Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-30-2023, 11:01 AM   #1
avni
try this: :(){ :|:& };:
avni began at the beginning.

Device: Pw3 & Kindle Touch
Question Please help with update problems

i have a pw3 and it updated to 5.15.1.1 and now the jailbreak is not working
i have tried to downgrade it from here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ight=snapshots and kual would not launch
avni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2023, 11:50 AM   #2
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
I regret to inform you that you are out of luck at the moment. If you check out the open sesame thread there is a warning in huge block letters warning you NOT to allow your Kindle to update to 5.15.1.1 as it breaks things. Hopefully there will be a cure for this, but only time will tell.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2023, 11:55 AM   #3
tekkasit
Groupie
tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, KV, KOA3
Sorry, the update 5.15.1.1 made a change to the keystore location file, which renders the current JB, and JB hotfix/bridges doesn't work anymore.

So, technically your device is no longer jailbroken anymore.
tekkasit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 07:58 PM   #4
avni
try this: :(){ :|:& };:
avni began at the beginning.

Device: Pw3 & Kindle Touch
Question reply

when restarting ***JAILBREAK*** showed
but ;log mrpi said mrpi is not installed
so is it recoverable
avni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 03:10 AM   #5
nicknackpaddywak
nicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enoughnicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enoughnicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enoughnicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enoughnicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enoughnicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2 (retired), Kindle Oasis 3
I literally just posted the same post not long ago. Look around for help before posting here please. This is unnecessary clutter.

As far as I am aware, symptoms are different for different devices. Some have confirmed that putting both the KUAL installer and the hotfix in the mrpackages folder and running ;log mrpi would fix the issue. Others have said rebooting twice may fix the issue. This is a new and breaking change and a patch is on the way soon.
nicknackpaddywak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2023, 01:20 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknackpaddywak View Post
a patch is on the way soon.
That would be news to me ;o).

(The "soon" part, at the very least, given that this is so far down my todo list I can't even see it).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 04-02-2023 at 01:23 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 01:24 PM   #7
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
^ Just after KFX cover extract fix for Screensaver hack
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 01:46 PM   #8
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
^ Just after KFX cover extract fix for Screensaver hack
Which is a shame btw, because it makes the ss hack almost unusable for those who read kfx (and everyone should, it is so much better than azw3). Luckily there is a script to fix that, though.
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 02:06 PM   #9
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruskie_it View Post
Luckily there is a script to fix that, though.
Are you referring to a KUAL extension I made (that uses edited version of ExtractCoverThumbs python script)?

edit: Yeah, I've just checked SS thread and found our little discussion. I've totally forgot that I've posted a link to that publicly / outside of PMs

Last edited by shamanNS; 04-02-2023 at 02:19 PM.
Old 04-02-2023, 02:20 PM   #10
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Are you referring to a KUAL extension I made (that uses edited version of ExtractCoverThumbs python script)?
Yep, exactly, I didn't remember it was you, sorry!
Sometimes it fails, that too, but now I might have a wrong cover once ten, twenty books; without the fix it was once in three or so!
Old 04-02-2023, 02:50 PM   #11
shamanNS
Guru

It fails to process books with either unicode / non-ascii characters or when book title contains things like ?: ... I can't recall what sort of problems I've noticed while still using that extension. In any case my "knowledge" of Python language + unicode (and especially differences related to strings between Python 2 and Python 3) wasn't at required level to even dare to try and fix those problems. Or to at least try to add error handling code when it encounters those type of situations. I can't even remember if the script continues processing other books when it encounters a file it doesn't like or it crashes and doesn't process the rest of KFX books.

Last edited by shamanNS; 04-02-2023 at 03:16 PM.
Old 04-02-2023, 03:19 PM   #12
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Quote:
It fails to process books with either unicode / non-ascii characters or when book title contains things like ?:... I can't recall what sort of problems I've noticed while still using that extension. In any case my "knowledge" of Python language + unicode (and especially differences related to strings between Python 2 and Python 3) wasn't at required level to even dare to try and fix those problems. Or to at least try to add error handling code when it encounters those type of situations. I can't even remember if the script continues processing other books when it encounters a file it doesn't like or it crashed and doesn't process all the KFX books.
Oh, to be honest I didn't want to "force" either you or Niluje to keep debugging your script for me, and not having the required knowledge myself (well, I know a very little bit of python, mostly what I lack is time), I didn't bother trying to recognize a pattern. In my case the title are in italian and fiction books so unicode / non ascii should be out of the question. "?" might have a role maybe, but I am not sure. Let's say that the glitches where seldom enough for me not to complain that much!
Old 04-02-2023, 05:40 PM   #13
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Given that I'm dropping Python 2 entirely, the KFX thing isn't likely to get any better any time soon ;o).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 05:48 PM   #14
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Given that I'm dropping Python 2 entirely, the KFX thing isn't likely to get any better any time soon ;o).
Fair enough Niluje, yet still a pity. I wish I could have the time and skill to fix it. Too bad the skill I could build (maybe?) but the time, with a newborn just passing the 15th month, surely not (they tell me I'm entering the nightmare years! )
Old 04-03-2023, 01:38 AM   #15
nicknackpaddywak
nicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enoughnicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enoughnicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enoughnicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enoughnicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enoughnicknackpaddywak will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2 (retired), Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
That would be news to me ;o).

(The "soon" part, at the very least, given that this is so far down my todo list I can't even see it).
Sorry, perhaps I misunderstood what you meant
nicknackpaddywak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
help for a newbie, update