Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-15-2012, 09:22 AM   #121
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a lot of..
In my first post I put the link to the new RC version of 1.7 (from today)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23593310/update-20120215.zip

I still didn't get the release notes but I've already discovered some new very interesting functions:
  • Text annotations (marked text with your comments) can be exported with your comments in a new text file (same name as original but with .txt extension. All new annotations made in the book will be stored there. But, be carefull! A new export overwrites the existing annotation file!
  • New Two Point Zoom mode.
  • A lot of new Languages and Keyboard Layouts
  • Particular scribbles can be deleted now individually
  • In the Websites Google was added as a Start website
  • In the dictionaries the Chinese dictionary was removed and the English Explanatory is installed instead
  • Stylus calibration is perfect now

Don't hesitate - try it out!

Last edited by Booxtor; 02-15-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Booxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:39 AM   #122
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
What about https? In older version I cannot connect my reader to what internet I have (home network or ad-hoc Wifi tethering from phone).
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2012, 10:01 AM   #123
Booxtor
Booxtor
Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Booxtor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
What about https? In older version I cannot connect my reader to what internet I have (home network or ad-hoc Wifi tethering from phone).
https: Yes. Just tested it with my GMAIL account
Tethering - will test it now
Old 02-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #124
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booxtor View Post
In my first post I put the link to the new RC version of 1.7 (from today)
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/23593310/update-20120215.zip

I still didn't get the release notes but I've already discovered some new very interesting functions:
  • Text annotations (marked text with your comments) can be exported with your comments in a new text file (same name as original but with .txt extension. All new annotations made in the book will be stored there
I am going to need this as soon as I receive the device: what is the procedure for upgrading the software. I might have missed that is someone already posted that here.

Does the highlighted text get copied too or just what the user types manually?
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:16 AM   #125
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
I am going to need this as soon as I receive the device: what is the procedure for upgrading the software. I might have missed that is someone already posted that here.

Does the highlighted text get copied too or just what the user types manually?
Firmware Updating:
Copy the file to a sd card and put it into your device
switch off the reader
hold the ok /joystick button pressed and switch on the device.
Wait approx. 10 minutes till the device restarts
after restarting black screen appears. Just switch on the device again.

Annotations: The highligted text AND your comment will be copied in the annotation file.
Advert
Old 02-15-2012, 10:22 AM   #126
CJY
Zealot
CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
I[*] In the dictionaries the Chinese dictionary was removed and the English Explanatory is installed instead

Well, how timely was that? That solved my issue.

I notice that the web browser now has a bigger top tool bar (might even be a little too big), with a new symbol, a star. I assume this is some sort of bookmarks function (it only seems to toggle on and off without any effect I can discern).

PF4Mobile, the update procedure is on page 4 of this thread, somewhere just under midway.
(Maybe Booxtor could be persuaded to insert them into his first post on this thread?)

Cheers!
CJ

Last edited by CJY; 02-15-2012 at 11:27 AM.
CJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 10:36 AM   #127
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
Firmware Updating:
Copy the file to a sd card and put it into your device
switch off the reader
hold the ok /joystick button pressed and switch on the device.
Wait approx. 10 minutes till the device restarts
after restarting black screen appears. Just switch on the device again.

Annotations: The highligted text AND your comment will be copied in the annotation file.
YESSS!!!!
AFAIK this was not happening at all before. The only option to mark text and to export what you marked was to scribble (use the pen to underline the text) and export that in with the PDF
Now that is changed to Highlight and Export with the PDF and also export as .txt file. The highilighted text is also seen in the PDF file if you open the file on PC.
All the above while the scribbling on the document is still there as shown by jbaach right?

If I got all the above correct this is a big improvement!
Old 02-15-2012, 11:22 AM   #128
Booxtor
Booxtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
YESSS!!!!
AFAIK this was not happening at all before. The only option to mark text and to export what you marked was to scribble (use the pen to underline the text) and export that in with the PDF
Now that is changed to Highlight and Export with the PDF and also export as .txt file. The highilighted text is also seen in the PDF file if you open the file on PC.
All the above while the scribbling on the document is still there as shown by jbaach right?

If I got all the above correct this is a big improvement!
Yes. It all works like you described Scribbling works too.
As soon as you finished your annotations in a book - your highlighted text, your comments and page numbers can be exported in a text file with the same name like original document plus .txt and will be stored in the directory called "reading notes" (internal memory). You can then simply copy the annotation file to pc and work with it.

Last edited by Booxtor; 02-15-2012 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-15-2012, 01:05 PM   #129
MatthiasR.
M92 user
MatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Onyx M92
Hi,

just updated my M92 and I am very pleased:
  • Browser supports HTTPs as already mentioned
  • Scribble works perfect (sic!)
  • In PDFs "clickable" links (e.g. table of contents) are now boxed, (just like it is done normally) so you know where a link is ;-)
  • There is a new game: GO; didn't check it out
  • DjVu files allow sketching (without export) [I am not sure whether this was possible before the patch?!]
  • They added (under settings) a manual; However, its the manual of the i62

Considering the update process: It works just as described by booxtor.
If you wonder: You do not have to "empty" (i.e. format) the SD card to update. It worked just fine even though I have a lot of files in the root folder and many more in folders...

Again: Thanks to Booxtor for always being in contact with Onyx and allowing such nice "previews" to happen

P.s.: Yeah, exporting annotation works (to txt file); However, I will probably not going to use it anyhow, since the stylus is now just perfectly (really!) calibrated

P.p.s.: Plugging the M92 itself into the usb port of my pc I can now simultaneously access both the internal and the SD card [both are displayed as drives under win7]. I am not sure, whether this was possible before, as I got my SD card only last week

Last edited by MatthiasR.; 02-15-2012 at 01:10 PM.
MatthiasR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #130
MatthiasR.
M92 user
MatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of light

Nasty Bug

In my last reply I mention the hyperlinks to be marked by boxes. That's very nice, but:
Unfortunately the links do not work at all! I tried switching the zoom levels, the page layout (scroll pages is now per default enabled, personally I dont like that) and sketching and then going back to the "hand tool".
Nothing works. I think have to migrate back to the original firmware, since I use pdf links very frequently
Old 02-15-2012, 02:52 PM   #131
iampiti
Connoisseur
iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!iampiti will blow your mind, man!

@Booxstor Is it really necessary to copy the firmware in a SD card?
It'd be nice if you could copy it to internal memory. I guess I'll have to buy a card
iampiti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:54 PM   #132
MatthiasR.
M92 user

PDF Rendering

One more thing:
It seemed they changed the pdf rendering (or the corresponding driver).
In some of my textboox there are boxes for definitions with a grey background, now before the update the boxes were darker but consisted of an equal amount of darker and lighter pixels which were used to create the image of the grey wanted.
Now after the update the background of those boxes is uniform and much lighter, in fact they are so light that it is actually quite difficult to notice the difference.

Long story short: It seems that they work on the pdf rendering (or they just updated to a new pdf reader version..)
Old 02-15-2012, 03:15 PM   #133
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthiasR. View Post
One more thing:
It seemed they changed the pdf rendering (or the corresponding driver).
In some of my textboox there are boxes for definitions with a grey background, now before the update the boxes were darker but consisted of an equal amount of darker and lighter pixels which were used to create the image of the grey wanted.
Now after the update the background of those boxes is uniform and much lighter, in fact they are so light that it is actually quite difficult to notice the difference.

Long story short: It seems that they work on the pdf rendering (or they just updated to a new pdf reader version..)
I guess the rendering functions belong the library they use. A look at the git repository might tell us a little about that (to those who know where to look). If the libraries were updated by their authors then that might reflect as you described.
The new export feature is clearly Onyx's
Old 02-15-2012, 04:29 PM   #134
catharsis
Addict
catharsis began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR800SG, Onyx Boox M92
I can also confirm I'm glad https works, so now I can connect to my home network, but connecting to ad-hoc network (tethering from my Nokia with Joiku Spot) does not work.

Typing in forms in web browser very slow (and for website addresses it's quite slow) and I would like some loading page progress, sometimes there is no feedback.

Also, the pdf I mention before that it does not work. Here is the link again http://cs.joensuu.fi/paikka/andrei/istoria.pdf , Booxtor, could you check it ?
catharsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:55 PM   #135
CJY
Zealot
CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!CJY , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by catharsis View Post
Typing in forms in web browser very slow (and for website addresses it's quite slow) and I would like some loading page progress, sometimes there is no feedback.
I would second that. Add that there is no feedback if a page fails to load (e.g. if URL is input wrongly, site is down...).

In the same vein, would be nice that, when clicking on the URI-keyboard, the current URI was shown, incl. a failed attempt as it is somewhat irritating to have to type the whole lot in again if one makes the slightest typing mistake.

Minor details, though...

Ha, about the only thing I haven't done with my m92 yet is to actually read a book... it's just so darn convenient to have access to all the news on it!

All the best...
CJ
CJY is offline   Reply With Quote