Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-06-2011, 04:59 PM   #1
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
New Bookish site - collaboration of 3 major publishers

http://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/b...book-site.html

Quote:
Lemgruber said the main goal of Bookish is to make recommendations about books that will appeal to a reader's particular taste. He compared the site to things like IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes that mix information about movies with reviews and news. Editorial will include breaking news, author interviews, excerpts, reviews and other marketing materials that publishers feel will help readers pick a book, Lemgruber said. Although backed by Penguin, S&S and Hachette, Lemgruber stressed that Bookish will be editorially independent, covering books from all publishers (excluding vanity presses).
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 05:31 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks for the link! I signed up.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2011, 07:18 PM   #3
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3
Are we right to assume that this site is a marketing mechanism to sell books released through the three companies involved in the site's creation? I expect it is, more of the same it seems to me.
Giggleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 07:24 PM   #4
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
I don't know, are we??? Didn't know you were royalty... using the Royal "we" is a bit presumptuous otherwise... Personally, I'll go and take a look which should answer the question... you could try that also!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
Are we right to assume that this site is a marketing mechanism to sell books released through the three companies involved in the site's creation? I expect it is, more of the same it seems to me.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:42 PM   #5
Giggleton
Banned
Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Giggleton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well the site isn't live yet, but they do have a checkbox for if you are an author. I'm using the inner collective we.
Advert
Old 05-06-2011, 09:52 PM   #6
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Do I want to belong to a social networking site like goodreads, which is publisher agnostic, and includes out of print books, indie-presses and self-published books, or do I want to join one run by publishers and appears to have the goal of steering me to in-print books from major publishers? Since they're also planning to sell books directly, it sounds like it's meant to be a direct attack on Amazon and its self-publishing business (and to a lesser extent, B&N and its self-publishing business).

Last edited by bgalbrecht; 05-06-2011 at 10:01 PM.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:55 PM   #7
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Palma, Kdle Scribe & Paperwhite, Kobo Eclipsa 2e & Libra 2, Ipads
One of those remarking asked a good question.

"Although backed by Penguin, S&S and Hachette, Lemgruber stressed that Bookish will be editorially independent, covering books from all publishers (excluding vanity presses)."

Just what do they consider 'vanity presses'? If I want a site that reports on books, I'd want the indie books from as many sites as possible in there as well. Not just ones from the main publishers.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:08 PM   #8
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post

Just what do they consider 'vanity presses'? If I want a site that reports on books, I'd want the indie books from as many sites as possible in there as well. Not just ones from the main publishers.
I presume they are referring to the presses that you can just pay to print and bind whatever you submit to them. I'm guessing it would be rather difficult to include self published works into whatever formula they're using.

Frankly I'm not sure how the site would be any more reliable than the "customers also bought" sections found on many online retail sites.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:33 PM   #9
Giggleton
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgalbrecht View Post
Do I want to belong to a social networking site like goodreads, which is publisher agnostic, and includes out of print books, indie-presses and self-published books, or do I want to join one run by publishers and appears to have the goal of steering me to in-print books from major publishers? Since they're also planning to sell books directly, it sounds like it's meant to be a direct attack on Amazon and its self-publishing business (and to a lesser extent, B&N and its self-publishing business).
We are liking goodreads ATM.

"I" would be wary of any site backed by big pub. Unless there are methods for little pubs to gain "administrative" privileges.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:02 PM   #10
Frida Fantastic
SF/F book blogger
Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frida Fantastic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggleton View Post
We are liking goodreads ATM.
Agreed. Yawn. Not innovative at all. I'm pretty happy with purchasing stuff from Smashwords/Amazon/etc. and getting my relevant reads through the user and reader-powered ecosystem of Goodreads and book blogs. That ecosystem could be more refined and streamlined, but I like knowing that books aren't arbitrarily blocked off just because of the business model the authors chose.
Frida Fantastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 01:26 AM   #11
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
i am also a big fan of goodreads

as i understand, GR has currently acquired discovereads to bring book recommendations to GR as well. correct me if i'm wrong.

Last edited by wyndslash; 05-07-2011 at 02:17 AM.
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #12
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskyRose View Post
I suspect they will consider any ebooks published directly at Amazon, B&N, and Smashwords to be vanity presses.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:39 AM   #13
Giggleton
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post

as i understand, GR has currently acquired discovereads to bring book recommendations to GR as well. correct me if i'm wrong.
Ok, book recommendations based on a mathematical algorithm are never as good as book recommendations from a friend, or even a goodreads friend.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:09 PM   #14
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyndslash View Post

The acquisition of discovereads was noted over a month ago but I've seen nothing of it yet on Goodreads. Hopefully they will have it implemented soon. I don't know the hang-up unless they are trying to integrate it into the Goodreads database which could be a real chore.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:00 AM   #15
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
This is certainly worth keeping tabs on. Takes all of ten seconds to register for updates and a notice when the site goes live. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote