Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-09-2013, 05:57 AM   #1
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
GPS turns itself on-Samsug Galaxy Player 5

Well, seems there's a new twist to my SGP5.
I don't know why or which app is doing it, but the GPS symbol is turned on in the notifications bar. When this happens the battery runs out quickly, so it is a pain. It does not show as ON in the pull-down activation menu, so I cannot turn it off. I killed Skype and any other app that might possibly have used it. Words with Friends?

I have to power down and restart, and then it does it again after a while!
I tried putting the device in Airplane Mode and it still is ON.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:34 AM   #2
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Turn it off in settings if it's anything like my phone it's under locations and security, mind you I also have a toggle in the notification bar to do it. If that doesn't work it's maybe just using the nearby wifi networks to get your location it can be just as accurate as GPS and I think still uses the location icon on the status bar.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2013, 06:51 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
Well, seems there's a new twist to my SGP5.
I don't know why or which app is doing it, but the GPS symbol is turned on in the notifications bar. When this happens the battery runs out quickly, so it is a pain. It does not show as ON in the pull-down activation menu, so I cannot turn it off. I killed Skype and any other app that might possibly have used it. Words with Friends?

I have to power down and restart, and then it does it again after a while!
I tried putting the device in Airplane Mode and it still is ON.

Any ideas or suggestions?
Thanks!
My son called me yesterday with the same problem. After seeing your post, I'm inclined to believe that an updated app is the culprit. I'll get it this weekend so I can figure out which app is causing it.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:10 AM   #4
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
My son called me yesterday with the same problem. After seeing your post, I'm inclined to believe that an updated app is the culprit. I'll get it this weekend so I can figure out which app is causing it.
Yes, thanks. I did try to turn it off in Settings - but it is not listed as ON, so can't turn it off. Please let me know about the app update. This has been going on for about 10 days.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:20 AM   #5
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
Yes, thanks. I did try to turn it off in Settings - but it is not listed as ON, so can't turn it off. Please let me know about the app update. This has been going on for about 10 days.
So far, I haven't had this problem with my SGP 4.0; which is running the same 2.3.5 version of Gingerbread. Now to see if others are experiencing the same problem.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
rgeorg
Guru

I am pretty certain that Moon+ reader has updated in the past couple of weeks. I have the SGP5 set NOT to update automatically in general. But some apps need to get data (Words with Friends?). If it helps: The only apps I use regularly are Moon+ reader, Words with Friends, Skype, Google Calendar and WWW (Gmail, Facebook, etc).
Old 05-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #7
Tabatha
Groupie
Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KTouch-PW-WIFI Galaxy Tablet 7 Plus 32gb Galaxy Player 5.0-4.2
I also had the same problem, but did a complete shutdown, waited a couple of minutes then restarted it and it has been fine since. There were several updates pushed that day from Samsung, one of them being Allshare, so that could be what caused it.

Last edited by Tabatha; 05-09-2013 at 09:54 AM. Reason: spell check
Tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:52 AM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I have this problem too a restart is the only thing that fixes it. It happens on a certain app after I close it. Next time I will pay close attention what app it was.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:33 AM   #9
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Is problem solved yet?
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 08:06 AM   #10
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth View Post
Is problem solved yet?
Probably would be if they turned off the location settings I mentioned ages ago, I think all you need to do is untick the use wireless networks and the gps satellites in the location settings then nothing should be able to activate it.
Old 05-19-2013, 02:53 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
Probably would be if they turned off the location settings I mentioned ages ago, I think all you need to do is untick the use wireless networks and the gps satellites in the location settings then nothing should be able to activate it.
That doesn't work. I never have those settings on when it happens.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #12
Tabatha
Groupie
Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KTouch-PW-WIFI Galaxy Tablet 7 Plus 32gb Galaxy Player 5.0-4.2
I found an ADS app when searching thru apps, don't know what update put it there, but have since deleted/uninstalled it. Also, a total shutdown and reboot got rid of the gps for me. Haven't had a problem since.
Tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 03:25 PM   #13
Teknikal
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
That doesn't work. I never have those settings on when it happens.
Does sound strange if that doesn't work, I had a real quick web search out of curiousity and found this thread

Sounds like it could be the same bug the only fix they mention is from yet another forum which suggests opening maps enabling gps until it gets a fix then disabling it from within maps.

Heres another couple of links I found that suggest it is a reasonably common problem maybe they will help you track narrow it down

link 1
link 2
link 3
link 4
Old 05-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #14
exscentric
Addict
exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exscentric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle keyboard
I've had several android devices that have various battery drain problems, but a good task killer set to drastic kill works, just kill everything before shutting the unit off. My samsung player 4.2 went from battery life of a day or two to couple weeks. (I do not use it much but when I want it I want it :-)
exscentric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:17 AM   #15
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by exscentric View Post
I've had several android devices that have various battery drain problems, but a good task killer set to drastic kill works, just kill everything before shutting the unit off. My samsung player 4.2 went from battery life of a day or two to couple weeks. (I do not use it much but when I want it I want it :-)
if shut "unit off" what difference killing tasks makes?
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote