Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-16-2009, 07:47 PM   #61
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I just spent an hour or so playing with my DX. It will work perfectly for my needs. Since I own a copy of Adobe Acrobat Pro, I can make all of the PDF documents I have searchable.

Also, since all of my client files are listed by client number and last name, it's pretty easy to find the file I need.

All my highlighting and notes, and even my photos for certain files, display clearly enough for me to read and study. I think my only complaint would be that it would be nice to be able to edit what a bookmark is called in a PDF document (so that, rather than "page 17" I could note that it is the "complaint" or my notes, or information such as that.

I haven't tried some of the other features that might making working with PDF a little easier on the DX, but on the whole, I like it and I'm keeping mine.

RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 07:52 PM   #62
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshanti4la View Post
Hello friends:

Thank you so much for these interesting comments. Pls, can anyone add a bit more commentary on a comparison of the Kindle DX and a BeBook/Hanlin v 3?

I'm still so undecided on which e-reader will work best for my needs, which are the ability to read PDFs and, one hopes, the ability to highlight or make comments on the text. I'm a PhD student (yeah, this is what the failing economy does to some people) and am simply swimming in PDF material. The Hanlin looks interesting but it's size is a bit small, yes? And I live outside of the US, so Kindle support would be iffy at best, don't you think?

Any comments on the software, Stanza, which is reported to reconfigure and load PDF books to Kindle 2s without the assistance of the Amazon middleman?

Again, thank you for such a helpful forum.

Linda
It doesn't appear that you can make comments or highlights on PDF materials on the DX. However, materials in PDF that I have highlighted on my computer do appear with highlighting and typed comments (not hidden comments) intact.

So, while you might have to do the initial read through and highlighting on the computer, the DX would be an ideal reader to take somewhere with you to study the things you have already highlighted.

I'm going to be giving this thing a few torture tests to see exactly what it will and will not do, but I see it as working extremely well for my particular needs. However, I am an attorney and not a student, and you may need to take additional notes on the fly. For me, that's what my netbook is for. I have simply found that trying to read on a backlit screen for long periods kills my elderly eyes.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:03 PM   #63
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
There are some deficiencies but most are software related in regards to PDF support. Not having the ability to annotate, go to a page number, support of links within the PDF, dictionary support, the metadata is awful, etc. I'd also really like to have a zoom function for PDFs.
You can go to a page number.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:28 PM   #64
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
You can go to a page number.
I'd only tried it on one PDF and the "Go to page" function didn't work. I typed in go to page 20 and it went page 83. To get to page 20 I needed to type in page 2 and then press next page a couple of times. So I figured it was working on percentages or something. Do all PDFs work correctly for you Bruce?
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:43 PM   #65
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'd only tried it on one PDF and the "Go to page" function didn't work. I typed in go to page 20 and it went page 83. To get to page 20 I needed to type in page 2 and then press next page a couple of times. So I figured it was working on percentages or something. Do all PDFs work correctly for you Bruce?
It works for me so far although I haven't tested all my PDFs. Are you using Menu - Go to page, or just typing in the number? The latter would do a search.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:55 PM   #66
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I'm using Menu - Go to page. I did a little testing and it works for my other PDFs, which each have less than 150 pages. The one it fails on has over 500 pages. I'm going to try loading some other large PDFs to see if this is the factor, or if it is just this one particular PDF.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:32 PM   #67
sirbruce
Provocateur

I don't think I have any 500 pages! But please let us know.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:45 PM   #68
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!

Quote:
I'm using Menu - Go to page. I did a little testing and it works for my other PDFs, which each have less than 150 pages. The one it fails on has over 500 pages. I'm going to try loading some other large PDFs to see if this is the factor, or if it is just this one particular PDF.
I'm not certain that will work very well for me. Several of my client documents (which consist of several sub-documents) are well into the thousands of pages.

That's why I was admittedly disappointed to see that the Adobe bookmarks don't translate or transfer over to the DX.

I may try putting some "invisible" but searchable codes in the documents and see if that doesn't solve the problem for me. It will be interesting to see if a document running to 3,000 pages will be able to find a code in all that text in a reasonable amount of time.

Sigh ..... Amazon really should have implemented the Acrobat functions a bit better in the DX. Too much to ask, I suppose.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:57 PM   #69
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I don't think I have any 500 pages! But please let us know.
Here is a link to 15.41 MB, 2000 pages long technical spec:
MPC8572E PowerQUICC™ III Integrated Host Processor Family Reference Manual

I would be very grateful if you can try that document and how it works on Kindle DX, especially figures (lke one on page 290).

TIA
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 10:40 PM   #70
sirbruce
Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
I would be very grateful if you can try that document and how it works on Kindle DX, especially figures (lke one on page 290).
Works fine for me. Going to page numbers all the way up to the end worked. Text is fine but perhaps a tad small. The page you cited displays fine, although since it's sideways if you try to view it in landscape mode the orientation is wrong and of course you can only see half of it per screen. But here's what it looks like normally:

(That's a screenshot; actual Kindle DX background is light grey, not white.)

Last edited by sirbruce; 06-16-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:48 PM   #71
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you very much, sirbruce.

MR, unfortunately, shrunk your screenshot... If I can trouble you for one additional thing: was the text in the boxes readable (however barely) on that picture?
Old 06-16-2009, 11:17 PM   #72
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Keep in mind it goes to page number for the KINDLE not for the document. So if the document has 20 pages of introduction and table of contents if you press 40 you're going to end up on page '20' as the document sees it, and page 40 as the Kindle does.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:46 PM   #73
sirbruce
Provocateur

Sorry, imageshack resized it. My mistake. Reload and look again!

Yes, it's readable, though it is small.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:50 PM   #74
sirbruce
Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
Keep in mind it goes to page number for the KINDLE not for the document. So if the document has 20 pages of introduction and table of contents if you press 40 you're going to end up on page '20' as the document sees it, and page 40 as the Kindle does.
Ahh yes, good point. Yes, if the Introduction is enumerated like "iv" then yeah, it will count those as pages, so the first PDF enumerated page "1" might be page "7" on the Kindle DX. But each Kindle DX PDF page is otherwise equal to a regular PDF page.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:52 PM   #75
Ankh
Guru

Quote:
Yes, it's readable, though it is small.
Wow! This definitely qualifies DX as "business-worthy".