Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-25-2011, 07:27 PM   #1
jennifer.jayne
jennifer.jayne began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
So Confused, Kindle or Kobo?

Hi everybody! I'm new here, and I'm debating whether or not to get a Kindle or a Kobo. These are basically my only two options. I'm not considering anything else. And I live in Canada.

I have heard from just about everyone that the Kindle is ultimately better. However, I want to be able to buy books from the sony store, kindle store and the kobo store. I want to make sure that if I do get a Kindle, is there a way to convert epub files after I buy them so that they are readable on my Kindle??

Also, wi-fi is a must for me. So I'm wondering if with the Kobo I can go on Facebook and other sites? Coles and Chapters are telling me I can't but I also heard from another source that you can. ALSO, with the Kindle 3, can I go on Facebook with their wi-fi?

Any help/experience/information would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Jennifer
jennifer.jayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:11 PM   #2
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
As a Canadian, it's not currently illegal* to buy books from whichever store you please and break and strip the DRM copy-restriction before converting it to whatever format works with your chosen reader.

The only real question is how comfortable you are with doing so, both ethically and in terms of computer tech savviness. It's easier than it used to be, but still might be a bit of a hurdle for some people.

Hope this helps, and welcome to MobileRead!

* Mind you, given our current Conservative government, this happy state is not likely to last much longer.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 08:13 PM   #3
monkeygirl351
Connoisseur
monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeygirl351 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, ipad, and kindle 3
I personally like the kindle as I have the kindle 3g. It is quick, small, has great battery life and also great customer service. I love the amazon store as well. I have played with one of the older kobos at a Borders and just didn't really like it although they have changed since then. I have used the web browser on the kindle in a pinch and it works well enough, although not as good as my ipad of course. I am pretty sure that it can go to sites like facebook.
As to purchasing books from other sites like the sony store ect, I do do that for my kindle. I use a free program called Calibre, which is a free ebook management program to organize all my books. It can also convert ebooks to all the various formats like epub, mobi, pdf, lit ect. The big thing with doing this is that in order to convert books from the different stores you have to remove the Drm. It isn't hard to do and a quick google search can show you how. The first thing I do when I purchase a book is remove the DRM. I have done this on Barnes and Noble, Smashwords, Amazon, ereader when it was around, Kobo, and the Sony Store. As soon as I remove the DRM, I convert the book to mobi and read on my kindle. This is cool, as I have taken advantage of kobo coupons and found books free on those sites that weren't free on Amazon.
Also, and I don't know how it works in Canada, I put library books on my kindle using the smae method. I remove the Drm, read the book, then delete from my computer and kindle. Now this might be in the shady part of DRM removal, as I could technically keep the book as by breaking the DRM I also remove the expiration on the book. I still abide by the rules, but I could see how that could be abused. Anyways, Kindle will be supporting library books later this year so that is like a nonpoint now.
I personally love my kindle, and find it a very flexible reader. Removing DRM opens up a lot of options on it, but this very thing would also open up the same options on the kobo as by again removing DRM, you wouldn't be tied to the Kobo store.
Hope you find the reader that fits you best,

Becky
monkeygirl351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:22 PM   #4
LucidDreams
Tech Reader
LucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader Pocket Edition PRS-350
Have you considered or heard about the new Nook that was just recently announced and will be available on June 10th? You also didn't state which Kobo you were considering since they just released a Touch version.

Kindle is a eco system like Apple devices which has it's good and bad points. But some of the newer eReaders just released give the Kindle a run for it's money. Unless you mainly plan to use Amazon for your book purchases.

To convert files to various eReader formats you can use Calibre - it's free. But with purchased books you'll need to remove the DRM before you convert to Calibre, which is a whole other ordeal.

Kobo eReaders typically support reading-centric only features. But the new Touch version ups the bar. From what I've read - neither the Kobo or Kobo Touch have a web browser.

The Kindle 3 has a web browser but you might have problems with some websites. But you can use a website like Kinstant which will give you a jump page of sorts to mobile versions of websites you want to visit like facebook. Just don't expect the same browsing experience as with a PC since you'll have to use mobile versions of some websites. Facebook -> touch.facebook.com or m.facebook.com will give you an idea as to what your Facebook browsing experience will look like.
LucidDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:18 PM   #5
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Check out the new Kobo and Nook with touch screens. It's an exciting time to be shopping for a new e-reader. From what I've seen (which isn't much), the Nook looks to be the best of the 3 (incl. Kindle). I don't know if it has a dictionary and browser though.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2011, 10:10 AM   #6
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
As far as how difficult removing DRM and converting books from one format to another is going to be, you can try it out now. You don't need a reader to do it. Download some free books from various stores (they all have free books!), get the necessary software and Tools, and try it out. If you can open a book in Calibre's book viewer, you've done it successfully.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:00 AM   #7
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
As far as I know, the only mainstream eink readers that let you use WiFi for anything other than buying from the integrated store and using the built in social features are the Kindle and the old nook classic. If being able to hit other Internet resources from your reader is important to you, your search can stop there.
If you're comfortable stripping DRM, then sources and formats are a non issues.
If not, then decide if the Amazon store, plus all the non-DRM sources meet your needs. If they don't and you want access to the various DRMed ePub sources, go with a non-kindle.

For me, the Internet features, including the ability to side load books over the net made the Kindle 3G an easy choice, and there is still nothing I would choose over it as my primary reader.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #8
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer.jayne View Post
Hi everybody! I'm new here, and I'm debating whether or not to get a Kindle or a Kobo. These are basically my only two options. I'm not considering anything else. And I live in Canada.

I have heard from just about everyone that the Kindle is ultimately better. However, I want to be able to buy books from the sony store, kindle store and the kobo store. I want to make sure that if I do get a Kindle, is there a way to convert epub files after I buy them so that they are readable on my Kindle??

Also, wi-fi is a must for me. So I'm wondering if with the Kobo I can go on Facebook and other sites? Coles and Chapters are telling me I can't but I also heard from another source that you can. ALSO, with the Kindle 3, can I go on Facebook with their wi-fi?

Any help/experience/information would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Jennifer
Couple of things ...

I do not recommend you using a browser on any eink device, regardless of the brand. The Internet experience is really poor. My Kindle 3 has browsing capabilities but I barely use it, mainly for buying books or browse forums (mobile versions) But yes, I believe you can browse Facebook (I have not, from my Kindle, not sure how it looks like or navigate though)

Regarding the brand, you should check the main bookstores for each device. The ereader is just a tool. If you buy books mainly from Sony but got a Kindle, you will end converting all the time and breaking DRM protection (depending of the format and store) which can be illegal or problematic, depending of your computer skills and country.

Now, Sony and Kindle are true International Devices. Means, you should get customer support (or a better one) if something goes wrong.

My suggestion:
Check 5 to 10 titles on each bookstore, compare prices, and see which one provides a better deal for you. The company or device which supports that store, should be the 1st one on your list. On my personal case, that is or was Kindle and the reason why I sold my 1st gen Nook: yes, I had epub, lending from public libraries (at that time) that I never use, so the device was not useful at all for me.

Hope that helps,
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:51 AM   #9
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Check out the new Kobo and Nook with touch screens. It's an exciting time to be shopping for a new e-reader. From what I've seen (which isn't much), the Nook looks to be the best of the 3 (incl. Kindle). I don't know if it has a dictionary and browser though.
She lives in Canada I think. B&N does not provide support there, as far as I know. A major issue with the device could be a problem and/or incur on additional shipping costs that the user probably will have to pay from own pocket. Plus you will have to trick the system for 1st time shipping and registering the device. A USA address is needed. Granted, most people find friends or ways to circumvent that, but it is kind of annoying.

Sony or Kindle sound like a better alternative ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:56 AM   #10
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
If you want to load stuff right off thebbox and not fiddle with drm, your best bet would be an iPad or other tablet.

Personally, I have used both devices and once you have the purchasing and drm removal taken care of, the experience with reading is nearly identical. The kindle is a little faster to use, allows organization of books into collections and has multi-language dictionary support and text to speech. I use those features so they are important to me. But if you don't use them, you can read just as well on the kobo.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 12:58 PM   #11
mcrow24
Connoisseur
mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.mcrow24 turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle,Augen "The book", Nook
Both devices are perfectly suited for reading eBooks. I would say go with the one with the store you like the best and which eReaders secondary features works best for you. The kobo touch probably is a better piece of technology that the kindle for the same price. However, the Kindle is an established and reliable unit and the kobo is still new. The Kobo reader will be less hastle if you want to buy from multiple sites and don't want to strip DRM.
mcrow24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:01 PM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidDreams View Post
Have you considered or heard about the new Nook that was just recently announced and will be available on June 10th?
The original poster specifically states that they live in Canada. I am a little puzzled why you would suggest that they consider a reader that is only sold in the United States?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:10 PM   #13
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Well which is more important to you:

1) being able to buy absolutely any book what so ever - Kindle or
2) Simplicity - Kobo

Let's face it amazon has everything but the Kobo is simpler to use.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:11 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Well which is more important to you:

1) being able to buy absolutely any book what so ever - Kindle or
2) Simplicity - Kobo

Let's face it amazon has everything but the Kobo is simpler to use.
Amazon does not "have everything"; that's an extremely misleading statement to make.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:03 AM   #15
LucidDreams
Tech Reader
LucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader Pocket Edition PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The original poster specifically states that they live in Canada. I am a little puzzled why you would suggest that they consider a reader that is only sold in the United States?
Because one will be able to purchase it online (ebay, etc.) regardless of which country they're located. The Nook Touch supports ePub with DRM so you're not locked into using the B&N bookstore. This would be another story if the Nook was like the Kindle and forced you to use their eco system store (if you don't strip DRMs and convert book files).

The main reason for recommending the Nook Touch over others is that it seems to have all the right features at the right price. If the Kindle had a touch screen then I would recommend that device. I own a Sony PRS-350 and can say that the touch screen makes the reading experience better. Nothing like just touching a word and getting the definition. With the Kindle I would have to use the cursor and navigate it to the word I wanted the definition. The best analogy would be using a keyboard to move the cursor on a PC screen vs. using the mouse. While it can be done and it works, it's just more of a painful experience.
LucidDreams is offline   Reply With Quote