Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-03-2008, 05:59 PM   #16
Kingston
Addict
Kingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-booksKingston has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle, Iliad v2 & v1,Gen 3 from NAEB, Sony PRS-505, Jetbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post

Thanks to both Kingston and Stacy for pointing it out to us!
Thanks for referring to my thread. The author of that page has posted in the thread I started.

Now that I've had my Kindle a while, I'm itchy to buy a different device, not because I'm dissatisfied, but just out of curiosity.

I'd love to buy and try out the 505 but I'm on a Mac.

3 out or 4 of the 'Big Four' devices are compatible with Mobi files. If I have a non-DRM book I can transfer it to the Kindle, Gen3 or Iliad, but not the Sony which uses LRF, unless I convert it.

That seems to sort of doom the Sony to a niche position. I know it's a great unit, but a non-techy user will lack the skills to transfer his documents into Sony-friendly format.

I agree, this stuff has been hashed and rehashed ad nauseum over here for months.
Kingston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 06:49 PM   #17
spirits
Connoisseur
spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
(Of course, given Kindle's looks, and the missus' comments, maybe keeping it out of stores was the idea all along... )
waiting to see it come down in price!

That's what I hear a lot of people say as well, which made me hesitant about getting the kindle a month ago. To my surprise, it feels and looks pretty good in real life. Have a look at it if you ever get a chance. Kindle looks nice.
spirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-03-2008, 06:51 PM   #18
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingston View Post
That seems to sort of doom the Sony to a niche position. I know it's a great unit, but a non-techy user will lack the skills to transfer his documents into Sony-friendly format.
The Sony is real friendly-like with RTF files -- it reads them natively: no conversion needed.

Yeah, it's been talked to death but there're always new folks who benefit from revisiting it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 07:20 PM   #19
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
I'm really hoping the SoriBook is pretty much a Sony with an extra "draw on me" feature. I like my Sony. I want to draw, but not so much that I'll buy an iLiad instead.
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 04:09 AM   #20
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I am envious of the Kindle "whispernet", and the access to wikipedia, and the dictionary (one of the things I love about my EB 1150), and the Amazon price point, but I am content with the PRS-505.

I think it will not take to long for all these features to be common amongst all the e-ink devices.

This is in the baby stages. But I am excited about what we have now: Choices!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2008, 12:16 PM   #21
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
I like the article, the "competition" is obviously friendly and they're having fun with it. I think it highlights my own contention that it's not so much that one reader is better than another, it's that each person has one reader that's right for them. (And some people are still waiting for their dream device, of course.) I think the Kindle and Sony Reader are great devices (and I was fortunate enough to be able to play with a co-worker's Kindle so I wouldn't have been buying it sight-unseen), but the Cybook was the right choice for me at this moment in time.
MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:52 PM   #22
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I totally agree. Very few things in life are "best" or even "better," only best available for a given person or purpose. It's an important thing to remember, not only does it keep the blood pressure down, it leads to a generally more content outlook on things.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:03 PM   #23
esperanc
esperanc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
What if you're not in the U.S.?

Much of this discussion is centered on the wireless capabilities of the Kindle and the prices of ebooks at Amazon and Sony stores. These are not relevant issues for somebody here in Brazil. We can't buy ebooks in either store (they require a U.S.-issued credit card - mostly, I read free ebooks which I convert from .lit or .html. ). The wireless capabilities are useless here. So, these issues aside, which one should I trade my PRS500 for?
esperanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:40 PM   #24
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Outside the US I think the choice is Sony 505 or the iLiad. The Sony is cheaper.

Why do you want to trade your 500? Is it not working well any more or do you just want a new toy?
Old 03-05-2008, 08:17 PM   #25
esperanc
esperanc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
Outside the US I think the choice is Sony 505 or the iLiad. The Sony is cheaper.

Why do you want to trade your 500? Is it not working well any more or do you just want a new toy?
Mostly because of the new screen. After 1 and a half year, the contrast in my PRS500 is not what it once was, and I understand that the VizPlex technology improves things a bit. I am perfectly happy with my PRS500 otherwise. In fact, I probably will wait until the end of 2008 to see if a new model (PRS510?) is coming.
esperanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:12 PM   #26
moz
Addict

Hmm, I hope the display on my 505 lasts longer than that. I'm hoping to amortise the cost of the thing over quite a few years, not 18 months. Not having seen a 500, I am happy with the 505 - it's not as good as paper but it's certainly readable enough for me.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:45 PM   #27
NatCh
Gizmologist

I've had mine for going on 18 months and I think the contrast has dropped some, but not enough to be getting excited about.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:17 AM   #28
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
Outside the US I think the choice is Sony 505 or the iLiad.
Really? Why not the CyBook?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 03:20 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by esperanc View Post
Much of this discussion is centered on the wireless capabilities of the Kindle and the prices of ebooks at Amazon and Sony stores. These are not relevant issues for somebody here in Brazil. We can't buy ebooks in either store (they require a U.S.-issued credit card - mostly, I read free ebooks which I convert from .lit or .html. ). The wireless capabilities are useless here. So, these issues aside, which one should I trade my PRS500 for?
I'd suggest a device which can read the MobiPocket format. There are dozens of different MobiPocket bookstores, all of which sell books world-wide.

You can read MobiPocket books on dozens of different devices. In the area of eInk readers, there's the iLiad and the CyBook.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:57 PM   #30
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
For Outside the US, Have to go With Either the Sony PRS-505 or the Cybook.
Sorry, But the Price of the Illiad is Ridicules in Europe, Especially the UK after factoring in all the costs (VAT, Shipping, Etc).

Just went thru a similar decision, when I passed on My PRS 500 On to my Mom (Actually originally got it with that in mind) and missed it so much that had to get a replacement. After E-Ink cant go back to reading ebooks full time on my PDA.

So decided to order a Cybook last week, and ordered it through NAEB, as the UK price for the Basic Package from Bookeen was more expensive then the NAEB package even after factoring in shiping and Customs duty. <shakes Head>

So Fingers crossed, I'll ave it in my hot little hands somtime next month.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote