Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 01-09-2009, 01:02 AM   #46
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I'm embarrassed to ask, but how do I get Caritas' Reflow to work. And how can I validate that it works.
=X=
Did you get Caritas' reflow working yet? Was it easier than you thought?
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:01 AM   #47
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Did you get Caritas' reflow working yet? Was it easier than you thought?
Yes thank you Nick it was very easy... once you pointed it out. I even tested changing the resolution to 480x300 for my phone. It worked great.
=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:07 PM   #48
wiffel
wiffel is on a distinguished road

Device: bebook
First of all ... Thanks for this wonderful application. I've used it many times now. And it works great. I use it for most of the technical papers I need to read for work.

As Ulysses posted before, it does crash sometimes. For me, that happens most of the time with very big documents. (I do use PaperCrop regularly on documents with 500 or more pages) PaperCrop seems to keep everything in memory before creating the PDF output. It basically runs out of memory before it can finish. I didn't have the time to look at the source code yet, but it could be an idea to store the page images while processing and get them from disk while producing the PDF?

Since the conversion of such big PDF books results in PDF books with 1000 pages or more, this also becomes a problem for me and my poor BeBook with its limited memory.

To be able to split these big books into multiple smaller ones, I altered the 'config.lua' file. (which - if everything went fine - should be attached) to make PaperCrop output a new PDF after every 100 pages. You can change this number at the top of the file in the line that reads
Code:
nr_of_pages_per_pdf_book = 100;
For me it fixes the big PDF books, and it didn't crash on me anymore since I'm using this 'config.lua'.

Maybe it can help you too Ulysses ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taesoo Kwon View Post
I hope the problem will disappear after downloading the version 0.3.
If it continues to crash, please send me the PDF file to me by e-mail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses
Very good idea but it crashes all the time, maybe an option to start from a certain page would be good "work around" so we can continue where we stopped..
Attached Files
File Type: zip config.zip (1.4 KB, 926 views)

Last edited by wiffel; 01-17-2009 at 11:09 PM.
wiffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:47 PM   #49
wiffel

If anybody is interested ...

I did implement what I proposed in my previous post. (Save the images and load them later to create the PDF file(s) ). This makes the usage of memory for the conversion of large files a lot less.

The config.lua to do this is attached.

PS: Taesoo Kwon
While implementing this, I did add the LUA collectgarbage a couple of times to make sure that images are garbage collected. I noticed that I did have a lot of crashes while generating the PDF. This makes me think that the PDF structure (used by outpdf:addPage(image)) does not keep a reference to the images that have been added. That could account for the 'random' crashes. Just to be sure, I did add a little list that keeps a reference to the images until the PDF has been created. That way they can not be garbage collected by LUA. That seemed to fix the crashes for me.
Attached Files
File Type: zip config.zip (1.7 KB, 930 views)
Old 01-21-2009, 11:44 AM   #50
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great idea thank you. My BB Storm also has a heck of a time loading large PDF.

I tried to run your script and got this error.

"lua error config.lua 86: attempt to compare nil with number"

=X=
Old 01-22-2009, 07:40 AM   #51
wiffel

Hi =X=,

Did you cut-copy-paste part of the code into your config.lua? My latest version does not have any code on line 86 (except for the END statement). So, it's hard for me to see what is going wrong.

Wiffel
Old 01-22-2009, 01:25 PM   #52
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiffel View Post
Hi =X=,

Did you cut-copy-paste part of the code into your config.lua? My latest version does not have any code on line 86 (except for the END statement). So, it's hard for me to see what is going wrong.

Wiffel
Sorry my mistake. I added 5 lines different line sized since I have multiple reading devices. They where commented out however.

I've re-ran the tool with your unmodified config.lua
The problem code is line 81. Color is red.
Msg:
Code:
"lua error config.lua:81:attempting to compare nil with a number"
=X=

Here is the error

Code:
function outputImage(image, outdir, pageNo, rectNo)

if output_to_pdf then ----if output_to_pdf and outpdf:isValid() then
		--vv--outpdf:addPage(image)
    if (book_pages.nr_of_pages < nr_of_pages_per_pdf_book) then
      book_pages:add_page(image, outdir);
    else
      book_pages:writeToFile(outdir);
      book_pages:init_for_next_part();
    end
    --^^--
	else
		image:Save(string.format("%s/%05d_%03d%s",outdir,pageNo,rectNo,output_format))
	end
end
Old 01-22-2009, 06:12 PM   #53
wiffel

=X=,

Sure that you still have a line like
somewhere ?

If that is the case, it can't hurt to put a line like
book_pages:init(1);
just before the line
function outputImage(image, outdir, pageNo, rectNo)

Anyway it's strange. The file works fine for me.

Good luck,

Wilfried
Old 01-23-2009, 10:50 AM   #54
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Hi,

I converted a two-columns pdf book of 144 pages (that is really a 288 pages book) using papercrop. It went up from one meg to 18 megs.

On Linux, I used imagemagick to batch reduce the size of the images by 50"percent to get about a 6 or 7 megs file but divided in 144 numbered fragments. I declared it to be a png file and it processed the whole lot.-mogrify -resize 50% *.jpg-

After that, grouping all this in a zip file and converting to lrf with comic2lrf. This is a lot of work, on two platforms...but the result is readable and not too heavy.
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:00 PM   #55
Taesoo Kwon
Enthusiast
Taesoo Kwon doesn't litterTaesoo Kwon doesn't litter

Device: Kobo wifi
Quote:
While implementing this, I did add the LUA collectgarbage a couple of times to make sure that images are garbage collected. I noticed that I did have a lot of crashes while generating the PDF. This makes me think that the PDF structure (used by outpdf:addPage(image)) does not keep a reference to the images that have been added. That could account for the 'random' crashes. Just to be sure, I did add a little list that keeps a reference to the images until the PDF has been created. That way they can not be garbage collected by LUA. That seemed to fix the crashes for me.
Actually, I haven't tested the pdf output functionality of paper crop intensively, because my ebook device doesn't support PDF files. I downloaded your config.lua and it seems to work very well for me.
Thank you.
By the way, if you want, I can make you (or anybody who whats) as a member of the googlecode project page, so that you can update the source codes/binary directly, or upload your versions of papercrop binary there so that people can choose which version to use. (whenever I update a version, it seems that a new bug is always introduced..)

P.S. As far as I understand the libharu library and my PDFWriter class, outpdf:addPage doesn't keep a pointer to the image, and you can discard the image as soon as you call the addPage funtion. But I cannot figure out why such kind of problem happened.
Taesoo Kwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:34 PM   #56
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Yes I do have the that line.

Quote:
book_pages:init(1);
Adding this line did the trick

Thank you
=X=
Old 01-23-2009, 05:16 PM   #57
mazzeltjes
Addict
mazzeltjes doesn't littermazzeltjes doesn't litter

Device: sony 505
Hi

Nice little program
I'm having a problem with the bottom two lines repeating on
the following page
Any ideas what causes this?
And how do I change font size?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00000_001.gif
Views:	953
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	21964   Click image for larger version

Name:	00000_002.gif
Views:	952
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	21965  
mazzeltjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 06:01 PM   #58
mazzeltjes
Addict

Oke I changed the scroll overlap to: 0

scroll_overlap_pixels=0

and that got rid of most of the problem
the only thing is that the top quarter of
the letters on the following page are at the
bottom of the previous one.
this progresses through the document
so that after a few pages the letters are cut in half
is there a way to fix this
like give the scroll overlap a - value ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00000_001.gif
Views:	915
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	21967   Click image for larger version

Name:	00000_002.gif
Views:	906
Size:	1.8 KB
ID:	21968  

Last edited by mazzeltjes; 01-23-2009 at 06:44 PM.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:10 PM   #59
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazzeltjes View Post
the only thing is that the top quarter of
the letters on the following page are at the
bottom of the previous one.
this progresses through the document
so that after a few pages the letters are cut in half
is there a way to fix this
It would be great if this problem can be fixed but, for now, I am using Papercrop and PDFLRF to avoid this problem. I do the following.

1. Convert each page into one long image
1a. First, need to edit 'config.lua' to increase 'device_height' option. You need to do this only once. For example, I use the following.
Code:
device_width=700
device_height=30000
scroll_overlap_pixels=0
1b. Load a PDF file
1c. Press "Process current page" in each page

2. Archive all images into one ZIP file

3. Process by PDFLRF using Portrait or Comic-Portrait with Smart-cut option on. I use a simple batch file such as
Code:
pdflrf --erode=2 --nocrop -rs -c 8 --rotation="0" --pad=10 --overlap=0 -i %1 -o "%~n1.lrf" -t %2 -a %3
Note that I am using a DOS version of PDFLRF instead of windows version to avoid changing the option each time, but you can also use PDFLRFwin with proper option.

If this batch file is named as 'plb.bat', then you can use the following command to convert the zip file from step 2.
Code:
plb 'filename.zip' 'Title of the book' 'Author of the book'
As you can see, this may work with rather short PDF (e.g. journal articles) but probably too labor-intensive for longer books (step 1c).
It is too bad that PDFLRF is not open-sourced. If it were, smart crop algorithm could have been incorporated in programs like PaperCrop rather easily.

Last edited by soilwork; 01-29-2009 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Modified the batch file with less arguments
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:14 AM   #60
mazzeltjes
Addict

Thanx Soilwork
I'll give that a shot
Looks like a lot of work but might be worth it