Notices

Old 04-26-2013, 10:16 AM   #226
Carpman
Connoisseur
Carpman began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro
JD

Cracked it!!!!!

Mind I've burnt my dinner in the process..............

As a long shot and remembering something you previously posted (not in respect to this problem) I went into Calibre
and re-formatted the book to MOBI.

I then re-formatted back to epub and after deleting the copy of the book on my Arc reimported the book and it has come good. The "foreign" characters have all been changed to their original format and I can now read my book.

I now have to try this with the rest of my FTP'd books, luckily that is not a very arduous task.

Hopefully all sorted, however I do not understand how the problem really came about, others here have installed
"statusbar.free" without reported problems.

I'm just happy to be reading, though I now have to explain to the wife about her burnt evening meal!!!!
Carpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:03 PM   #227
Carpman
Connoisseur
Carpman began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro
One final comment;

This evening when browsing Google Play I noticed that someone else was complaining about "foreign" characters (punctuation) now showing in books when using the Kobo software.

It seems that Kobo have just released an update to the software that is causing the problem that I have spent the day sorting out.

I have emailed Kobo to inform them of the glitch, given the lack of "customer service" I just wonder how long it takes them to wake up to the problem and provide a new software update to fix this.

Thankfully I was able to find a work around, how many people are experiencing this problem
now? ...........so much for software testing prior to launch!!!!!
Carpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2013, 04:53 AM   #228
paulsalter
Fanatic
paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paulsalter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpman View Post

I have emailed Kobo to inform them of the glitch, given the lack of "customer service" I just wonder how long it takes them to wake up to the problem and provide a new software update to fix this.

Thankfully I was able to find a work around, how many people are experiencing this problem
now? ...........so much for software testing prior to launch!!!!!
Last time I reported a bug with this app it was about 3 to 4 weeks before an update came out to fix it
paulsalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:42 PM   #229
JhamishW
JhamishW began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
have a kobo vox - worst purchase ever made - books disappear on a regular basis - why develop the arc - you failed with the vox - and the vox has way too many useless apps that eat up battery usage
JhamishW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:45 PM   #230
RareBird
Addict
RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RareBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JhamishW View Post
have a kobo vox - worst purchase ever made - books disappear on a regular basis - why develop the arc - you failed with the vox - and the vox has way too many useless apps that eat up battery usage
The arc is a far superior device. I've recommended it to quite a few people since I purchased mine.
RareBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #231
cyndersk
Enthusiast
cyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Touch & Kobo Arc
Lock Screen

Can you tell me when the lock screen functionality is going to be available on the Arc? I'm talking about being able to set shortcuts, use different wallpaper, choose what to display: clock, weather, information ticker etc. My phone has this and it is on the same version of Jellybean as the Arc - so how come we didn't get that with the update to jellybean?

Just one of my MANY frustrations with the Arc.
cyndersk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:23 AM   #232
Angel Shah
Angel Shah began at the beginning.

Device: none
Does kobo arc supports google maps api v2 for goole map? I made one app that run on all devices but it crashed in kobo arc...can anyone help me???
Angel Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:47 AM   #233
akp
akp began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Making it kids friendly...

Just got a Kobo Arc for my 8 year old in the UK. While adding widgets and her having chosen teh 'Comic' widget - it displayed a very graphic cover image of an explicit adult book. How can I disable such recommendations to make them suitable for such children? Any way of controlling teh widgets?

Regards

AP
akp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 11:52 AM   #234
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
If you mean down in the Discover bar, all you can do is go to Settings -> Apps -> All -> Discovery Service -> Disable. Next time the Arc is powered up, the bar will be empty and remain so.

If you mean the Comics widget itself, then all you can do is remove the widget...
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:42 PM   #235
AlmightyTritan
AlmightyTritan has a spectacular aura aboutAlmightyTritan has a spectacular aura aboutAlmightyTritan has a spectacular aura aboutAlmightyTritan has a spectacular aura aboutAlmightyTritan has a spectacular aura aboutAlmightyTritan has a spectacular aura aboutAlmightyTritan has a spectacular aura aboutAlmightyTritan has a spectacular aura aboutAlmightyTritan has a spectacular aura aboutAlmightyTritan has a spectacular aura aboutAlmightyTritan has a spectacular aura about

I really want to change around the software buttons, has anyone found a method of rooting the device. And if not Kobo-Robin can you let us know if it's possible?
AlmightyTritan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:43 AM   #236
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
If anyone's found a way to root the Arc yet, they have been keeping VERY quiet about it. And Kobo, despite not being beholden to any carriers or (unlike Amazon or B&N) an ecosystem to lock the device into, seem quite vehement about keeping us away from root so that we can't do things like enable proper USB support, edit our hosts files so we can have some basic protection when surfing the Web, or change a single value in build.prop so that our tablets can use the tablet version of the Jelly Bean UI instead of the phone version it currently uses.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:57 PM   #237
tlaine
Zealot
tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Mini; Kindle PW2
I'd like to know if Kobo has plans to upgrade Jelly Bean to 4.2, or if this is it.
tlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #238
rayhigh
Zealot
rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo (wife)
Glad I read this. I'll stick to the Nexus 7 until a retina iPad mini comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
If anyone's found a way to root the Arc yet, they have been keeping VERY quiet about it. And Kobo, despite not being beholden to any carriers or (unlike Amazon or B&N) an ecosystem to lock the device into, seem quite vehement about keeping us away from root so that we can't do things like enable proper USB support, edit our hosts files so we can have some basic protection when surfing the Web, or change a single value in build.prop so that our tablets can use the tablet version of the Jelly Bean UI instead of the phone version it currently uses.
rayhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:34 AM   #239
asphodeli
asphodeli began at the beginning.

I am contemplating to trade my kobo arc in at a store to get a discount on a Nexus 7 too.
asphodeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:36 PM   #240
Dellboy67
Dellboy67 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Dellboy67 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Dellboy67 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Dellboy67 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Dellboy67 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Dellboy67 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Dellboy67 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Dellboy67 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Dellboy67 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Dellboy67 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Dellboy67 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Touch and Arc & Kindle for Ipod
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoboxingfiend View Post
I love the display on the ARC, but is there a way to preserve side loaded epubs? My daughter uses the TTS feature from Moon+ when she's using my arc, but if i was to import books within the kobo app, it converts it away from the epub.
Have you tried using the Send to Kindle desktop app? That will convert your epub files to mobi but works brilliantly plus its much better than the Kobo reader!
Dellboy67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ama, developers corner, kobo arc