Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 02-22-2014, 12:22 AM   #16
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@BR: covers are not inserted into PDF and all custom column metadata is inserted using a special namespace so it does not cause problems for any other application.
When I convert an uncovered PDF to PDF (to get the metadata inserted) and I have a cover in the book folder then that cover is put at the front of the book. I create the covers to make it easy for me to see at a glance the nature of the book - ie Black border for legal, Green border for finance, Red border for debt etc.

Never mind, I'll blow them away with Nitro PDF

I should say why I want the Metadata in the PDFs. Content Searching, the IFilter I use will pick them up - I search across a variety of datasets not just what I have in calibre libraries, hence I use OS/FS Search Tools

I'm getting an error on pdfinfo - see attachment

Perhaps I need to register that dll - its not of course. Not a problem I can use exiftool. There's a how to here ==>> http://rossmounce.co.uk/2013/01/06/p...sing-exiftool/

BR
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	119378  

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-22-2014 at 12:49 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:42 AM   #17
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@unboggling: custom column metadata is written to EPUB.

@BR: PDF metadata has no concept of cover, the "cover" in a conversion to PDF is just a normal page which is filled with the cover image. Therefore changing/inseting the cover while updating *metadata* is not possible.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2014, 12:51 AM   #18
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I'm getting an error on pdfinfo - see attachment

BR
From a run of ProcMon it's not looking for that DLL in the DLLs directory
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 12:51 AM   #19
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@BR: pdfinfo is not really designed to be launched standalone only as part of calibre, which is why you need to install the dlls it requires separately to use it standalone. If you want to read metadata from pdf files with calibre tools use:

ebook-meta file.pdf

and to read the raw XMP metadata from the pdf file use

calibre-debug -c 'from calibre.utils.podofo import get_xmp_metadata; print get_xmp_metadata("file.pdf")'

Though note that XMP metadata is UTF-8 encoded and the windows console cannot handle arbitrary UTF-8 encoded text streams.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:12 AM   #20
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Quote:
@unboggling: custom column metadata is written to EPUB....
Huh. Thanks. That's another assumption exploded. I guess I didn't notice the custom column metadata in EPUBs because rather than "read metadata from file contents" I nearly always add books using a regular expression to parse author, series, and title. So that assumption is killed.

Quote:
@BR: pdfinfo is not really designed to be launched standalone only as part of calibre, which is why you need to install the dlls it requires separately to use it standalone. If you want to read metadata from pdf files with calibre tools use:

ebook-meta file.pdf

calibre-debug -c 'from calibre.utils.podofo import get_xmp_metadata; print get_xmp_metadata("file.pdf")'

Though note that XMP metadata is UTF-8 encoded and the windows console cannot handle arbitrary UTF-8 encoded text streams.
Thanks. Both of those work for me on OS X. So that confusion is resolved.

(rummaging around the backbrain for additional assumptions and confusions to expose and eliminate, since we're on a roll....)

Last edited by unboggling; 02-22-2014 at 01:24 AM.
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2014, 01:24 AM   #21
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Kovid, Until now I have been doing cut and paste from the opf files into exiftool commands - not a pretty sight. With this unexpected new feature the only way I've found to get the metadata that I have in the database into a PDF, is to convert the existing PDF to new PDF in the latest release.

I've tried various Save Book options and all I get is the what's in the book folder, same file size. checksums, and file dates. In case its relevant I do not retain ORIGINAL_xxxx files in the book folders.

When I do the conversion then - if the input PDF has no cover (most of mine don't they are reports, not books) then the cover.jpg file in the book folder, that I created for my convenience when using calibre, is inserted at the front of the book. I appreciate a cover is not metadata per se, but I get it as a by-product of doing a conversion, the sole purpose of which is to put the metadata into the book .

Psst - given my druther's I'd rather have a Polish PDF that just pops the XMP into the PDF and leaves everything else alone. Because as well as putting an unwanted cover on the front, the output of the conversion is far from satisfactory. The centred title comes out left justified, every line looks like a new paragraph so the document is more or less unreadable etc - yes I can probably fix that by tweaking the conversion settings, but my objective is not to convert the book, my objective is to update the embedded metadata.

BR
Old 02-22-2014, 01:35 AM   #22
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

@BR: If metadata is not being written to PDF files when you save to disk, you have either disabled the PDF metadata writer plugin or disabled updating metadata in saved copies via Preferences->Saving to disk
Old 02-22-2014, 01:41 AM   #23
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@BR: If metadata is not being written to PDF files when you save to disk, you have either disabled the PDF metadata writer plugin or disabled updating metadata in saved copies via Preferences->Saving to disk
Ah, forgot about that option. So anyone who doesn't want metadata (including custom) exported in the format can just turn that off. So another of my misconceptions bites the dust. Edit: See post #30.

Last edited by unboggling; 02-24-2014 at 08:52 PM. Reason: strike, see #30.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:43 AM   #24
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:

ebook-meta file.pdf

I wont be registering that dll for obvious reasons

Good to know about the calibre alternatives but I'll stick to exiftool its simple, it works, and I'm familiar with it.

For a console I use EmuCmd, I think it supports UTF-8 streams, I'd have to check. It's a lot better than the old PC-DOS box that MS ships, but if they shipped anything better the EU Competition Commissioner would have them up in front of it

BR
Old 02-22-2014, 01:54 AM   #25
unboggling
Wizard

Wait a minute.

If custom metadata is exported in the formats (PDF, EPUB, etc) then:

Why doesn't Polish Book insert custom metadata? Or does it?

After a book is Converted or Polished, why doesn't Viewer show the custom metadata when the Metadata icon is clicked?

Last edited by unboggling; 02-22-2014 at 01:57 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:58 AM   #26
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

The viewer does not show custom metadata. And Polish does update custom metadata.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:01 AM   #27
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
Ah, forgot about that option. So anyone who doesn't want metadata (including custom) exported in the format can just turn that off. So another of my misconceptions bites the dust.

I've never used save to disk for anything serious - so I've never really looked at those preferences very carefully.

No cover in saved book, the formatting hasn't been screwed up and the metadata is embedded. I have to drag it back to where it came from and delete it from where I saved it - but I can live with that.

@unboggling - Thanks for bringing that to my attention and to KG for putting it there.

@unboggling - you can see the custom columns in the EPUB via the Book Editor. If you want to see it in the viewer you need a customised metajacket - I hacked Modify to put the jacket at the back of the book

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-22-2014 at 02:27 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 02:32 AM   #28
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
The viewer does not show custom metadata.
That it doesn't is confusing. So with command line, ebook-meta shows all metadata in the format, including custom metadata. In the GUI, there doesn't seem to be a place to see the custom metadata that is in the format, except in booklist only the custom columns that happen to coincide with the named fields in the metadata, with values that may since have changed. (?)

Quote:
And Polish does update custom metadata.
Huh. Thanks for that answer. I don't remember seeing that in the user manual. If it is, I missed it. ETA: the Polish Book dialog "About" updating metadata doesn't mention custom columns, just mentions updating "all metadata except the cover" with the note about various formats not supporting all the metadata. My bad assumption about Polish not handling custom metadata is now also busted.

Quote:
...No cover in saved book, the formatting hasn't been screwed up and the metadata is embedded. I have to drag it back to where it came from and delete it from where I saved it - but I can live with that.

@unboggling - Thanks for bringing that to my attention and to KG for putting it there.

BR
You're welcome. Though that was mostly a serendipitous byproduct of my own slightly different assumption/confusion -busting.

ETA:
Quote:
@unboggling - you can see the custom columns in the EPUB via the Book Editor. If you want to see it in the viewer you need a customised metajacket - I hacked Modify to put the jacket at the back of the book

BR
Ah. Thanks. I hadn't noticed before, the content.opf under Miscellaneous in Edit Book. That is sufficient for me. I don't use metadata jackets. I was under the impression that metadata jackets don't include custom columns, unless that is hacked too.

Last edited by unboggling; 02-23-2014 at 01:54 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:19 PM   #29
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
ETA:
Quote:

BR
Ah. Thanks. I hadn't noticed before, the content.opf under Miscellaneous in Edit Book. That is sufficient for me. I don't use metadata jackets. I was under the impression that metadata jackets don't include custom columns, unless that is hacked too.
It's not a hack according to my definition of a hack, I'd call it customisation.

Copy the resources/jacket directory from the calibre install directory (where the calibre.exe is) to your calibre configuration folder.

You can then edit template.xhtml to include and exclude columns including custom columns. How To instructions are in the template.xhtml file. You can prettify by customising the stylesheet.css, I don't bother with that as I'm a substance trumps form sort of person.

==========

My defn : A hack is something which you have to take care of when it stops working.

My defn : A customisation is adjusting a 'by design' feature using external gadgets (eg text and image editors) for which I would expect some supplier support if a previously working customisation stopped working.

Thanks for the karma - it was that that lead me back here.

BR
Old 02-24-2014, 08:41 PM   #30
unboggling
Wizard

Quote:
Quote:
Ah, forgot about that option. So anyone who doesn't want metadata (including custom) exported in the format can just turn that off. So another of my misconceptions bites the dust.
My previous statements (shown dark orange) are false. Unchecking "update metadata in saved copies" doesn't remove metadata that is already included in the format, it just doesn't update that metadata with any changes since the book was last converted, polished, or ePub Modified. Polish updates the metadata per corresponding field, but doesn't delete then rewrite all of the metadata. So the .opf file in the format (which I assume is what people call the "manifest") can contain old metadata, for example if column(s) have been deleted, it shows the old metadata from the old and gone columns. Until a new conversion. Aside from converting or manually editing that .opf in the format, the only way I found to get rid of "gone column" metadata in EPUB was with Modify ePub "Remove non dc: metadata elements".

Quote:
It's not a hack according to my definition of a hack, I'd call it customisation.

Copy the resources/jacket directory from the calibre install directory (where the calibre.exe is) to your calibre configuration folder.

You can then edit template.xhtml to include and exclude columns including custom columns. How To instructions are in the template.xhtml file. You can prettify by customising the stylesheet.css, I don't bother with that as I'm a substance trumps form sort of person.
Thanks for the info. I'd do that, except I so often add, remove, or rename columns, or revise metadata. Jackets are static, reflecting the old metadata.

Quote:
==========

My defn : A hack is something which you have to take care of when it stops working.

My defn : A customisation is adjusting a 'by design' feature using external gadgets (eg text and image editors) for which I would expect some supplier support if a previously working customisation stopped working.
Call it what you will. If the "whatever" doesn't automatically accommodate changes, and has to be modified any time there's a changed column, and doesn't reflect current metadata, what good is it? Though it would be nice to see Comments in the book. But Comments sometimes change too. Would have to remove/add jackets with Polish. Save and Send don't update the jacket. Hmm, I'll have to think about it more.

Quote:
Thanks for the karma - it was that that lead me back here.

BR
You're welcome. And thank you for the karma.

Last edited by unboggling; 02-24-2014 at 09:10 PM. Reason: fixed mistakes.