Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-23-2013, 07:15 AM   #61
cappsie
cappsie began at the beginning.

Device: K4
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Yes.
The e-ink display is a meta-stable device.
It only uses power when being redrawn.
Hi,

Well here we are, the afternoon after. The battery has been disconnected and sadly the diag screen is still there.

Thoughts? Is it now truly bricked?

A.
cappsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #62
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappsie View Post
Hi,

Well here we are, the afternoon after. The battery has been disconnected and sadly the diag screen is still there.

Thoughts? Is it now truly bricked?

A.
Hook the battery back up and give it a try to find out.
The display is not going to change until the system writes to it.

The removing the battery and letting everything discharge in the electronics was to be certain the machine did a "cold" re-boot.
Not to cause the screen display to change while the battery was removed.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2013, 01:35 PM   #63
cappsie

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Hook the battery back up and give it a try to find out.
The display is not going to change until the system writes to it.

The removing the battery and letting everything discharge in the electronics was to be certain the machine did a "cold" re-boot.
Not to cause the screen display to change while the battery was removed.
Hi,

Ok Battery reconnected. Tried to power it on/off whichever - sadly no luck. Any pointers on powering it on? I tried with the case off - not sure if there is a mini-switch to tell the kindle the back is on...?

Welcome any thoughts :-)
A.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:04 PM   #64
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Either the battery is completely dead, or the Kindle itself is now spare parts.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:08 PM   #65
cappsie

I don't think the battery would have gone dead so quickly... This is not looking good. I thought Kubrick would have worked. Is it possible that Kubrick flash the Kindle with the wrong software?

A.
Advert
Old 08-05-2013, 03:18 AM   #66
cappsie

Oh dear

Hi again,

In the attached image you can see the problem. I have tried leaving the battery lead off, but alas, to no avail. It is stuck on this screen and nothing works at all.

I suspect it is now just spare parts

A.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2258 (Large).JPG
Views:	197
Size:	321.7 KB
ID:	108935  

Last edited by cappsie; 08-05-2013 at 05:05 AM.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:07 AM   #67
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Hi again,

In the attached image you can see the problem. I have tried leaving the battery lead off, but alas, to no avail. It is stuck on this screen and nothing works at all.

A.
For some releases of the diag. firmware, the "Exit" function only works over the serial console port.

(That diag. menu is also being written to the serial console port.)
Old 08-05-2013, 05:14 AM   #68
cappsie

Ok so is it worth re-trying plugging it in? Perhaps it's in a loop or something?

A.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:23 AM   #69
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Ok so is it worth re-trying plugging it in? Perhaps it's in a loop or something?

A.
Charging might still work.
At least I guess that is what you meant by "plugging it in".
Try it.

That might be "normal" operation for your version of the diagnostics firmware.

Ah,
Did you try the menu entry that is shown highlighted?

If you did, then did it show up as USB storage when you plugged it into your PC?

If it did, was their an "ENABLE_DIAGS" file in the root of USB storage?

If there was, did you try to delete it, eject the storage, unplug the cable and re-boot the Kindle? (verrrry loooong press on power button).
Old 08-05-2013, 05:27 AM   #70
cappsie

I will try it later for sure. How long is "verrrry loooong" - ten minutes? or perhaps two minutes

The last time I tried, there was no life; however, I've tried fiddling with the battery. If nothing happens when I plug it back in, what are my options?

A.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:36 AM   #71
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
I will try it later for sure. How long is "verrrry loooong" - ten minutes? or perhaps two minutes

The last time I tried, there was no life; however, I've tried fiddling with the battery. If nothing happens when I plug it back in, what are my options?

A.
1) User manual says 20 seconds, try 30 seconds just to be sure.
2) E-Bay "For Parts or Not Working"
Old 08-05-2013, 06:00 AM   #72
cappsie

Haha ok I'll give it a try this evening. Failing that, eBay all the way *sigh*.

Thanks

A.
Old 08-05-2013, 07:30 PM   #73
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Hi again,

A.
Hi.

Press THE RIGHT HAND ARROW bit. (of the 4 way at the bottom)

See? It's saying that at the bottom... FW RIGHT to exit (Four Way Right to exit)

only that key press will exit the Diags.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #74
cappsie

Hi

That doesn't work. It's stuck on that screen

Any other ideas?

A.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #75
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Hmmmm "Doesn't work" in the sense that when you pressed it the screen didn't change?

This thread is titled "Kindle 4 NT: No SSH" - so do you have SSH access or not...
Because if you DO then that might not be a bad idea.

Are you saying the device is "Stuck" in debug mode.

At this point I think it more likely the screen is actually broken.
What happens when you Hold down the power for 20 seconds.

Does the screen flash? Do the lights change?

If the lights change and the screen does nothing I would guess that the screen(/screen controller) is actually toast.

EDIT: However I currently have a few kindle 3's that also fail to update the screen and I know those screens work.

Serial cable time.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote