Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-14-2007, 04:35 PM   #1
Sorcerous
Sorcerous began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Announcing RSS/Atom/Podcast Downloader for Reader

Hi all,

I have released public beta #1 of a new tool to convert rss/atom news feed and download podcasts to the Reader. I would love your feedback!

http://www.readerette.com/2007/01/14...s-transferrer/

Thanks and enjoy!

Vidal.
http://www.readerette.com
Sorcerous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2007, 10:56 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Hey, Vidal, welcome to MobileRead. I was just wondering the other day what you'd been up to since September -- now I know.

This looks good, I certainly like the looks of the interface: nice and clean.

I'm downloading it now (I do love FireFox's tabs!), I'll have to see how dear old MobileRead looks on it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2007, 11:40 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Well, it seems quite straightforward, I had no trouble figuring out how to add feeds, and MR certainly looks nice on it.

I'll have to reboot to see how it looks on the Reader -- ConnSoft isn't wanting to run at the moment.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MobileRead Networks.pdf (1,003.4 KB, 482 views)
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 05:44 PM   #4
Gloucester
Gloucester began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader/ REB
Thumbs up

Great tool! The only suggestion I have (and your forum mentions you are working on this) is to include links so that for those blogs that only have summaries on their RSS/Atom feed you can capture the entire entry. However, for those that don't do this trick, it is great!
Gloucester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2007, 10:48 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Ran the install program (internal setup version was listed as 1.00.000) in Windows XP Home. It stopped with a MS Visual C++ Runtime Library "abnormal termination error" just after unpacking the files on the install. No additional information was given.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2007, 08:48 AM   #6
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

RWood, do you have Dot NET intalled? It's required by this tool.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2007, 10:45 AM   #7
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Oops. Not on this machine. I'll try it on the one I do have Net 2.0 on, I found Net 2.0 to be invasive, a pain, and not something I needed for the programs I ran.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2007, 06:14 PM   #8
Sorcerous

It is supposed to install .net if you don't have it. Thanks for the report, and sorry for the inconvenience. Don't know what could have gone wrong.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
Ran the install program (internal setup version was listed as 1.00.000) in Windows XP Home. It stopped with a MS Visual C++ Runtime Library "abnormal termination error" just after unpacking the files on the install. No additional information was given.
Old 02-05-2007, 03:12 AM   #9
Sorcerous

A new release is available for immediate download here. Please use the following demo key "D0101-AA47CE5088-15Feb2007." Free licenses will be given to testers who provide meaningful feedback.

Quick overview of what is new:
  • Improved interface throughout
  • A larger 14 pt font is used for documents created for the Sony Reader making them easier to read.
  • Ability to download webpages that are not news or podcasts
  • Displays "favicons"
  • Many bug fixes, and compatibility improvements

Enjoy!

Last edited by Sorcerous; 02-05-2007 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Formatting
Old 02-15-2007, 06:17 PM   #10
Gloucester

This most recent version works well. I notices some additional background contrast with the htm pages and while the change in font size control does not make any significant difference, changing to landscape does. This works really well and is very readable in either orientation, but especially in Landscape (to my old eyes).
Old 02-16-2007, 10:01 AM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
<snip> I found Net 2.0 to be invasive, a pain, and not something I needed for the programs I ran.
Can you elaborate? As a .Net developer I am interested in your answer. How is it "invasive" and a "pain"?

Of course you are correct, it isn't needed for the programs you run, unless you run a program that needs it. (From the Department of Redundent Redundency).

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2007, 10:54 AM   #12
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
I can tell you from a Mac OS X perspective it's a pain because it isn't cross platform.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:29 PM   #13
Gloucester

Some webpages are clipped off on either side, moving to landscape does not help. Does seem to handle most webpages well.