Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-09-2015, 01:40 PM   #1
HaydnH
HaydnH began at the beginning.

Device: Trekstor Pyrus Mini
Small (~5") ebook readers?

Hi All,

I've been using a Trekstor Pyrus Mini for a few years, I've gone through a few of them due to sitting on them or whatever! I've just broken my last one and they appear to have stopped making them and the Kobo Mini also seems to be discontinued. I now can't find any small ebook readers which are currently being produced!

Anybody know of any small ebook readers? I'm really not too bothered about specs as long as it supports epub & mobi and fits easily in a back pocket with a little room to spare.

Thanks,

Haydn.
HaydnH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 02:37 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The only thing I can think of that's still being made would be the Ectaco JetBook Lite and JetBook Mini. They both have a 5" TFT LCD screen (not eInk) and support both ePub and Mobi, along with some other formats. AFAIK there are no 5" eInk readers currently made.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2015, 04:05 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Small-screen eInk devices have essentially been superseded by mobile phones, just as large-screen ones have been by tablets, unfortunately.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:25 PM   #4
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I was going to suggest the PocketBook Mini, but that also seems to no longer be sold.

Some of the latest 6" devices have much smaller bezels than they used to, so perhaps they are small enough to fit into your pockets.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 04:46 PM   #5
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I bought a Kobo Mini on Ebay for a neighbor a few weeks ago. It was used but you'd never know that from looking at it and it was very cheap. I forget the exact price but I think it was $35 with free shipping. Maybe $40. I'm not sure now.

Anyway it was like new. The battery was just fine. It didn't come with the original box or original charger but there was a cable and a charger included and my neighbor is very happy.

Of course you never know with Ebay but I've been buying things from them for years and so far I've never had any problems. A few things weren't in as good condition as was stated but nothing was in poor condition and if the descriptions of those items had been more honest I probably would have bought them anyway.

I've only ever returned one item because it was defective and I got a full refund for that with no problems. I only buy from sellers who offer refunds.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-09-2015, 09:29 PM   #6
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The only thing I can think of that's still being made would be the Ectaco JetBook Lite and JetBook Mini. They both have a 5" TFT LCD screen (not eInk) and support both ePub and Mobi, along with some other formats. AFAIK there are no 5" eInk readers currently made.
I think they're both discontinued, although there are some still on the market. I have both and would advise you to avoid the JetBook Mini unless you really understand the limitations AND can get it very cheap. Most of the "new" ones I've seen out there are priced in the $80 to $110 range, and you will feel sorely ripped off at those prices!

On the other hand, if "cheap" is important you might look into small Android tablets. Newegg has several 4-inch models for under $40. I had one for more than a year before I damaged the touchscreen on a vacation. It ran several ereader Apps, had wifi, had a camera, etc. Not much built-in memory, but it could take a micro-SD card for storage. It was slightly smaller than my cell phone, so it easily fit in my pocket.
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 10:51 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by cromag View Post
I think they're both discontinued
Could be. I did a quick check of their site before posting but didn't do any other checking.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 08:30 AM   #8
dickloraine
Guru
dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dickloraine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 350, Kobo Aura
Isn't the trekstore just 4"? I had a sony prs 350 and now have a kobo aura. Despite being 6" the aura is only marginally bigger than the sony. There are better e-ink readers then the aura, but it is a very small device, has 6" and frontlight. The Trekstore has no frontlight and not a very good display.
Think about how big/small your reader should be and look for the physical dimensions, maybe you find some 6" that fits. Here for comparison the dimensions for the trekstore (4") the sony (5") the pocketbook mini (5") the aura (6") and the kindle pw (6") all in cm:
Trekstore: 8,5 x 0,9 x 12,8
Sony: 10,5 x 0,9 x 14,6
Pocketbook: 10 x 0,7 x 14,2
Aura: 11,4 x 0,8 x 15
Kindle: 11,7 x 0,9 x 16,9

The jump of the Trekstore is of course big, but that is only a 4" display. But the aura is very similiar to the two 5" readers.
dickloraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:14 AM   #9
HaydnH

Thanks for the info guys. I used to read books on a phone screen in the past, but I found that in conjunction to staring at a screen at my desk all day my eyes would ache if I stared at an LCD on the commute as well.

The CoverBook looks really interesting, it's a shame they only have it for the Galaxy 4S phone though: http://www.pocketbook-int.com/us/pro...ok-coverreader

I guess a slightly larger device is my only option and just hope I can get on with it. I'm surprised that every manufacturer seems to have discontinued them though, I would've thought there'd be a lot of commuters like myself that want something small to put in a pocket.

Haydn.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:30 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydnH View Post
Thanks for the info guys. I used to read books on a phone screen in the past, but I found that in conjunction to staring at a screen at my desk all day my eyes would ache if I stared at an LCD on the commute as well.
Then don't stare at the screen but blink once in a while

But seriously, I don't know what size your phone is, but if you get a larger LCD screen and change the default glaring brightness to a more mildly brightness (and don't forget to blink!), especially on a commute a good quality phone screen might work just as well.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:35 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
fits easily in a back pocket with a little room to spare.
Putting a Reader in a pocket like that is a really bad idea. It can become broken (screen shattered) and you'll then be without your Reader. Too many people have put too many Readers in a pocket and have ended up with a broken screen,. So if you are wanting a 5" Reader so you can fit it in your back pocket, buy one that's too big so cannot fit it in your back pocket so you won't end up with it being broken.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:54 AM   #12
HaydnH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Putting a Reader in a pocket like that is a really bad idea. It can become broken (screen shattered) and you'll then be without your Reader. Too many people have put too many Readers in a pocket and have ended up with a broken screen,. So if you are wanting a 5" Reader so you can fit it in your back pocket, buy one that's too big so cannot fit it in your back pocket so you won't end up with it being broken.
That's one of the reasons I loved the Pyrus mini, it was so cheap as long as you got 5 or so books out of one it was still cheaper than buying paperbacks.
Old 06-29-2015, 06:53 PM   #13
MJPeters83_02
Writing! and Reading!
MJPeters83_02 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Nice thread. Came in here to post this very question. I'm new to readers and want one....but want something I can keep in my pocket if need be.
MJPeters83_02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:04 PM   #14
vaichuong
vaichuong began at the beginning.

Device: bmw
Quote:
Hi All,

I've been using a Trekstor Pyrus Mini for a few years, I've gone through a few of them due to sitting on them or whatever! I've just broken my last one and they appear to have stopped making them and the Kobo Mini also seems to be discontinued. I now can't find any small ebook readers which are currently being produced!

Anybody know of any small ebook readers? I'm really not too bothered about specs as long as it supports epub & mobi and fits easily in a back pocket with a little room to spare.

Thanks,

Haydn.
WithEctaco jetBook LITE eBook: You will usually get about 20-22 hours on a single set of 4 AA battieres which is awesome if you're traveling or on the go and don't have time to charge your jetBook
vaichuong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 06:39 AM   #15
Quelch
Groupie
Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quelch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch and iPad 4 hers, Samsung Galaxy S 8.4 mine !
I'm considering a five inch smart-phone (phablet) for reading while commuting
Replacing my Nexus 7 and old phone
Less things to carry around and keep charged
I wear a vest when it's not too hot here in the sub-tropics
The Nexus 7 fits in the inside pocket and is in no danger of being sat on, but it's a bit heavy
A smart-phone is around 150gram while the Nexus is 400gram

The Cool-Reader app has a parchment type screen, looks like old faded yellowing paper
I find this much more restful for reading than stark black on white or white on black

I'll never go back to a basic e-ink reader, a tablet or smart-phone is so much more versatile

Quelch

Last edited by Quelch; 07-11-2015 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Grammar
Quelch is offline   Reply With Quote