Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 01-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #16
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My most recent suggestion was to move the warning message above the Message Compose Box. This would overcome my particular problem that I can't see the warning because its off the bottom of the browser window.

That and making the message a little more prominent would be great.

BTW I don't use the mouse to click the buttons I use keyboard shortcuts - that's another reason I miss the warning.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:23 PM   #17
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
My most recent suggestion was to move the warning message above the Message Compose Box. This would overcome my particular problem that I can't see the warning because its off the bottom of the browser window.
Even on my full size monitor I don't see the warning until I have finished replying to the post and scroll down to submit. By that time I have put my time into the message and I would be less inclined to ware about an optional warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
That and making the message a little more prominent would be great.
This would be great.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2013, 05:16 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I would not like a pop-up. It's annoying, and it only appears after one has already written the post (in that case, a likely reaction would be to post anyway, rather that write it again elsewhere).

I would prefer to replace the "Quick Reply" box (and "New Reply" button) with a warning, only by clicking away the warning (and hopefully reading it) should it be possible to write a reply.
I would find that more annoying to have to click a button every time I want to reply. How about when you start typing in your message in an old thread then it pops up and warns you?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #19
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
I would not like a pop-up. It's annoying, and it only appears after one has already written the post (in that case, a likely reaction would be to post anyway, rather that write it again elsewhere).

I would prefer to replace the "Quick Reply" box (and "New Reply" button) with a warning, only by clicking away the warning (and hopefully reading it) should it be possible to write a reply.
I would find that more annoying to have to click a button every time I want to reply. How about when you start typing in your message in an old thread then it pops up and warns you?
Not every time you wanted to reply only on the rare occasions when you wanted to reply to an "Old Thread".
Old 01-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #20
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I've never had a problem with accidentally resurrecting an old thread. Whether posting with quick reply, in the advanced mode, or quoting another member, the warning is plainly visible above the "Submit" button. Do other members experience the behavior of MobileRead on their computers differently?

Now, if someone's using Tapatalk, it would be easy to resurrect an old thread: No warnings appear. Same thing with MobileRead.mobi. But every time I go to post in an old thread on MobileRead.com, I see this, and to me at least, it's pretty hard to miss:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MR Old Thread Warning quote.PNG
Views:	233
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	99328  
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2013, 01:50 AM   #21
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Whether posting with quick reply, in the advanced mode, or quoting another member, the warning is plainly visible above the "Submit" button. Do other members experience the behavior of MobileRead on their computers differently?
We all see it the same, but I don't see it until I scroll down the screen to click submit. If I had taken 10 minutes to format the post exactly as I wanted it, and then saw this warning as I scrolled down to click submit, I would be less inclined to pay attention to the warning then I would have been if I saw the warning before I started to formulate my post.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-14-2013 at 01:53 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:45 AM   #22
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
I've never had a problem with accidentally resurrecting an old thread. Whether posting with quick reply, in the advanced mode, or quoting another member, the warning is plainly visible above the "Submit" button.
I don't see the Submit button because I don't click it, I use keyboard hotkeys to Preview & Submit.

As I've suggested before - move the warning above the Message box and below the Title and it should stand out like... a Belisha Beacon - before we even start typing a reply

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-16-2013 at 02:48 AM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 09:27 PM   #23
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I would prefer that old threads become locked and a new one started. I want to read fresh content. A 2 year old discussion of what to buy that gets resurrected is wasteful as the early posts will be superseded by newer technologies.

Starting a fresh discussion around the topic is best as long as we don't jump on people for starting a new topic when there is already an older one.

Perhaps lock them after 90 days?
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:25 PM   #24
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
By "old thread" I assume you mean "inactive for a long time". Some threads in the Lounge have been running for a couple of years - maybe more. They are kind of fun to follow.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote