Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #1
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Windows 8 Surface Pro Reviews

CNET got actual hands-on time for review of Surface Pro at CES:
http://reviews.cnet.com/microsoft-surface-pro/

Quote:
The original Surface tablet received mixed reviews, largely because of its Windows RT operating system. The Surface Pro is the more significant product, because it makes no computing compromises: it's the dream of a tablet as your PC, while the original Surface felt more like an iPad competitor.
Quote:
The Surface Pro supports pressure-sensitive styli, and Microsoft has its own Surface Pen Pro that magnetically attaches to the power connector to hold it in place on the go. Writing and sketching felt natural, and palm-rejection technology activates the moment the Surface Pro senses the stylus approaching the screen.
Quote:
Can a tablet comfortably be your full PC? So far, when it comes to my limited time with Surface Pro, the answer seems to be yes. And that could, in the long run, be the most impactful development in PCs in years.
Promising, promising...
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I am going back and forth between that one and the Samsung Ativ 700. All the other ones either seem to have slower processors or a lower screen resolution, and I will need to put Adobe CS6 on it.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I am going back and forth between that one and the Samsung Ativ 700. All the other ones either seem to have slower processors or a lower screen resolution, and I will need to put Adobe CS6 on it.
It might come down to the bloatware on the Samsung--cause the whole point of the Surface is that it'll be a pristine Win8 experience.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:07 AM   #4
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
I am also extremely intrigued: but

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
It might come down to the bloatware on the Samsung--cause the whole point of the Surface is that it'll be a pristine Win8 experience.
if you (well I really) wanted to use it so replace my laptop, I worry the hard disk hasn't got enough space - has anybody have any direct experience with the Gigabyte slate S1082? So far I've only found what amounts to sales adverts...
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 06:22 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I definitely see a Surface Pro in my future. I'm interested to know what the battery life will be - although I'm not personally bothered if it's only comparable to a traditional laptop, since a laptop replacement is what I'll be using it as.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-12-2013, 06:50 AM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post

if you (well I really) wanted to use it so replace my laptop, I worry the hard disk hasn't got enough space
Yeah, the 64GB sounds a bit tight. But I do remember the days of 20GB HDs (to say nothing of 20MB Hard Drives) and I think it can work fine. But with 128GB for another US$100, I suspect most buyers will just bite the bullet. That really should suffice for anything that doesn't involve massive HD video collections. And external USB3 drives can fill in that gap.

Full USB3 host has its uses.

What caught my eye is the idea that the Surface Pro can drive external displays at higher-than-fullHD resolution.

Last edited by fjtorres; 01-12-2013 at 06:52 AM.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:48 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
What caught my eye is the idea that the Surface Pro can drive external displays at higher-than-fullHD resolution.
Yes, as a portable device for giving things like PowerPoint presentations (very important for business use) it should excel (no pun intended ).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:11 AM   #8
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post

if you (well I really) wanted to use it so replace my laptop, I worry the hard disk hasn't got enough space - has anybody have any direct experience with the Gigabyte slate S1082? So far I've only found what amounts to sales adverts...
It's all about the Cloud, man. Get with the program!

Seriously, I would not worry about space. A pocket full of micro thumb drives will serve you well. Kingston is about to release a 1t drive. How many USB ports does your Pro have?

I have been getting the Kingston 16g thumb drives for around $8. Imagine that? That's StarWars or Harry Potter or 1/4 of my music library. I look at my racks of DVDs and CDs (I got the racks when blockbuster folded) then the thumb drives and just smile.

And I use them just like that -- work, music, movies, taxes, etc. It's actually a really good idea to disconnect sensitive data from your computer when it is not being used. No one can read a thumb drive that's in a desk drawer.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:36 AM   #9
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I didn't think it would have any Samsung specific bloatware, but that's a good point. I'll have to read up on that.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #10
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I definitely see a Surface Pro in my future. I'm interested to know what the battery life will be - although I'm not personally bothered if it's only comparable to a traditional laptop, since a laptop replacement is what I'll be using it as.
I personally could not live with a limited battery life - I've been spoiled for too long (since the iPad 1) to accept 2-3 hours .... could maybe live with 6-7.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #11
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I personally could not live with a limited battery life - I've been spoiled for too long (since the iPad 1) to accept 2-3 hours .... could maybe live with 6-7.
Here you go...
(from http://www.legitreviews.com/article/2119/1/)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intel
Battery life is always of concern to everyone, so Intel spoke about "All Day Battery Life" with the new 4th Generation Core CPU (codenamed Haswell). This CPU will offer the largest battery life increase in the history of Intel. This is fantastic news, to help keep you wireless and away from power sources. Intel did show off a reference design that will offer up to 13 hours of battery life as a full system, and 10 hours as a tablet.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #12
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
(to say nothing of 20MB Hard Drives)
I do remember those days, still have a laptop with 20MB hard drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
It's all about the Cloud, man. Get with the program!

Seriously, I would not worry about space. ...
Quote:
But with 128GB for another US$100, I suspect most buyers will just bite the bullet. That really should suffice for anything that doesn't involve massive HD video collections. And external USB3 drives can fill in that gap.

Full USB3 host has its uses.
I am not worried about "user files" much, but about programmes - I'd be using it for work, and I have plenty of statistical packages and the like that take up a lot of space with installation - I presume they cannot be installed on an external drive, right? (please don't shoot )
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #13
wizwor
Wizard

Generally, I would say they could, but you'd need to check the manuals.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #14
xendula
eBookworm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Sounds good!! I can definitely live with 10/13 hours!
Old 01-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #15
Spectrum
Zealot
Spectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enoughSpectrum will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad 1 and iPad 4, KF HD 8.9"
I will be getting one when it is released at the end of this month as I am told.
Spectrum is offline   Reply With Quote