Notices

Old 10-23-2007, 09:29 AM   #46
fishcube
Connoisseur
fishcube began at the beginning.

Device: Archos 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogg View Post
It's got a tab with a little nub at the top and bottom of the spine of the cover. The nubs fit into holes in the top and bottom of the Reader near the left edge.
Thanks for info. Does the front and back cover stick to reader with magnets?
fishcube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:37 AM   #47
Greg G
Groupie
Greg G is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle Papwerwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcube View Post
Thanks for info. Does the front and back cover stick to reader with magnets?
Yes - similar to the amount of "stick" on the 500 front cover.

-Greg
Greg G is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2007, 11:19 AM   #48
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If it was just a "name" then I wouldn't give too hoots whether people call it the "Reader" or the "eReader". The problem is that "eReader" is an eBook format which is not compatible with the Reader, so if you go around talking about "eReader books" there's a high probability of confusion - are you talking about "books in eReader format" or "books for the Sony Reader"? Even worse would be if you went to an eBook store and bought a DRM-protected book in eReader format, expecting to be able to read it on your Reader, and then discovered that you couldn't; eReader DRM has not been "cracked" so you'd be stuck with a book that you couldn't do anything with.

Because of these issues I'm afraid that I am going to keep reminding people that the machine is not called the "eReader" - it really is important.
Good for you! It is bad enough that so much sloppy English is used in general conversation, but when discussing technical (and definitely medical) matters, one should use the correct
terms and be precise.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:27 PM   #49
dugbug
Addict
dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.dugbug once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
"No docking station"

Was this useful with the 500? I thought it looked nice, and could see myself sitting down in the cradle without looking for a loose usb cable near my PC all the time.

Not a big thing, but I much prefer docking my ipod over hooking it up via the cable interface.
-d
dugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 01:43 PM   #50
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I use a cradle with my 500 ... or I did before it got packed for the move and I will again when I find the thing!

I kept it on the nightstand and would plop the 500 into it when I was ready to go to sleep and it needed charging (so not that often). It was convenient, more than anything.

I also like being able to see if it's done charging from across the room.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2007, 07:43 PM   #51
Turtle Woman
Enthusiast
Turtle Woman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
You forgot the most important Pro: You can get a beautiful pink leather cover for it!
Turtle Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:30 PM   #52
fishcube
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle Woman View Post
You forgot the most important Pro: You can get a beautiful pink leather cover for it!
I've been debating the pink cover myself Anyone actually have the pink? pics? Would like to see more pics. Are the leather covers worth the price?
Old 10-25-2007, 07:44 PM   #53
Turtle Woman
Enthusiast
Turtle Woman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
I do have the pink cover. I ordered it when I ordered my PRS505. I'm too lazy to take pictures, but I think it's a very attractive, nicely made cover with a soft suede interior and pockets on the inside back cover for some paper, a spare memory card and a clear plastic pocket that you could put a business card in in case you lose the Reader. As far as being worth the price, I'm the worst person to ask, being the Ultimate Consumer. If I want it and I have the money in the bank, I buy it.
Turtle Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 08:01 PM   #54
mcramer
Kiwi reader
mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mcramer has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPad, iPhone
Quote:
If I want it and I have the money in the bank, I buy it.
Nah - the Ultimate Consumer would buy it on credit because they didn't have the money in the bank
mcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:16 PM   #55
fishcube
Connoisseur

Quote:
I do have the pink cover. I ordered it when I ordered my PRS505. I'm too lazy to take pictures, but I think it's a very attractive, nicely made cover with a soft suede interior and pockets on the inside back cover for some paper, a spare memory card and a clear plastic pocket that you could put a business card in in case you lose the Reader. As far as being worth the price, I'm the worst person to ask, being the Ultimate Consumer. If I want it and I have the money in the bank, I buy it.
Thanks for the info. Does the magnetic closer front and back work well? What's the quality difference between the one it comes with and the leather. Is it really that much better?

If you do happen to take pics at some point would love to see them. thx
Old 10-27-2007, 12:22 AM   #56
Big B
Big B began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Sony claims a battery life of 7,500 pages....Anyone have an idea how that translates in the real world. I've got a 505 and I seem to be getting far less. For example, I've read about 300 pages of a book, and I'm down to 1/2 battery (on the indicator)...I've probably turned an additional 50 pages...going back to the main menu...etc
Big B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 12:50 AM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
7500 pages is the turn count for when you sit and turn pages. The real world count is like 2-3 weeks of average use. And with the 505 you can actually turn it off if you don't plan on using it all that much. There is a menu option in the options someplace.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 11:36 AM   #58
Big B

Found it under advanced settings...device shutdown. Is this different than the power switch turn-off? That is what I have been using.
Old 10-27-2007, 11:41 AM   #59
Big B

Just tried it out. It looks like the power switch on the 505 puts it into a "standby" mode, while the device shutdown really powers it down...

Thanks
Old 10-27-2007, 11:46 AM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big B View Post
Found it under advanced settings...device shutdown. Is this different than the power switch turn-off? That is what I have been using.
Yes it is different. Using the power switch turns off all the buttons and the display except for the power switch. And it does use battery while it sits idle. When you flip the power switch, it comes on quickly.

When you use the menu item to shut down, it actually shuts down. So say if you were not planning on using the reader for a few days, you could turn it off and save battery. Also when you turn the 505 back on, it takes a few min to boot.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote