Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-21-2006, 04:31 PM   #1
Fugubot
Connoisseur
Fugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watch

Device: Sony Reader
Sticky Needed re: Format

Can a Sticky thread be created to post the optimal ebook format standards (page size, fonts, etc) for the Sony Reader. There are many separate threads but it looks like there's probably an early consensus that's emerging. Any new member of this forum will be interested in how to convert their texts to a reader compatible format.

Thanks.
Fugubot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 05:00 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I just now added a section in the (Sony Reader section of the) Wiki for Formatting Best Known Methods (BKMs) -- to be adjusted and expanded as needed, of course.

Last edited by NatCh; 11-21-2006 at 05:06 PM.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:21 PM   #3
airlik
Connoisseur
airlik began at the beginning.

Sounds good... where should we post comments for modifications? I personally found the "suggested" font sizes too large... they look fine on "small", but grossly large on "medium" and "large" - shouldn't they look medium on medium? Perhaps that's just a personal preference, since "small" is the default display size that "small" show something very legible for my 80-year-old dad

Through experiment, I felt that about 2pts below what most people suggested was quite a good compromise between words per page and text size. Yes, it would be nice to read in 10cm fonts across my wall, but every medium has it's "best ratio"... which I guess varies with each person - so just my perspective...

Last edited by airlik; 11-21-2006 at 08:32 PM.
airlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 08:38 PM   #4
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I think the font size might be a debatable subject. Most people seem to agree with the 16-18pt sizes so far from what I've heard. (My own preference is 18pt, but I probably like it a little bigger than most, so I can understand why some others would prefer 14-16.) At any rate, you could put your thoughts on that in the wiki discussion for that page.

I haven't used wiki's enough to know what happens if there is a disagreement and people start to fight back and forth on a number like that on a wiki, but obviously it would be childish to degrade into that.

As far as other obvious changes and additions, though, feel free to go right in to edit the page and improve it!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:15 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I was trying to aim for what seemed to be the consensus, I won't be insulted if it needs adjusting.
Old 11-22-2006, 02:04 AM   #6
Fugubot
Connoisseur
Fugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watchFugubot is clearly one to watch

Thanks!

The wiki is perfect Maybe the link to it could be the sticky. I had no idea it existed.

Thanks.
Fugubot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 10:53 AM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist

There's a link to the Wiki waaaay up in the right hand corner of each page (I didn't notice it until Bob Russell pointed it out to me ). Alex mentioned yesterday that he was going to think about ways to integrate the Wiki more visibly with the forum, and judging from how awsome the forum is, I imagine that something good will pop up before long.
Old 11-22-2006, 11:09 AM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh
...I imagine that something good will pop up before long.
Absolutely! Right now we are focusing on a redesign; afterwards we'll upgrade a few software components that will include a tighter integration of the Wiki and the Forum.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote