Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-10-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
JanieB
Enthusiast
JanieB began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600
Sony Library Sync/Calibre/Tags?

Sorry for the weird title...I have no idea how to title this issue I'm having.

I downloaded a DRMed book from my library. I uploaded it to Calibre, then to my Sony PRS 600. I couldn't read it on the reader. So I uploaded it from my Sony Library to the reader - it's working fine now.

The problem is that when I plugged in the reader with the Sony Library software, it automatically synced, and I lost a bunch of my customized tags and book covers.

My questions -
1. Did I do something wrong with the DRMed book and Calibre? Is there any way to avoid Sony Library altogether when it comes to DRMs?

2. Can I add the metadata and covers to the books already on the reader, or do I have to do that through the library, delete all the books from the reader, then re-upload?

3. Although this one isn't about Calibre, maybe someone here can answer anyway - is there a way to not automatically sync when I use the reader with the Sony Library?

4. One more question about Calibre, although not related to this specific question - is there a way to search for books in my library but not yet on the reader?

Grrr...the more I use the Sony software, the more I hate it.
JanieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:02 PM   #2
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
1. Well, this is how I do with library books:
I use ADE to open them, and then drag and drop the book to the reader.

2.You can add metadata, but the changes isn't saved. I think.
3.No idea how to stop the syncing, sorry.

4. As for searching the library, just make sure you are in the main library, and then use the search field.

Hope this helped
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:49 PM   #3
JanieB
Enthusiast

Thanks for the help. I'm still unclear what the ADE library is for, since it seems the Sony Library handles DRMed files. It seems redundant, so I haven't even opened it since it first got installed. At least I can use it to avoid the Sony Library, so that's a good thing.

As for #4, what I'd like to do is find out why I have 48 books in my Calibre library, but 57 books on my reader (or vice versa). I think in other database applications, you can do a comparative search, and find things that are in one table but not in the other. Right now, it's not too hard to compare back and forth (i.e. item #1 is here, is it over there? Yes it is. Now item #2, I have it here, is it over there?) At ~50 items it's starting to get a little cumbersome to do that. Once there's 100+, it'll be even harder. So I'd like to search for books that are in one table but not the other.
Old 04-10-2010, 02:09 PM   #4
mikaelalind
Fanatic
mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikaelalind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, Cybook Odessey
Ah. I have might have an idea what happened. I think that if you click on add books while on the reader, the book get added to the reader, but not the Calibre library.
One way to check is to write for example Urban Fantasy in the search field. Then you will only see the Urban Fantasy books that you have, and then check and see which books are on the reader but not Calibre. ( Or vice versa)
mikaelalind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:39 PM   #5
JanieB
Enthusiast

Wonderful! Thank you, I'll try that out.
Old 04-10-2010, 03:24 PM   #6
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
This is something calibre might need a function for, actually. If I have 2,000 files on my Reader and 2,001 in calibre, a title-by-title comparison to find the difference isn't all that practical. Not for a human. Calibre gets the device file data already, so putting a little check mark next to files in the library that are on the device (with maybe a distinction between main memory and card, if applicable) when it's connected would make life a bit easier. That could also be incorporated into a "don't try to transfer a file if it's already there" option.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:48 PM   #7
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I believe that a 'sync' option (which is what this part of) is on the development rodamap.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:43 PM   #8
JanieB
Enthusiast

Oh yes, a sync option would be great! And/or the check-mark idea. I've already discovered at least 1 duplicate on my reader.
Old 04-10-2010, 06:32 PM   #9
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was under the impression that the 'sync' option would be more of an automatic update, rather than just an indication of what's where.

From my lofty and all-knowing position as a person who isn't actually anywhere near the code, it would seem to be very quick to implement: when the device data is read, iterate through the library, compare to device, and apply check mark (or color, or boldface, or whatever) as required. Of course, if everything was as easy as I expect it to be, the world would be a much different place. It seems like this might work as a "poor man's sync" though.
Old 04-10-2010, 07:49 PM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
I was under the impression that the 'sync' option would be more of an automatic update, rather than just an indication of what's where.
Kovid has said that an icon that indicates "on reader" will be part of an upcoming enhancement.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 12:44 AM   #11
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon

That will be a huge sanity saver. Right now I'm using tags for a workaround, and it's not much fun.