Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-07-2012, 12:46 PM   #16
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Pidgeon, that's quite a list! Out of the top of our head, are any of these Dystopian or SciFi/Fantasy? And are these in addition to the ebooks you borrowed from your local library (so do you have access to two libraries' ezones)?
I suppose you could call the Margaret Atwood dystopian. I don't read a lot of SciFi/Fantasy, and there aren't any on this list.

I also borrow ebooks from the Chicago Public Library. 40 from there so far this year. Some of the books I borrow are for my husband. He's too lazy to get his own card.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #17
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianNC View Post
Thanks. I was actually able to figure it out by checking the number of titles at each of my local libraries and knowing the approximate population statistic. Of course, I'd be more interested in the ratio between the number of titles/patrons (since not all the residents of any one city are likely to be library-card holders).

Got a good, general idea for my area, though.
That's basically what I did. Compare number of titles with population and potential library borrowers. As ereading develops more people will be drawn to Overdrive.

My suggestion was to check several library's wait lists and availability of titles you may be interested in before plunking down the cash. Paying $35 to join a waitlist of 147 for a book may not be reasonable but $40 for fewer or no waits may work better. Are titles added regularly? How many each month? Genres you enjoy?

In any case, make sure they will give you Overdrive access with a non-resident card. I've heard rumors that some may not.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 01:10 AM   #18
Katel
Evangelist
Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Also I gather not all the Overdrive ebooks are available to non-residents, but I don't think you know this until you go to borrow one. Anyway, there's plenty of food for thought here and thanks again for all your input.
Katel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #19
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katel View Post
Also I gather not all the Overdrive ebooks are available to non-residents, but I don't think you know this until you go to borrow one. Anyway, there's plenty of food for thought here and thanks again for all your input.
I don't think they restrict which books you can check out from Overdrive, but some libraries that issue cards to nonresidents don't allow access to Overdrive at all for nonresident cards (i.e. nonresident cards are more restrictive in many ways such as the number and types of items you're allowed to check out).
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #20
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Libraries offering memberships to nonresidents (out-of-state) without access to Overdrive (their digital media section) seems a little silly to me. Maybe I'm missing something.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #21
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Libraries offering memberships to nonresidents (out-of-state) without access to Overdrive (their digital media section) seems a little silly to me. Maybe I'm missing something.
It's a restriction that some publishers pass on to Overdrive. Officially, one is not permitted to purchase a non-resident card for Overdrive access. This is baked into their contracts. Most libraries adhere to it but a few do not.

I confirmed this by calling a few large metro libraries that ended their online non-resident privileges i.e. Seattle and Manhattan. The digital librarians were apologetic but both stated it was due to Overdrive.

The publishers and Overdrive would prefer each library system have their own account for local residents.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #22
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, Fbone. I decided to go with Brooklyn since they have quite a few titles I'm interested in and can't get locally. Their system permits the whole sign-up process to be done online. Once I submitted my application, they emailed me that my account would become active 3 days after receipt of my State I.D. and payment of the 'fine'.

After I submitted that info, my account was activated in about 10 minutes It appears that I have full privileges, but of course I'll only be accessing their digital media catalog.

Appreciate all the info you've provided us in this thread.
Old 10-10-2012, 12:21 PM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
My thoughts too. It only makes sense if you're a non-resident and actually living within that library's jurisdiction temporarily.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:27 PM   #24
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
e-book lending as a drain on libraries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
My thoughts too. It only makes sense if you're a non-resident and actually living within that library's jurisdiction temporarily.
We already know that publishers charge libraries a premium for e-books, and some (HarperCollins) put a hard limit on the number of loans, and I'm fairly sure an Overdrive contract isn't free. (We know "Freegal", offered by FLP, is in fact not free.)

However you slice it, the economics of e-book lending are a brave new world. Libraries are already familiar with per-use licensing for electronic resources, but not at the scale of demand that e-books are. I can perfectly understand a given library not wanting to sink their finite resources into becoming the go-to for anybody on the Internet. Among other problems, it just makes the wait times longer for local patrons.

There's no win-win for a single (or small number of) library and its local patrons in keeping up with nationwide demand for e-book loans.

Last edited by oj829; 10-10-2012 at 01:29 PM. Reason: left out a noun.
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #25
danicca
Addict
danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.danicca ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Does any other library except library of philadelphia allow signup from overseas (I'm in Europe)?
danicca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #26
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
I e-mailed Brooklyn, and got a prompt response. Ironically, the thing that I am worried about is that Swedish IDs doesn't list the address... But I'll give it a try. Or maybe I'll sign up for Free Library again...
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #27
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by danicca View Post
Does any other library except library of philadelphia allow signup from overseas (I'm in Europe)?
Check the list I posted in this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=141516&page=2
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:11 PM   #28
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?

Quote:
Thanks, Fbone. I decided to go with Brooklyn since they have quite a few titles I'm interested in and can't get locally. Their system permits the whole sign-up process to be done online. Once I submitted my application, they emailed me that my account would become active 3 days after receipt of my State I.D. and payment of the 'fine'.

After I submitted that info, my account was activated in about 10 minutes It appears that I have full privileges, but of course I'll only be accessing their digital media catalog.

Appreciate all the info you've provided us in this thread.
You're welcome. I'm glad things worked out for you.

Have you tried accessing the NYPL's Overdrive collection with your Brooklyn card? It would be interesting to know if it worked. According to their website you have privileges at both.

Quote:
As a courtesy to other New York City library users, Brooklyn Public Library and Queens Public Library cardholders may use their existing cards once it is linked to NYPL.
http://ebooks.nypl.org/6B618800-5436...en/Default.htm
Old 10-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #29
DianNC
Banned

I tried logging in using your link, but it came up as 'invalid'. That privilege might be restricted to residents only.

I might call them tomorrow during business hours just out of curiosity, though

Thanks, again.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #30
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Their system permits the whole sign-up process to be done online. Once I submitted my application, they emailed me that my account would become active 3 days after receipt of my State I.D. and payment of the 'fine'.
This certainly is news. I think you may have started something that will either get big, or be stopped (not that they would cancel your privilege before the year is up).

In, I think it was May, I signed up in person at the Brooklyn Public Library Gerritsen Beach Branch. The librarian told me that it had been 20 years since the last time she signed up an out of state borrower, and she knew it was 20 years because it was in her first year working there. Could you be the first out of state person to ever ask if they could mail in the identification? Or did you fax it, or email them a graphic file?

As far as getting the New York Public Library to link a Brooklyn card purchased by an out of state borrower, I don't think they will allow that, even in person. But, then, I thought that you really had to go in person to get any privileges.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote