Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-30-2012, 09:17 AM   #1
Snorkledorf
Blue. Not sad...just blue
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ridibooks Paper Pro
Japanese PRS-T1/G1 2.0 updater available

Sony Japan just released a software update for the PRS-T1 and PRS-G1 that takes you from 1.1.11230 to 2.0.00.15150 .

Here's the link: http://www.sony.jp/reader/update/index.html

Here's what it says:
  • Improves support for EPUB comics etc (don't ask me what "etc" refers to)
  • Adds the Japanese bookstore Kinokuniya to available WiFi bookstores (currently in Japan you can use Sony, Rakuten, and Kinokuniya but Kinokuniya didn't have a button on the Reader until now).
  • Other improvements to stability
Since I avoid Sony eBookTransfer on my Mac like the plague, they've nicely supplied standalone updater apps for Win & Mac. It installed without a hitch, but since I don't have any comic files, the only apparent differences I can immediately see are the additional store button and the new software version number itself...

(Kinokuniya is the button in the upper right. Apologies for the blurry image!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo on 2012-03-30 at 10.12 PM.jpg
Views:	823
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	84685  
Snorkledorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
nvande
nvande began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Is there any solution for install this Japanese firmware to an English base PRS-T1 device?
nvande is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2012, 09:07 PM   #3
Snorkledorf
Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Snorkledorf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have no idea. If it were indeed possible, I'd like to try the opposite and make mine English, since I read 99% English books on it anyway. The Japanese firmware only has a single font, which is a bit of a drawback.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:34 AM   #4
nvande
nvande began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorkledorf View Post
I have no idea. If it were indeed possible, I'd like to try the opposite and make mine English, since I read 99% English books on it anyway. The Japanese firmware only has a single font, which is a bit of a drawback.
Some guys out there made thread to manual add favourite font to PRS-T1, have you give it a try? Now I can read Vietnamese unicode font on my reader without root it, and may be even Japanese font if I try harder. Still love original reader program on PRS-T1, and wish my PRS-T1 also has Kanji dict like your device.

Last edited by nvande; 04-09-2012 at 09:39 AM.
nvande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
It also seems significantly more stable and somewhat faster with page turns. If I allowed a backup with the Reader software when connecting to the PC my notes and the page position in the book got lost. Do you know if this has been solved?
After that happened to me a couple of times I finally caught on and only connect it with Calibre, but I would like to use the Reader software as well.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-10-2012, 09:08 AM   #6
Snorkledorf

Unfortunately it seems that the v2 firmware borks the line spacing, at least for the non-DRM'ed Epubs that I've tried.

Here's a photo of my T1 on the left (with DecalGirl black skin) and my wife's on the right, running the old version. Same book, approximately same page.

Notice how loose the lines have become on the left-hand one. Can I have my 1.1.11230 back?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	t1.jpg
Views:	931
Size:	165.9 KB
ID:	85098  
Old 04-10-2012, 04:54 PM   #7
soseono
Connoisseur
soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.soseono can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle 4, Sony PRS-T1 (formerly PRS-500 & 505), iPad Air
Why is there no font selector, but just the size selector shown on the screen? Is that because of some custom css styling in the epub? If then, can you open the eBook in an editor (e.g. Sigil) and see what the line-height setting is in those particular paragraphs? If it's close to the double-spacing in the v2 firmware screenshot, maybe Sony is doing the right thing. If not, they're in trouble...

Quote:
Unfortunately it seems that the v2 firmware borks the line spacing, at least for the non-DRM'ed Epubs that I've tried.

Here's a photo of my T1 on the left (with DecalGirl black skin) and my wife's on the right, running the old version. Same book, approximately same page.

Notice how loose the lines have become on the left-hand one. Can I have my 1.1.11230 back?
soseono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 10:28 PM   #8
Snorkledorf

No, the Japanese T1 has no font selection ability, like I mentioned up in #3 of this thread (nor can you change the UI language at all). I'm assuming it's partially a drawback of having the relatively large Japanese font onboard, filling up the memory space that would be used for multiple tiny little roman fonts on a non-Japanese unit. One Japanese font can easily take up 3-10 MB.

I haven't checked what the CSS is telling that book to do, it's just an Amazon AZW converted to ePub by calibre, with everything set to the defaults.

A couple more amusing effects of the update:
  • Existing handwritten notes are now offset from the text they used to overlay, the text having effectively "squirted out" from under them due to the new line & character spacing. They're usually on the same page, just offset half a screen or something. New notes are aligned fine.
  • It seems to hyphenate a lot of words now, where it didn't before. You can see this on the screenshot.
  • The font display seems much lighter and wispy now. For the first time I find myself regularly going into the display options to bump the contrast and reduce the brightness to increase the clarity to a comfortable level.

The line spacing, character spacing, and aggressive hyphenating now make all my books noticeably more difficult to read. I'm honestly beginning to look at rooting the thing, just to see if other reader software options can display the text more readably.

Last edited by Snorkledorf; 04-10-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #9
Eric Muller
Connoisseur
Eric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolateEric Muller is generous with chocolate

Device: Opus
As can be seen from your photo, the default font has changed between the two versions. This could explain some of the differences, the linespacing in particular.

I'd be curious to know your impressions when that change is abstracted; would you mind trying with an EPUB that incorporates a font (e.g. Darwin's Journal of Researches, available at http://efele.net/ebooks/livres/000177/index.html; pick the "epub" version, not the "epub-").

As for the aggressive hyphenation: have you seen if there is a reading option to turn it off?

Thanks in advance,
Eric.
Eric Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #10
Snorkledorf

Good idea for the test. I opened both the "...font" and "...plain" versions of the epub and they look identical on the T1 with v2 software. Sigil displays the "...font" file with more tightly spaced lines, but that's not reflected here.

I guess this means that Sony is just ignoring the font settings?

As for the hyphenation, I haven't noticed any new options appearing in the menus.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fontplain.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	85218  
Old 04-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #11
komugi
Zealot
komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Surface Pro 3, HTC 10, Kobo Aura H2O
n/m
komugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:48 PM   #12
Rand Brittain
Bookmaker
Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rand Brittain ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus
Didn't the PRS-T1 standard reader app not support hyphenation at all last time I checked? Is that new?
Rand Brittain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:01 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Good idea for the test. I opened both the "...font" and "...plain" versions of the epub and they look identical on the T1 with v2 software. Sigil displays the "...font" file with more tightly spaced lines, but that's not reflected here.

I guess this means that Sony is just ignoring the font settings?

As for the hyphenation, I haven't noticed any new options appearing in the menus.
You could tighten the line spacing using line-height with a small size such as 1.04em.

line-height: 1.04em;
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 10:09 PM   #14
Snorkledorf

I'd never noticed if it used to hyphenate or not; the 1.x screenshot does show none at all. To my eye it's still way easier to read than the 2.x layout. At least the second set of screenshots of the Darwin book only has 2 hyphenated words, rather than the overboard 6-on-1-screen of the first set.

I'm now noticing that the Sony updater page now explicitly mentions two of the issues: that Epubs are going to look different due to a change in the font, and that handwritten notes are going to be in the wrong places. I don't know if that line was there before, but if so it needed to be emphasized a lot more than it is/was.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #15
Snorkledorf

JSWolf, thanks for that. Since the PRS-T1 had ignored the embedded font, I hadn't tried messing with the CSS directly yet. Adding a line-height: 1.17em; entry in Sigil seems to put it more or less at a similar vertical spacing as the 1.x firmware, at least for that book. Now I just have to manually edit each and every book I want to read...