Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-07-2011, 12:44 PM   #1
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Anti-ebook defences crumbling

I got the first ebook in our family last August (the newly launched K3). Then my daughter saw it and liked it so she was given one for Christmas. Recently, my son and daughter-in-law went for one each.

My husband, despite an engineering degree and a computery background is always a late adopter of technology. Basically he waits until there is someone to tell him how to do it. He pooh-poohed the idea of wanting an ereader. But I sneakily installed Kindle for PC on his laptop and have sent him copies of various books from my lot that I thought he'd like. So then he decided he'd like a Kindle for his birthday. But that's not until nearly the end of the year.

He's just finished reading a book I sent to his laptop and although he enjoyed it he admitted it wasn't easy for reading in the loo. So now, finally, I've ordered him his own K3.

I look forward to being able to share books, as we've always done with the dt sort. Now we really can get rid of most of the latter!
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Haha, well done with your sneaky plots! I've got my mother an eReader, and now I'm working on dad......
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
lestatar
LB's lolz Mutt Minion
lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lestatar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, GalaxyTab, BB Bold9700, BB 8300, Sony Clie, Palm Vx, Palm III
@OP: well done! But how come I never have anyone as wonderfully sneaky as you prodding me along?
lestatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Way to go. I'm looking for the reader my husband would like. He reads mostly magazines. He insists he doesn't want one.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:38 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I keep trying. I gave my MIL my old Sony-300 in January, loaded with about 20 books I thought she would really enjoy. When we went to see her again at Easter, I asked how she was enjoying the Sony, and she told me she really likes it, but isn't using it as she is still getting her books from the library. I am going to guess that the battery hasn't been charged since I gave it to her.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Congrats on the subversive conversion!

I got my K3 in December, and converted my roommate sometime around the end of February. It was when BB&B had the Literati on clearance. I bought it with the thought that I'd check it out then give it to him. That's what I did.

He loves it, even though it's been a pain from day one. It only works with one USB cable (not the one it came with) on one USB port, the SD card slot rarely works, and after only a few months the battery doesn't get him through more than a few chapters. He likes it anyway, but I knew it was going to either die or stop interfacing with my computer at some point, so when DailySteals had the Pandigital Novel Personal last Friday, I ordered one. I'll play with it for a few days then hand it over.

I've got him hooked now, so I can't let him end up with a dead ereader. Besides, having him involved makes my obsession with ebooks look a little less like a sickness. We don't generally read the same stuff, but he reads a lot less than I do so maintaining a joint library for both of us is no trouble. I've warned him that the Pandigital is not backlit, but in exchange for reading under a light, he gets a battery that should last more than an hour.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:09 PM   #7
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Some of my friends are like your hubby they are not sure of themselves around technology and like to have other experts around them to be tech support. Myself, I have learned to be mroe sure of myself around technology and have always been the first on my block and/or in my family to adopt a new technology. I just installed internet radio at home and I love it. I think this has more to do with one's confort level with our own ability to master new skills and new technology. I have always been the one to meet new chellenges in my family rather unlike my pop whose home is based on 1970's technology.

What I did not see in your inital post is a disucssion of what you and your family need in terms of an electronic reader. I am not attempting to disparage a kindle, I am primarily a Kinderler myself, but there is no one best reader for all people. I think that the Kobo would have been a better fit since the Kobo is the simplest reader on the market, the Kobo has one button and only one.

Now that you have your kindle make sure that you read the oddball books that Amazon carrys such as a book that recently read, from Amazon, and love it called Cibola by David Wood. I mean lets face it Amazon has everything. If you don't read those oddball books you might as well have bought a Kobo and save some dollars and not gotten the ability to buy abosolutely any electronic book you can immagine. Another thing is explore those customization options that the kindle has that no one else has, you can put your name in your kindle, not something my blackberry electronic readers will allow.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:15 PM   #8
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I showed my Kindle 3 to a friend of mine who's a deacon of the church we both attend. He was thinking he'd have to see about getting one for himself after I showed it to him. Seems the Kindle practically sells itself. lol.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:44 PM   #9
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Some of my friends are like your hubby they are not sure of themselves around technology and like to have other experts around them to be tech support. Myself, I have learned to be mroe sure of myself around technology and have always been the first on my block and/or in my family to adopt a new technology. I just installed internet radio at home and I love it. I think this has more to do with one's confort level with our own ability to master new skills and new technology. I have always been the one to meet new chellenges in my family rather unlike my pop whose home is based on 1970's technology.

What I did not see in your inital post is a disucssion of what you and your family need in terms of an electronic reader. I am not attempting to disparage a kindle, I am primarily a Kinderler myself, but there is no one best reader for all people. I think that the Kobo would have been a better fit since the Kobo is the simplest reader on the market, the Kobo has one button and only one.

Now that you have your kindle make sure that you read the oddball books that Amazon carrys such as a book that recently read, from Amazon, and love it called Cibola by David Wood. I mean lets face it Amazon has everything. If you don't read those oddball books you might as well have bought a Kobo and save some dollars and not gotten the ability to buy abosolutely any electronic book you can immagine. Another thing is explore those customization options that the kindle has that no one else has, you can put your name in your kindle, not something my blackberry electronic readers will allow.
Interesting points. I did discuss how I got where I am in this thread.

I am basically not a techy person. although I'm not scared of technology. But I am far from being a geek. I am lazy in that I don't want to go to a lot of trouble over something that is basically a tool. At the time I started looking for a reader in the UK kobo was not available. I read a lot about Sonys and Kindles and didn't finally decide until the launch of the K3, which seemed so cheap that if it proved bad it wouldn't be a disaster.

At my age I am very much aware of the limited time ahead of me in which to read and I have become less rather than more adventurous in my reading. There is such a wealth of stuff I already love or know I want to read that I don't actively seek out all that many new books. One of my motives in getting an ereader was to be able to dispose of most of my considerable library (built up over about 55 years) of dt books. I want to simplify my life and I long ago ran out of space. I love books, but it is possible to love things too much.
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:36 PM   #10
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I am so thrilled with my Kindle 3 and Kobo Wifi, I have screwed up my courage so that this weekend I'm going to buy a VCR as well.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:38 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So hubby will have a K4 while the rest of the family will have a K3.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote