Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-27-2011, 11:22 PM   #1
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Add comments when adding new books

Somewhere along with Calibre updates, comments and summaries stopped being added when I add new books and I can't figure out how to fix that. I have to go back to every book added, click on Edit metadata, and then Download metadata to get the summaries added in. It used to add that info when I would add books either singly or in bulk.

I've searched through Preferences and it all seems to be checked in the right places, but I must be missing something.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:39 PM   #2
unboggling
Wizard
unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.unboggling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kindle Paperwhite 10
Preferences ==> icons in Sharing Area: Metadata download (blue circle with i) ==> area to right: Downloaded metadata fields. Checkbox next to "Comments". Was that checked or not?
unboggling is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2011, 11:39 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Somewhere along with Calibre updates, comments and summaries stopped being added when I add new books and I can't figure out how to fix that. I have to go back to every book added, click on Edit metadata, and then Download metadata to get the summaries added in. It used to add that info when I would add books either singly or in bulk.

I've searched through Preferences and it all seems to be checked in the right places, but I must be missing something.
It work for Single Metadata downloads, but doesn't on Bulk?
BTW AFAIK Calibre never added 'external' metadata on a normal Add Books. It will read Metadata from File CONTENTS, if that option is chosen.

It did add Metadata when doing a 'Add From ISBN'. I assumed that was a special case.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:50 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Somewhere along with Calibre updates, comments and summaries stopped being added when I add new books and I can't figure out how to fix that.
Calibre never went out and got summaries/comments when you added new books. Comments and summaries are only added when you add new books if the book already has comments in its metadata.

Quote:
I have to go back to every book added, click on Edit metadata, and then Download metadata to get the summaries added in.
This is standard operating procedure. The only way to get metadata that was not with the book when the book is added is to use the download metadata feature.

Quote:
You aren't missing anything.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:29 AM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unboggling View Post
Preferences ==> icons in Sharing Area: Metadata download (blue circle with i) ==> area to right: Downloaded metadata fields. Checkbox next to "Comments". Was that checked or not?
Yes, it's checked.

It's been awhile since I added books, but I really can't imagine that I went back through 300+ books to add metadata. It will add the metadata either singly or in bulk by clicking on the Edit metadata button, but I didn't recall having to do that before.

So there's no way to get the entire metadata including summaries added in when you originally add the books to the library so you're forced into a 2-step process then (add books and then go back to add metadata for them all)?
Advert
Old 07-28-2011, 12:40 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
So there's no way to get the entire metadata including summaries added in when you originally add the books to the library so you're forced into a 2-step process then (add books and then go back to add metadata for them all)?
If the book you're adding doesn't have all of the metadata you want already in it then you are correct.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 01:29 AM   #7
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

Ok, thanks for the clarification.