomys
Hooked on Phonics
Zyzomys began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I just ordered the Timbuk2 case and should have it in a couple of weeks.
Zyzomys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:49 AM   #10
RonF
Zealot
RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RonF has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-300, K3 WiFi, K4 NT, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyd View Post
actually the amazon case doesn't put any strain on the hinges when you fold the cover back, as the hinge is on the back cover not the spine of the cover, so when you fold back it does no harm, folds back really easy and the kindle stays firm where it is
And with this I just purchased:
Kindle Lighted Leather Cover, Chocolate Brown

Which will be here before my Kindle Wifi
RonF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:54 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Confirmed.
My cover is always folded back with no strain on the hinges.

Some take issue with the older hinge system and the damage that can be done by opening it backwards, but I've never had any trouble with mine. The times I have opened it backwards, the Kindle just flopped over to where it needed to be with no dramatic catastrophe.

Don't believe the hinge-hater hype. Unless you lend your Kindle to a brain-damaged gorilla... it will be just fine.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:58 AM   #12
xmiyux
Enthusiast
xmiyux doesn't litterxmiyux doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by schulzmc View Post
I think with a small bit of velcro on the back of your K3 the Amazon case would be very safe even in a 2 year old's hands.

I'm kind of a case geek - normally I have to try three or four until I find the perfect case for any gadget. I bought the Amazon case for my K2 and didn't like it (ended up with a beautiful leather slip case from AB Sutton). I went ahead and bought the Amazon case for my K3 (as a stop gap until other manufacturers' offerings hit the market) and like it so much that I may not look elsewhere!
I used a little velcro on the back of my K3 to secure it to the lighted case from Amazon and it works perfectly. The thing is really anchored in there now. I can hold the back cover alone (without touching the Kindle itself and give it some little shakes in various directions and the Kindle doesn't shift at all. It works very well.

Quote:
I was concerned about the strain at first until I actually got the thing in hand. You are completely right, the prongs that lock into the Kindle are on the back cover so when you folk back the front to read there is no pressure on that area at all. No worries about cracking imo.
xmiyux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:02 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
That's good to know. It opens up my options. Thanks!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:14 PM   #14
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
I had to bend back the hinges on my kindle cover with light for the second time. It's a great cover, but keeping it away from kids is a requirement for happy ownership i think.
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:12 AM   #15
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
to be fair, Id keep any ereader away from young kids anyway, regardless of cover, they are too delicate if dropped or the screen pressed by little fingers
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote