Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 02-28-2010, 12:32 PM   #1
Writernan
Enthusiast
Writernan began at the beginning.

Device: Aztak 5"
Unhappy You're not going to believe this!

Readers of this forum may recall that I wrote a post about 10 days ago in which I indicated I was having problems with the buttons on my new PEz. After trying various suggestions of forum members, I finally ended up sending the reader back for repair/replacement.

Yesterday the "new" reader arrived and I immediately began charging it. After about 6 hours, it said it was charged so I installed the firmware upgrade.

That's when my troubles began.

First, I tried to set the clock. I was successful changing the time, the month, and the year, but when I tried to set the date (27), it kept going to '12' and wouldn't change. I finally gave up.

Then I downloaded a pdf ebook that had been on my previous reader. All went well until I tried to open it. The hourglass stopped at halfway and then just sat there. OK, I thought. Perhaps it needs more charging so I put it back on the charger (using the wall outlet).

After about another 4 hours, it said it was ready to go. I tried opening the ebook again. The same thing happened as before. Then, just for kicks, I downloaded another ebook. Same results.

Now this is where it gets really good ... while the unit was connected to my PC, out of curiousity, I clicked on the .Trashes file and found a folder named "501." When I opened it, there was a long list of 'deleted' epub files, non of which were mine! The User Manual was also listed, yet it wasn't shown on the regular menu page.

It would seem that I did NOT get a new unit. In fact, it makes me wonder if someone just picked up a reader that was laying close by, stuck it in a box, and mailed it back to me.

Aside to Robertb: I am very disappointed in what has transpired thus far and am looking forward to your suggestions for a remedy.
Writernan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:03 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Writernan View Post
Readers of this forum may recall that I wrote a post about 10 days ago in which I indicated I was having problems with the buttons on my new PEz. After trying various suggestions of forum members, I finally ended up sending the reader back for repair/replacement.

Yesterday the "new" reader arrived and I immediately began charging it. After about 6 hours, it said it was charged so I installed the firmware upgrade.

That's when my troubles began.

First, I tried to set the clock. I was successful changing the time, the month, and the year, but when I tried to set the date (27), it kept going to '12' and wouldn't change. I finally gave up.

Then I downloaded a pdf ebook that had been on my previous reader. All went well until I tried to open it. The hourglass stopped at halfway and then just sat there. OK, I thought. Perhaps it needs more charging so I put it back on the charger (using the wall outlet).

After about another 4 hours, it said it was ready to go. I tried opening the ebook again. The same thing happened as before. Then, just for kicks, I downloaded another ebook. Same results.

Now this is where it gets really good ... while the unit was connected to my PC, out of curiousity, I clicked on the .Trashes file and found a folder named "501." When I opened it, there was a long list of 'deleted' epub files, non of which were mine! The User Manual was also listed, yet it wasn't shown on the regular menu page.

It would seem that I did NOT get a new unit. In fact, it makes me wonder if someone just picked up a reader that was laying close by, stuck it in a box, and mailed it back to me.

Aside to Robertb: I am very disappointed in what has transpired thus far and am looking forward to your suggestions for a remedy.
The reason you can not set past 12 is there in no MONTH 27.
The format is DD/MM/YYYY
The Flash memory is an Image of the Factory model that was used.
(I would agree, it is careless of them, to not use a cleaned up copy)
So set the date 28/02/2010 and see if that works
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2010, 02:00 PM   #3
Writernan
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The reason you can not set past 12 is there in no MONTH 27.
The format is DD/MM/YYYY
OK, OK ... so I'm used to MM/DD/YYYY! What can I say? BTW, isn't the date supposed to stay set even after the unit is turned off? Mine doesn't.

You may be correct about the Flash memory and the factory ... I have no idea about that. But there are sure a lot of titles listed! And they are not 'free' ebooks, e.g., Outlander, The Lost Symbol, Amazonia. Also, why would the User's Manual be in the .Trashes folder and not in the main menu?

Beyond all this, the fact remains the unit isn't working since it won't open my files. I'm very disappointed.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
OK, OK ... so I'm used to MM/DD/YYYY! What can I say? BTW, isn't the date supposed to stay set even after the unit is turned off? Mine doesn't.
No. Read the FAQ Just lock the Keyboard. OFF is OFF, Just like the Original IBM PC/XT

Quote:
You may be correct about the Flash memory and the factory ... I have no idea about that. But there are sure a lot of titles listed! And they are not 'free' ebooks, e.g., Outlander, The Lost Symbol, Amazonia. Also, why would the User's Manual be in the .Trashes folder and not in the main menu?

Beyond all this, the fact remains the unit isn't working since it won't open my files. I'm very disappointed.
Go try an EPUB from Baen.com free library as a test.
"Your files are unknowns"
There are lots of poorly compliant files in circulation.
Also. The reader only supports ADE DRM, not others and you have to register the device for that to work.

If it fails with ones working for others, there is a problem.
Old 02-28-2010, 02:43 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Did they promise you a new replacement? Or just a replacement? It's pretty common to receive refurbished units when getting a replacement.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2010, 02:59 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Did they promise you a new replacement? Or just a replacement? It's pretty common to receive refurbished units when getting a replacement.
I would think a DOA (and first weeks or so) should warrant a New replacement. After that, it is a used unit and could be replaced with a unit of similar elapsed time.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:45 AM   #7
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
I'm waiting for a new PP as mine had problems after a few months... I hope I don't end up in your boat with you!
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 04:01 AM   #8
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
But a refurbished unit should have been formatted and reflashed before it went back out.

Waternan, get in touch with Astak and see what they say. We are all human and a small oversight could have been made.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:14 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solicitous View Post
But a refurbished unit should have been formatted and reflashed before it went back out.
Flashing does not wipe the User Area.

.trash is the Linux version of the Recycle bin
It needs to be emptied before detaching from a Linux PC
Formatting the drive would empty it
Old 03-01-2010, 12:32 PM   #10
Writernan
Enthusiast

Quote:
In a PM with Robertb, I was told I would be getting a NEW reader. The original reader was defective out of the box and was sent back within about 3 days.

I've noticed considerable emphasis has been put on giving the unit an adequate charging, so I tried charging it again last night. It took about 5 hours (again) to become fully charged. That's about 14 hours total with little use in between charges.

Anyway, I tried again to open the ebook and still nothing. This is a pdf file that opened without a hitch on my original reader so it would seem it's a 'good' file.

Looking forward to what Robertb has to say about all this.
Old 03-01-2010, 12:53 PM   #11
Writernan
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Go try an EPUB from Baen.com free library as a test.

Also. The reader only supports ADE DRM, not others and you have to register the device for that to work.

If it fails with ones working for others, there is a problem.
Just tried an epub file from the site you suggested. Still wouldn't open. (BTW, thanks for the resource. I'd love to read some of the books they list. )

Also, the unit is 'registered' with ADE.
Old 03-01-2010, 01:08 PM   #12
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
I always say "charge 8-12 hours" initially.

Quote:
In a PM with Robertb, I was told I would be getting a NEW reader. The original reader was defective out of the box and was sent back within about 3 days.

I've noticed considerable emphasis has been put on giving the unit an adequate charging, so I tried charging it again last night. It took about 5 hours (again) to become fully charged. That's about 14 hours total with little use in between charges.

Anyway, I tried again to open the ebook and still nothing. This is a pdf file that opened without a hitch on my original reader so it would seem it's a 'good' file.

Looking forward to what Robertb has to say about all this.
Dear Writernan:

You really should have charged 8-12 hours initially. This would have prevented your having to go 5 more hours the second time.

Often, units are returned that work perfectly but the battery is not great so all that is needed is a battery replacement. Almost always people want their replacements as fast as possible. So... to please everyone we replace first and fix the problem later. Instead of spending numerous hours trying to find the problem... we look at the problem AFTER we send the replacement. This is done to please the customer!

You MAY have gotten a unit that somebody else sent back due to the need for a new battery. These are better than new. They are 100% checked by a tech before we send them as replacements. They are, like yours that you sent back is, still new... with only a few weeks on it. One of these units is better than a new one as it is "proven fine" BY US. New units are checked only by the factory on an assembly line. Hand checking is much more accurate.

Have you downloaded Adobe Digital Editions? That may be why your pdf will not read. Call and let us walk you through it. 1-866-368-8788.

IF you give this a chance you are going to be happy. Just work with us please. Did you read the FAQ sheet?
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 01:36 PM   #13
Writernan
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
You really should have charged 8-12 hours initially. This would have prevented your having to go 5 more hours the second time.
The light turned green after 5 hours. What advantage would there have been to leave it charging for another 3-7 hours? The main reason I put it back on the charger was because of the recommendations I'd read on this forum, as well as to make sure this was not the source of my problems.

Quote:
They are 100% checked by a tech before we send them as replacements. They are, like yours that you sent back is, still new... with only a few weeks on it. One of these units is better than a new one as it is "proven fine" BY US. New units are checked only by the factory on an assembly line. Hand checking is much more accurate.
I appreciate what you're saying, but if this unit was "hand checked" why isn't it working?

Quote:
Have you downloaded Adobe Digital Editions? That may be why your pdf will not read.
Did you read what I wrote in my last post? Yes. I downloaded ADE and my device is registered. I used it to download ebooks on the original unit, as well as this one. The books opened without a hitch on the original, but won't on this 'new' unit.

Quote:
IF you give this a chance you are going to be happy. Just work with us please. Did you read the FAQ sheet?
I've read the FAQ sheet numerous times. I found nothing there that tells me how to get an ebook to open when the hourglass freezes.

Work with you how???? The unit isn't working. Unless you can give me explicit instructions on how to make it function as it should, I don't know what else I'm supposed to do.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but put yourself in my place.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:18 PM   #14
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
I am trying to be in your place!

Quote:
The light turned green after 5 hours. What advantage would there have been to leave it charging for another 3-7 hours? The main reason I put it back on the charger was because of the recommendations I'd read on this forum, as well as to make sure this was not the source of my problems.

I appreciate what you're saying, but if this unit was "hand checked" why isn't it working?

Did you read what I wrote in my last post? Yes. I downloaded ADE and my device is registered. I used it to download ebooks on the original unit, as well as this one. The books opened without a hitch on the original, but won't on this 'new' unit.

I've read the FAQ sheet numerous times. I found nothing there that tells me how to get an ebook to open when the hourglass freezes.

Work with you how???? The unit isn't working. Unless you can give me explicit instructions on how to make it function as it should, I don't know what else I'm supposed to do.

I'm sorry if I sound harsh, but put yourself in my place.
Writernan:

You do not sound harsh... you sound frustrated.

I am also. My job is Business Development and not tech support. I am sorry for the agravation; but our tech people believe they can get all sone for you. If you will email: support@astak.com or phone (tollfree) we can get this resolved.

During a hand testing of a Pocket PRO it includes the laoding of files onto the device to try it out. At the end of the testing they delete those files so the device works with your computer and not our computer. Having deleted files on it is a standard thing for hand-checked units.

Call of email us!! I can't solve this but they can and will. Please relax a bit and let us get this right.

I am on YOUR side in wanting to make you happy. I just need you to talk or write with tech support. I am unable to solve the problem through posts... but our techs are aware you are having a problem and want to help!!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #15
Writernan
Enthusiast

Robertb,

Yes! Very frustrated!

I realize you aren't "support," but from some of your posts, you seem to be pretty savvy about the operation of the unit so I had hoped you could help. Or at least offer insight on some of the issues.

In any case, I emailed the 'real' support around noon. No response as yet. I'm trying to be patient.

Will post results on the forum so other members will know how things turned out.

Last edited by Writernan; 03-01-2010 at 05:32 PM.