Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-14-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
lmvale
lmvale began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo 1st Gen
Angry Frustrated with Kobo Customer Service Tier 2

I received a brand new 1st Generation Kobo eReader last July for a birthday present and used it almost daily until I needed to do the firmware upgrade. When I completed the firmware upgrade it bricked my Kobo (frozen in the "loading" stage and refusing to go any further). I did the reset, no luck. Spoke with Customer Service and was told that it was a known issue and an RMA was given, box was sent to me by courier and I returned the defective device and received a refurbished one shortly after. No hassles and I was very happy.

Then suddenly it's screen stopped behaving, and portions of the screen became frozen while the rest responded correctly. Was on vacation at the time and very frustrated that the Kobo ceased working at the beginning of it, but called Customer Service, spoke with a great rep who issued another RMA. Again, eReader exchanged and arrived within a couple weeks.

When the replacement one (again refurbished) arrived this time I attempted to plug it in to charge it discovered that the USB port pins were bent badly straight out of the box and it was impossible to plug it in to charge it or sync it. By this time I was very unhappy, as I had done everything right, and all of the issues were inherent with the units themselves. Immediately got on the phone with Kobo support again and explained situation. Explained I expected a new device (given the number of issues) rather than a refurbished unit this time. Issue was forwarded to tier two support, Russell, who responded that a "new device" was on its way. I note this because it was clear in the written notes that it was not to be a refurbished unit.

A couple weeks later I received yet another REFURBISHED unit, even though I had been promised a new device. Before even opening the factory sealed box I got on the phone to Kobo and explained my frustration. I'd like to note that I worked in customer service for years, even working at the irate call desk for awhile, so I was polite, calm and patient on the phone with the agents each time. I asked to speak with a supervisor and was told that there are no supervisor to speak directly with on the phone (a point I know is not true...you'll see further on why). The agent told me that yes, it was clear on the file I was to be receiving a new unit and as a result that I should NOT open the refurbished unit I received. i was told my previous ticket number was reopened (Russel closed it before) and that I would be contacted by the accounts department, supposedly a step above tier 2. Unfortunately it was sent back to the same tier 2agent, Russell, who then continues to respond to each and every comment that they never sent new items, only refurbished and that I must have been mistaken/must have misunderstood him.

I responded back via email that I expected the new unit he had personally written I would receive, and explained that I have received multiple defective refurbished units. Then he simply left the file open but refused to respond to me, for just under 2 weeks.

I called Kobo support again and when the agent put me on hold to speak with his supervisor, I asked instead to speak with the supervisor. An incredibly professional woman named Sarah R answered and reviewed all the notes on the file. She too agreed that I should be receiving a new, not refurbished unit. She removed Russell as the assigned agent on the file and included herself as a CC on the email being sent to the tier 2 support. She promised that she would stick with the file and we would get this sorted out.

Today I receive a response from Russell again (even though he was supposedly removed as assigned agent):

"We apologize for the confusion, however all of the replacement ereaders we send out are refurbished units. They have all been checked and should work without any problems, please see our warranty where we state we will replace faulty units with refurbished units: http://www.kobobooks.com/wifi_support"

The fact is that the refurbished units DO NOT WORK WITHOUT ANY PROBLEMS, as is clear based on my experience. And if you review the warranty it states:

"...if a defect arises that is covered by the Limited Warranty, Kobo will, subject to the terms and conditions of this Limited Warranty, at its option either i) replace your eReader with a new or refurbished model of equal or greater value..."

So the fact is that they can, and in my opinion should (especially since it was initially promised) replace the unit with a new unit. Not once have they even so much as offered a free book for all the trouble, or for the fact that I have essentially been without a working eReader for months on end now.

Now that you've read my long diatribe, does anyone have any information as to how to go to "the next level" of support, have any contact information for any of the corporate bosses or any suggestions on how to get this issue properly resolved?
lmvale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
You could try posting that here:

http://getsatisfaction.com/kobo

I've seen Kobo reps get involved. Perhaps you'll have success. Provide your ticket number(s).
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2011, 01:55 PM   #3
lmvale

Oops, yes. My ticket number is #330934.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:19 PM   #4
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmvale View Post
Oops, yes. My ticket number is #330934.

Hey hang in there. Let us know how things work out for you . Im going with the it will work out for you .

Regards

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:29 PM   #5
lmvale

Thanks. I also posted this on the getsatisfaction.com site as was suggested. A Kobo employee said they'd look into it. Here's hoping someone realizes how ridiculous this all this.
Advert
Old 07-14-2011, 08:50 PM   #6
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Thanks. I also posted this on the getsatisfaction.com site as was suggested. A Kobo employee said they'd look into it. Here's hoping someone realizes how ridiculous this all this.
I saw that Darrel was the employee who was looking into it for you .

good luck

Last edited by jackastor; 07-15-2011 at 04:19 PM.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:35 PM   #7
lmvale

Received a response from Kobo this morning and just received a brand new black Kobo sent yesterday by courier. Unfortunately doesn't have the 1.8 firmware upgrade that started this whole thing yet, but I'm going through it and hopefully it will work. Thank you, Darrell, if you had something to do with this.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:43 PM   #8
mdclements
Kobo Developer
mdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single bookmdclements has the entire Project Gutenberg collection on their reader and has corrected every single error in every single book

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Received a response from Kobo this morning and just received a brand new black Kobo sent yesterday by courier. Unfortunately doesn't have the 1.8 firmware upgrade that started this whole thing yet, but I'm going through it and hopefully it will work. Thank you, Darrell, if you had something to do with this.
What version did it have on it if it wasn't 1.8?
mdclements is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:03 PM   #9
wes101
Zealot
wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'wes101 understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdclements View Post
What version did it have on it if it wasn't 1.8?
either 1.0,or 1.4
wes101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #10
lmvale

I think 1.0, but I could be wrong.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:49 AM   #11
adrianlavrig
adrianlavrig began at the beginning.

Device: kobo wi-fi
I have similar issues in Canada: On June 30th I return mine with an RMA . I called 4 times the support and they escalated twice to level 2 support and still have to get an update about my Kobo. Lucky someone posted the phone number on internet, because via e-mail there were no replies back .......( request #327283)
adrianlavrig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
customer service, refurbish, tier 2