Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats > IMP

Notices

Old 01-28-2010, 11:51 AM   #1
Chauncey
Chauncey began at the beginning.

Device: ETI-2
ebook publisher & blockquotes

Can some one explain what I am doing wrong with my blockquotes?

The attached image shows what I am ending up with:

Below is the code I am using:

Code:
<STYLE TYPE="text/css">
td.coverpage {width:100%; height:445px; text-align:center; vertical-align:middle}	
h1.booktitle {margin-top:15%}
h3.author {margin-top:5%}
h3.book {margin-top:7%}
p.blockquote {margin-top:1.5ex; margin-bottom:1.5ex; margin-left:3.5em; margin-right:3.5em}
p.blockquote_begin {margin-top:1.5ex; margin-left:3.5em; margin-right:3.5em}
p.blockquote_mid {margin-top:0.5ex; margin-left:3.5em; margin-right:3.5em}
p.blockquote_end {margin-top:0.5ex; margin-bottom:1.5ex; margin-left:3.5em; margin-right:3.5em}
.pagebreak {page-break-before:always}
header {display:none; display:oeb-page-head}
span.header {font-size:x-small}
span.footer {font-size:x-small}
footer {display:none; display:oeb-page-foot}

</style>

<P class="blockquote_begin">The Great Depression of 2020 fostered a revival of organized crime. The black market in technology surpassed drugs and prostitution to become the primary source of revenue for these criminals.</P>
<P class="blockquote_end"> <b>Dr. Jessica Owen-Wells</b>, The Great Depression of 2020, copyright 2041, American Historical Society </P>
<P class="blockquote_begin">In creating the thinking machine, man has made the last step in submission to mechanization; and his final abdication before this product of his own ingenuity has given him a new object of worship: a cybernetic god.</P>
<P class="blockquote_end"><b> Lewis Mumford</b>, The Transformations of Man, 1956 </P>
<br>
Thanks in advance for any help you can give me

Chauncey
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blockquote.jpg
Views:	1365
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	44499  
Chauncey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 02:41 PM   #2
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Do you realize that blockquote is a reserved HTML tag name i.e. <blockquote> ... </blockquote>? It indents both left and right margins at the same time. Perhaps try that instead.
(see the second and third images attached which use blockquotes for each paragraph and nested blockquotes, respectively.)

I attach a .imp ebook made using just blockquotes as per this HTML code:
Code:
<STYLE TYPE="text/css">
td.coverpage {width:100%; height:445px; text-align:center; vertical-align:middle}
h1.booktitle {margin-top:15%}
h3.author {margin-top:5%}
h3.book {margin-top:7%}
p.blockquote {margin-top:1.5ex; margin-bottom:1.5ex; margin-left:3.5em; margin-right:3.5em}
p.blockquote_begin {margin-top:1.5ex; margin-left:3.5em; margin-right:3.5em}
p.blockquote_mid {margin-top:0.5ex; margin-left:3.5em; margin-right:3.5em}
p.blockquote_end {margin-top:0.5ex; margin-bottom:1.5ex; margin-left:3.5em; margin-right:3.5em}
.pagebreak {page-break-before:always}
header {display:none; display:oeb-page-head}
span.header {font-size:x-small}
span.footer {font-size:x-small}
footer {display:none; display:oeb-page-foot}

</style>
<br>
<blockquote>The Great Depression of 2020 fostered a revival of organized crime. The black market in technology surpassed drugs and prostitution to become the primary source of revenue for these criminals.</blockquote>
<blockquote><b>Dr. Jessica Owen-Wells</b>, The Great Depression of 2020, copyright 2041, American Historical Society </blockquote>
<blockquote>In creating the thinking machine, man has made the last step in submission to mechanization; and his final abdication before this product of his own ingenuity has given him a new object of worship: a cybernetic god.</blockquote>
<blockquote><b> Lewis Mumford</b>, The Transformations of Man, 1956 </blockquote>
<br>
<br class="pagebreak">
<blockquote>The Great Depression of 2020 fostered a revival of organized crime. The black market in technology surpassed drugs and prostitution to become the primary source of revenue for these criminals.<br>
<blockquote><b>Dr. Jessica Owen-Wells</b>, The Great Depression of 2020, copyright 2041, American Historical Society <br>
<blockquote>In creating the thinking machine, man has made the last step in submission to mechanization; and his final abdication before this product of his own ingenuity has given him a new object of worship: a cybernetic god.<br>
<blockquote><b> Lewis Mumford</b>, The Transformations of Man, 1956 </blockquote></blockquote></blockquote></blockquote>
<br>
Now addressing your problem:

Are you trying to reproduce that with your code using <p> only? If you want the text justified you might want to add the style "text-align: justify" to your <p> lines.

Your HTML code works for me as per the attached first image.

Perhaps, you need to use the most recent version of eBook Publisher (v2.3.15) available for download here.

What exactly would you like to see your HTML code do?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	using your code.jpg
Views:	1273
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	44502   Click image for larger version

Name:	using blockqutoes.jpg
Views:	1262
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	44503   Click image for larger version

Name:	using nested blockquotes.jpg
Views:	1260
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	44504  
Attached Files
File Type: imp test.imp (5.8 KB, 1111 views)

Last edited by nrapallo; 01-28-2010 at 09:34 PM. Reason: typo
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:45 AM   #3
Chauncey

Blockquotes

Once again thanks for the fast responce.

LOL I do this work on three different computers, when I tried the code at home using eBook Publisher ver 2.3.9 it worked like a charm. (sorry)

As for why I want to use the code <p class="blockquote">? Well I use Editpad Pro and using it's clip function in allows me to insert
( class="blockquote") inside the <p> very quickly and I don't have to move to the end of the line and insert </blockquote> the </p> closes the blockquote.

My library is on another computer but I bastardized a text up to show where I am using it...I haven't checked out poems yet so until I come up with something better it works

Chauncey
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	quote example.jpg
Views:	1250
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	44528  
Old 01-29-2010, 11:34 AM   #4
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauncey View Post
Once again thanks for the fast responce.
You're welcome! I too like using HTML code to produce .imp ebooks; it offers so much flexibility and styling to one's personal tastes.

Quote:
LOL I do this work on three different computers, when I tried the code at home using eBook Publisher ver 2.3.9 it worked like a charm. (sorry)

As for why I want to use the code <p class="blockquote">? Well I use Editpad Pro and using it's clip function in allows me to insert
( class="blockquote") inside the <p> very quickly and I don't have to move to the end of the line and insert </blockquote> the </p> closes the blockquote.
For fun try adding italics or justification to your <p> code using the p.blockquote defined in the <style> section, as follows (in bold):
Code:
p.blockquote {font-style:italic;text-align:justify;margin-top:1.5ex; margin-bottom:1.5ex; margin-left:3.5em; margin-right:3.5em}
Just have fun with it!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 02:39 AM   #5
Chauncey

I have decided to revisit this posting in case anyone else has a similar problem. The code shown above does indeed result in the correct first line placement, however I had more code after the style coding which I didn't include:

Quote:
<BODY style="text-indent:1em">
This was forcing the first line of the blockquote to start at indent:1em, I have corrected it for now using a div tag removing the indent.

Chauncey
Old 02-10-2010, 10:43 AM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chauncey View Post
I have decided to revisit this posting in case anyone else has a similar problem. The code shown above does indeed result in the correct first line placement, however I had more code after the style coding which I didn't include:
Quote:
<BODY style="text-indent:1em">

This was forcing the first line of the blockquote to start at indent:1em, I have corrected it for now using a div tag removing the indent.

Chauncey
I recently found that this body entry was required to get the indent to work properly on an eBook I was working on. It ignored the text-indent in the p entry of CSS. I would say it is a bug in eBook publisher.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote