Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-31-2009, 09:54 AM   #16
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Haven't Fujitsu already released a colour device?
Yes, it should be next month. It is e-Paper but not e-Ink.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:40 PM   #17
amgoforth
Groupie
amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 Kindles, 2 Nooks, 2 Kobos, Ipad.
Quote:
Haven't Fujitsu already released a colour device?
What was your opinion of that device, Harry? I have finally been able to get Internet Archive and Google PDFs to display well on two of my devices, Illiad and Digital Reader, so I have limited interest. Would color be an advantage, do you think, in viewing these kind of PDFs?
amgoforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2009, 12:43 PM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Personally I think it's more of a "technology demonstration" than a practical device. Too expensive and way too slow to refresh the screen to be practical for reading on.

I honestly can't say that I'm desperately bothered about colour. Reading novels is what I have an eBook reader for, very few of which have colour illustrations.

I can see, though, that there applications for which colour would be enormously beneficial.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:09 PM   #19
amgoforth
Groupie
amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amgoforth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2 Kindles, 2 Nooks, 2 Kobos, Ipad.
Quote:
Personally I think it's more of a "technology demonstration" than a practical device. Too expensive and way too slow to refresh the screen to be practical for reading on.

I honestly can't say that I'm desperately bothered about colour. Reading novels is what I have an eBook reader for, very few of which have colour illustrations.

I can see, though, that there applications for which colour would be enormously beneficial.
Thanks, thats what I thought. Color would not really help me that much to view Google and Internet Archive PDFs.
amgoforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:28 PM   #20
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
Address of the blog for Robert B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faenad View Post
What are the adress of the blog and of the Astak website?
Dear Faenad:

The blog address is: RobertbEZ@blogspot.com

The website address is: www.mobiebook.com

Note: A brand new website that will sell books (including 20,000 Multiformat books) is being constructed and is due to open in about 8 working days. That new site is: www.goEZeBook.com

We are excited about the new website as it will have a new FAQ sheet, interactive space you can leave notes and any problems and comments, and the best books around. Once the SDK is completed for eReader and Adobe Digital Editions (both getting close)... these DRM books will be offered also and the formats can be downloaded onto your EZ Reader. The new site is very user friendly and we think it offers much more for the end user.

This new site will also have the latest info and pictures and soon-to-be-released Mentor and EZ Reader models. It will also sell accesssories for the EZ Reader such as custom leather cases and reading lights.

I will keep all updated when this site will open.

Robert B
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2009, 01:35 PM   #21
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Color may or may not help you

Quote:
Originally Posted by amgoforth View Post
Thanks, thats what I thought. Color would not really help me that much to view Google and Internet Archive PDFs.
Dear Harry:

I think what will help more is a device that has 16 levels of greyscale and is formatted with Adobe Digital Editions. These two will make a major difference on viewing pdf. Also, the new 9.7 inch devices coming out later this year (hopefully early Fall) will help. Astak will offer all of this in their Mentor line. We are also right now working with Google to secure their vast library for our devices.

Thank you,

Robert B
Old 03-31-2009, 09:10 PM   #22
harryE123
Banned
harryE123 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex reader
Vapourware Galore

I find it very offensive that these guys have been using this forum as a place to promote robertbs vapourware. Your 9.7 reader was supposed to be ready less than a year ago or so and a lot of people put off their purchases, including myself, and wasted their time following your useless thread -imo again- that was basically "hey tell us your idea, let me promote my wares, do you maybe want a coffee machine feature with your ebook reader?" and a "oh we run into no 1,2,3, 999, technical problem and we won't deliver" affair.

And now we get "oh these poor guys" comments from very suspect to their affiliation with astak "forum members".

Irex didn't come here promoting there vapourware but they had a better product that materialized. I know this is a news/rumors site but I personally wouldn't give these guys the time of the day, and I consider it unfair to other manufacturers who havent' taken us for the proverbial ride to give these guys free promo here.
harryE123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:14 PM   #23
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
At least we get news from Astak. None of the other manufacturers see fit to give the consumer the light of day. I for one very much appreciate Robert's openness and willingness to talk and listen to us.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:27 PM   #24
harryE123
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
At least we get news from Astak. None of the other manufacturers see fit to give the consumer the light of day. I for one very much appreciate Robert's openness and willingness to talk and listen to us.
I wouldn't categorize robert as a manufacturer since they have manufactured close to zip. As for the news, you mean the various twist and turns in terms of their vapourware saga? Cause I would think that manufacturers should instead of engaging in idle chit chat manufacture products. "Openness" and "willingness" don't cut it for me when you don't have an actual product, plus they come at a cost of making these guys permanent staples of the forum with nothing to offer. This is very dishonest in my opinion, I do not plan to ever buy anything from them.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:46 PM   #25
snipenekkid
Banned
snipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensionssnipenekkid can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryE123 View Post
Vapourware Galore

I find it very offensive that these guys have been using this forum as a place to promote robertbs vapourware. Your 9.7 reader was supposed to be ready less than a year ago or so and a lot of people put off their purchases, including myself, and wasted their time following your useless thread -imo again- that was basically "hey tell us your idea, let me promote my wares, do you maybe want a coffee machine feature with your ebook reader?" and a "oh we run into no 1,2,3, 999, technical problem and we won't deliver" affair.

And now we get "oh these poor guys" comments from very suspect to their affiliation with astak "forum members".

Irex didn't come here promoting there vapourware but they had a better product that materialized. I know this is a news/rumors site but I personally wouldn't give these guys the time of the day, and I consider it unfair to other manufacturers who havent' taken us for the proverbial ride to give these guys free promo here.

oh, freaking PERFECT.....just what this place needs...ANOTHER HARRY to suck the life out of a thread when walking into it.
snipenekkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 11:03 PM   #26
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Wow, my EZ Reader feels awful solid for vaporware....
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:00 AM   #27
SaraD
Groupie
SaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with othersSaraD plays well with others

Device: Sony 650, Basic Kindle 7th generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by snipenekkid View Post
oh, freaking PERFECT.....just what this place needs...ANOTHER HARRY to suck the life out of a thread when walking into it.
I decline to comment on the bit about "another Harry", but do agree with the overall sentiment. Robert has never intentionally given incorrect information and does his best to be honest about what he can do, which is to collect information for a product that we all hope to have available someday. The e-mails I wrote to Foxit Reader and others asking questions about prices or actual specs received rude responses and of course no real information. Perhaps you have not tried corresponding wth any of them?

Sooner rather than later would have been nice, but a 9.7" device didn't happen for anybody in the industry who had promised it last fall. My neice is probably thinking almost the same thing about the quilt I am making her for high school graduation being the same kind of "vaporware" that you nastily describe. The quilt top, however, is actually half sewn with the rest of the blocks in process sitting on the guest room bed. My neice is kind enough not to say anything impolite and hopefully I will finish by graduation in June. If not then by her birthday in July, maybe. Or not since my baby is due then - see where I'm going? A saga of delays for over a year since I bought the fabric for a simple 9 patch queen size quilt.

At 17 years of age a sarcastic teenager has at least learned the lesson about not saying anything in public if she can't say something nice or at least constructive. Please show the same courtesy to those of us who believe what Robert has to say and are willing to have some faith in his efforts. Even if you think we are delusional an the whole thing and being taken in, please don't take the joy & fun out of something that should be happy.
SaraD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:19 AM   #28
harryE123
Banned

Ok, I didn't mean to be a killjoy but I had to express my views and sentiments in all honesty and to do so as politely as I could because I have personally been let down by this affair. However it's not my intention to divert the original intent of the thread so I will not comment any further. I can appreciate other users' sentiments as well even if I do not subscribe with them.
Old 04-01-2009, 06:45 AM   #29
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear Over:

Nope, the 8.1 and 9.7 devices are still coming as late as October and as early as August, 2009. Most companies at CES have a release and then choose an "official release date" at CES to gather press. In 2008 we unveiled the EZ Reader Basic in October but still did the 'official release" at CES.

Normally, when you release a product it is greeted with a resounding YAWN until it is officially released to the press. In reality this helps companies as they do not have their ordering lines flooded the first day. The other fact is that it takes a while for press reviews to be made... so we release when we have the units and send to reviewers shortly after that.

MobileRead Forum always gets first notice of Astak Releases and normally Dale DePriest does the intro on MobileRead Forum as I want him to know first. I trust Dale and his opinions.

Robert B

Good to hear that. I'm (still) looking forward for the 9.7in device. I just hope it will be easy to purchase from Europe.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 04:09 PM   #30
Robertb

Thank you, Harry, anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryE123 View Post
Vapourware Galore

Dear Harry:

We only printed the first start of the thread it seems about 7-9 months ago, but I accept where you are coming from and appreciate your feedback. You should know that ALL 9.7 screens were in glass 7-9 months ago. The glass screens , for all manufacturers cracked. Would you have me put out a faulty product, Harry, just to rush to market? I am NOT a panel manufacturer and they were the ones who had to solve the problem for ALL manufacturers (not just Astak). The first flexi-screens roll off the assembly line from PVI (the panel manufacturer) in late April, 2009. I cannot release a product without panels so WHAT could I possibly do?

I appreciate your frustration and bad comments... because I am frustrated too!! Do not you think I would LOVE to be selling 9.7 inch devices now? I could make a nice profit instead of sitting around waiting. I did post ALL of this about ten times on the main thread.

Vaporware?? We have already released our 6 inch EZ Reader and it was well received and had zero returns. In 5 weeks, as announced yesterday, the first 6 inch Mentor will go on sale. That is not vaporware!!

Harry, I cannot remotely reply in any anger as I appreciate that you took the time to write. I just wish you would realize that nobody more than Astak wants the 9.7 inch selling BUT THERE ARE NO PANELS YET. Once we get an adequate stock of panels we have to make sure there are no problems before we sell. I am NOT going to rush and put out a faulty product. You wouldn't want that. I am sorry that you feel the way you do; and hope that you will reconsider.

Robert B