Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-14-2010, 09:03 AM   #1
cypherslock
Groupie
cypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of lightcypherslock is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Vox
Confused about Kindle for PC

I've got the K2 and have downloaded a bunch of samples to Kindle to PC. I want those samples on the Kindle but when I plug it in there doesn't seem to be a way to transfer them (or indeed books on the K2 off) to the Kindle from Kindle to PC. Am I missing something here?
cypherslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:10 AM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
No, your aren't missing anything. There's no way to do that. You have to download them to the computer but not to Kindle for PC.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terisa de morgan View Post
No, your aren't missing anything. There's no way to do that. You have to download them to the computer but not to Kindle for PC.
Not sure about that Terise. I do not have a Kindle, but a Kindle for PC and you can find those books in "My Kindle contents". It should be possible to transfer those samples and books to Kindle, shouldn't it?
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:46 AM   #4
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Actually, I think you can do it. You just have to find the folder on your PC's hard drive that contain the samples. On my laptop, they're in My Kindle Content under My Documents. You should be able to transfer the files in that folder to your Kindle via USB, and vice versa.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:05 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Complete ebooks with DRM (encryption), can't be transfered from K4PC to a Kindle (i.e. they won't open on the Kindle). Instead you would use the "download to a PC" option and select the K2 as the target. The point is that the DRM is unique to each device and each ebook, so K4PC files won't work on a K2.

Most samples are DRM-free, and so you can transfer them from K4PC to a Kindle if you want.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2010, 10:19 AM   #6
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Yes, Wallcraft has reason, they've different DRM key (in the same way, you can't pass a Kindle file from iPhone to Kindle).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 10:25 AM   #7
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Complete ebooks with DRM (encryption), can't be transfered from K4PC to a Kindle (i.e. they won't open on the Kindle). Instead you would use the "download to a PC" option and select the K2 as the target. The point is that the DRM is unique to each device and each ebook, so K4PC files won't work on a K2.

Most samples are DRM-free, and so you can transfer them from K4PC to a Kindle if you want.
Well yes, the samples were the subject here, weren't they?
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:11 PM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I believe samples are DRM-free and can be opened with Mobipocket Reader.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:51 PM   #9
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
I believe samples are DRM-free and can be opened with Mobipocket Reader.
Unfortunately, not.

I've certainly had no problem reading the same samples on the Kindle, the PC and in the iPhone app. But not in the Mobi Pocket Reader. When I try to do that, I see a message saying the format is unsupported. It looks like the samples are DRM'd after all (unless I'm doing something wrong).
Old 01-14-2010, 01:00 PM   #10
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
If the book is Topaz, of course, the sample won't work in Mobipocket Reader. You might have to rename the book so that the file extension is .mobi instead of .azw, though. I just opened one just fine doing that.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:16 PM   #11
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
It works for me. I tried it 2 ways.

1) I downloaded The Paris Vendetta sample to my computer for my K2. It opened with no problem with MPR.

2) I downloaded the Stone to Schools sample and chose MPR to open it. That didn't work. Then I went the "My Kindle Content" directory and clicked on the file and it opened in MPR.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sample to k2.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	43389   Click image for larger version

Name:	sample to K4PC.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	136.3 KB
ID:	43390  
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:05 PM   #12
Mike L
Wizard

Well, I said I might be doing something wrong. Give me five minutes and I'll try again
Old 01-14-2010, 03:08 PM   #13
Mike L
Wizard

OK, I stand corrected. I was trying to open the MBP file in Mobi Pocket (seems reasonable; isn't that what MBP stands for?). Anyway, that didn't work.

But when I tried to open a PRC in Mobi Pocket, it worked fine.

So, yes, it appears that the samples are non DRM.