Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-20-2011, 01:08 PM   #76
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena View Post
Right, because Amazon is making this decision out of the goodness of their hearts...

Want to know why the epub readers can't also read mobi books??? Ask Amazon.
No corporation ever does anything out of the goodness of their hearts, certainly not Sony, Apple or Amazon.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:08 PM   #77
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But it will make the lines at the eBook counter a heck of a lot longer.
Because more people are able to use the service, surely that is a good thing?
The same would happen if ADE-based eInk readers were to become suddenly much more successful and displace Amazon, I don't think you would view that as a bad thing!
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:11 PM   #78
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But it will make the lines at the eBook counter a heck of a lot longer. And my question is, will there be a Kindle app for iOS devices after June?

It seems that Amazon (my guess) will be the ones supplying the eBooks so when an eBook is borrowed from the library as a Kindle eBook, Amazon will be lending it, not Overdrive.
Wouldn't that require Amazon to negotiate a new contract with every single publisher they deal with? I doubt very much that the current terms allow for Amazon to lend out ebooks against publisher's wishes.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:16 PM   #79
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Wouldn't that require Amazon to negotiate a new contract with every single publisher they deal with? I doubt very much that the current terms allow for Amazon to lend out ebooks against publisher's wishes.
It has been said that there will be no cost to the library and it will work with existing books. So I don't see how it can work unless Amazon does the lending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Because more people are able to use the service, surely that is a good thing?
The same would happen if ADE-based eInk readers were to become suddenly much more successful and displace Amazon, I don't think you would view that as a bad thing!
I don't see ADE based eink readers displacing Amazon as a bad thing. But maybe the increased wait at the library may not be so good.

We'll just have to wait and see how this pans out.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:17 PM   #80
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Please delete this post
Old 04-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #81
Serena
Zealot
Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
No corporation ever does anything out of the goodness of their hearts, certainly not Sony, Apple or Amazon.
Totally agree. Is it just me, or does it seem that it's only the consumers that get screwed.

I'm ticked because I thought I made an intelligent decision to buy an epub reader, and now I have a corporation changing the rules so that it may not have been the best decision after all.
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:20 PM   #82
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Totally agree. Is it just me, or does it seem that it's only the consumers that get screwed.

I'm ticked because I thought I made an intelligent decision to buy an epub reader, and now I have a corporation changing the rules so that it may not have been the best decision after all.
Well your device will still do everything is does now just as well as it does now, so you really haven't been screwed, surely?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:22 PM   #83
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

Given that all the devices listed handle ePub, do you really want one that won't play well with any of them?
Old 04-20-2011, 01:23 PM   #84
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I guess it is not going to hurt the libraries budget.
It will in terms of more patrons using the system. Wait times will increase, prompting libraries to consider additional purchases; but then, that's an age old problem of strained public services vs tax funding.

The good thing is that libraries won't have to split funds over different formats. That move would've been disastrous.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:25 PM   #85
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
That is because you use a Sony. As a Kindle user, I could careless about the numbers. I care that I can read the books that I want, when I want, and how I want. This just became easier for me because of the added library access.

I get why non-Kindle users are not thrilled.

Some bought the ereaders they have because they wanted to use the library and that was not an easy option on a Kindle. That camp is annoyed because they may have wanted a Kindle and could not buy one to use at the library. They are annoyed that it took Amazon so long to get into the library game.

Then there is the format wars camp. The folks who would love to see Amazon crash and burn because it does not use EPub and hence is evil. Little can be said to dissuade this crowd so it really is not worth the time discussing it. Admitidly, this is a small percentage but they are out there.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:31 PM   #86
Serena
Zealot
Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Serena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Well your device will still do everything is does now just as well as it does now, so you really haven't been screwed, surely?
Hmm, well let's see. I didn't buy a Kindle originally because they couldn't check out library books. There were some ereaders available that could check out mobipocket books, but my local library didn't have very many books to choose from. So I waited to buy my reader until I was fairly certain of which format the library was going to support, and which reader I could most easily use to check out those books.

Now the game changes. I wouldn't be so upset if Amazon hadn't been the originator of making sure that epub readers couldn't read mobi books. Like I said in a previous post, if that hadn't happened, all the current readers would use mobi format. And we wouldn't be re-buying all the library books in, yet again, another format.
Serena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:32 PM   #87
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buran View Post
I'm surprised people are arguing against library books for Kindle. This is a repeatedly requested feature, and people are constantly assuming it'll work for kindle and then being surprised when it doesn't.
The only people arguing against it are those folks who insist that anything that is Amazon must be negative. Of course, one could wonder why they insist on posting their drivel in the Amazon Kindle forum, but I won't speculate on what motivates trolls.

From the announcement, I look forward to using this feature at some point. It looks like initially it may not make it to my Canadian library, but I can hope that will change. Meanwhile, I already read eBooks from the Library, and will continue to do so. On my Kindle. I just don't get the advantages of using Whispersync, and last location read across my multiple devices.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:38 PM   #88
stickybuns
Evangelist
stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stickybuns ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Bad news for Nook sales.
Oh, I wouldn't go so far as to say that. There are a lot of people who feel that having a touch screen and/or color is a major deal breaker.
stickybuns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:46 PM   #89
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
That is because you use a Sony. As a Kindle user, I could careless about the numbers. I care that I can read the books that I want, when I want, and how I want. This just became easier for me because of the added library access.
I use a Kindle 3 as my primary ereader. I just bought a Sony 350 on clearance to use for library books and for guests on extended visits. I'm quite happy that library lending is coming to the Kindle.

With this new influx of people borrowing books, I do care about the numbers. It can only mean longer wait times at current budget levels.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #90
bhartman36
Wizard
bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bhartman36 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi, Craig CMP738a Android Tablet
Quote:
Now the game changes. I wouldn't be so upset if Amazon hadn't been the originator of making sure that epub readers couldn't read mobi books. Like I said in a previous post, if that hadn't happened, all the current readers would use mobi format. And we wouldn't be re-buying all the library books in, yet again, another format.
From what I've read, libraries won't have to rebuy the books. Your ePub reader can still read all the books it did before Amazon's announcement -- including ePub library books. Whatever format wins the war, it won't be immediate. And even when it happens, there will still be ways to convert between formats (albeit ways that people feel different levels of comfort with).

I don't think anyone has much to be worried about just yet.
bhartman36 is offline   Reply With Quote