Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you feel about DRM?
DRM doesn't bother me. As long as I can read a book on a computer I don't care. 18 6.41%
DRM is evil and should be done away with entirely. 200 71.17%
Quit whining about DRM, it's a dead horse. 13 4.63%
If DRM were a dead horse, DRM would be dead. 9 3.20%
DRM is a useful tool that prevents piracy. 4 1.42%
Some other option not thought of for this poll 37 13.17%
Voters: 281. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2012, 06:15 PM   #76
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
If it wasn't for a certain apprentice (Alf by name) who can tell you how to remove the locks entirely, I wouldn't be buying any ebooks from Amazon.
Buying DRM supports DRM. I do it as little as possible, even though I can remove the DRM if needed. I bought an Kindle ebook for my wife for $14.99 the other day, violating both my pricing rules and my no-DRM rules. I would have bought the hardcover for $18ish instead if it was for myself. But it was a present. Still, I felt guilty supporting DRM.

I do the same with PC games - I buy pretty much zero PC games now due to onerous DRM, or at the minimum, Steam DRM. But I love buying DRM free classic games from GOG.com.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #77
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
Buying DRM supports DRM.
People say they don't care about DRM because they can remove it easily, but that is not what business people look at when they are judging sales and how successful products are. They'll point to the million dollar sales, and go "Absolutely, we don't need to change a thing!"

And many people don't care about DRM, many people that I know have had to ask "What is DRM?". They just want to know how to work their e-Reader.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #78
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
The catch is that if you don't buy a book because it has drm, then the publisher will think that it sells badly because the story is crap... This can certainly happen to new books, or newer authors.

And GOG.com.... They are "zee zjit" as the Germans would say They prove that you can make loads of money selling stuff without drm, at low prices, even if it's very old. If I want to suddenly play an old game (I have a very rare affliction, called "Bouts of Nostalgia"), then I'll just buy it at Gog.com for $3 or $5. As their games are fully patched up, often adjusted to run under Windows7 and include lots of extras, I won't even start looking for pirated versions.

I actually bought some games I have on CD already, to easily get a good quality mp3 sound track... And have a fully patched, "no CD required"-version to boot.

No drm. No hassle. Good user experience. No restrictions. Nice extra's. Low prices.

That will cause you to sell for millions. Gog.com proves it.

Last edited by Katsunami; 02-09-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #79
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
The catch is that if you don't buy a book because it has drm, then the publisher will think that it sells badly because the story is crap... This can certainly happen to new books, or newer authors.

And GOG.com.... They are "zee zjit" as the Germans would say They prove that you can make loads of money selling stuff without drm, at low prices, even if it's very old. If I want to suddenly play an old game (I have a very rare affliction, called "Bouts of Nostalgia"), then I'll just buy it at Gog.com for $3 or $5. As their games are fully patched up, often adjusted to run under Windows7 and include lots of extras, I won't even start looking for pirated versions.

I actually bought some games I have on CD already, to easily get a good quality mp3 sound track... And have a fully patched, "no CD required"-version to boot.

No drm. No hassle. Good user experience. No restrictions. Nice extra's. Low prices.

That will cause you to sell for millions. Gog.com proves it.
It is a principled stand, and I admire it. But if there is stuff I want to read I will still get DRMed books. Paper really isn't an option where I live, and by now I just don't want to go back. But I would NOT get them if I couldn't remove the DRM.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:28 AM   #80
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
I also believe that if you purchase an ebook that is infected with DRM, you are actually paying for the DRM too! I mean cash out of your pocket for including DRM. Sure, it is easy enough to remove the infection but you still paid for it!
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #81
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyGuy View Post
I also believe that if you purchase an ebook that is infected with DRM, you are actually paying for the DRM too! I mean cash out of your pocket for including DRM. Sure, it is easy enough to remove the infection but you still paid for it!
With Kindle books you paid for Amaozn's R&D on the DRM system they use.

Adobe DRM costs the distributors $0.22 per ebook sold. (And that's neglecting the capital costs of buying Adobe Content Server software.)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #82
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
So in the end, a few parties make big bucks with drm, some other parties are losing the same bucks because drm does not work and adds nothing, while the end result is a bunch of very annoyed customers.

Well done, industries
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #83
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
So in the end, a few parties make big bucks with drm, some other parties are losing the same bucks because drm does not work and adds nothing, while the end result is a bunch of very annoyed customers.

Well done, industries
There is always a few parties that make big bucks. At least a bookstore has the choice to sell books without DRM. Imagine if the government would step in and make it illegal to sell books that do not have the new government-DRM on them, plus adding big fines for selling without DRM and adding a big DRM-tax on top of that. Better to keep the DRM in private hands - if they step over the line or creating a monopoly, there is laws that might be used against them ...
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #84
calibrated
Zealot
calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.calibrated can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3, Kindle Fire w/Aldiko
Here's a real-life example of why I think DRM is nuts:

Today, I bought a book from the B&N Nook store (because it wasn't available otherwise). I loaded it onto my Kindle Fire and fired up the Nook app, which I sideloaded months ago. The app refused to open the book, saying "try again later." I tried to open the file on my PC at work with the Nook for PC app, and it wouldn't open it either. It *did* open on my iMac at home, using the Nook for Mac app, but then the app froze.

So I did what any self-respecting e-book geek would do: I added it to my Calibre library, stripping out the DRM in the process, and stuck the de-DRM'd file in Dropbox. Then after downloading it from Dropbox, I opened it using Aldiko on the Fire. Worked like a charm...

So tell me: what, exactly, was achieved by the use of DRM here, except to annoy me, the paying customer? Not much. And I'm going to think twice before buying anything from the Nook store again, too. Way to go, Barnes & Noble...
calibrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #85
RoboRay
Zealot
RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.RoboRay has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: NookColor (CM7); OLPC XO (Ubuntu 8.10); HTC Thunderbolt (CM7)
Was the "DRM is a useful tool that prevents piracy" option intended to be hilarious, or did it just work out that way?

Last edited by RoboRay; 02-10-2012 at 09:04 PM.
RoboRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 10:31 PM   #86
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Absolutely intended to be hilarious, and i hope the one who selected it was responding in kind
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:32 AM   #87
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
Absolutely intended to be hilarious, and i hope the one who selected it was responding in kind
I think that there one or two people on MobileRead who really do think that DRM is a good idea. Sort of anti-Giggletons.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:55 AM   #88
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmon View Post
I think that DRM is a temporary nuisance, and will ultimately become irrelevant, just as it has in the music industry.
Do you think that's true even for library books. It's difficult to see how eBook library lending could operate without DRM; library books have to "expire" at the end of their loan period.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 04:56 AM   #89
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I think that there one or two people on MobileRead who really do think that DRM is a good idea. Sort of anti-Giggletons.
Yes, I do think it's a good idea - for library books. To repeat the question I've just asked Harmon, how could a library lend eBooks without DRM?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 05:01 AM   #90
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I voted for the second (majority) option, although I feel "evil" is the wrong word to use here. I don't think the people who came up with the idea were being necessarily malicious. They were looking for a way to protect the rights of authors, publishers, and sellers. Putting DRM into books is shortsighted and counter-productive—as it doesn't stop piracy, but rather angers and alienates legitimate purchasers—but it's not evil. It appears to be one of the biggest bonehead blunders the industry ever committed, and the decision to continue with the scheme may reveal a lack of sound judgment, but their heart may be in the right place. As has been said, the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 02-11-2012 at 05:15 AM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drm