Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-26-2012, 08:25 PM   #1
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad - Kobo Glo - Nook Glo - Samsung Galaxy Note II
Favorite Magazine Reading Device?

This has probably been asked many times, and I may have missed it, but for reading Magazines.. what is the best Application? Zinio, Kindle, Nook etc.. and on what reader? ipad, Nook, Nexus 7, Kindle Fire and so on?.. in short, if you only had one choice to read a magazine other than the drugstore or any brick and motar shelf ..(not paper) ...which would it be? I'm struggling with this..
Thanks..
Doug

Last edited by MrDoug; 10-26-2012 at 08:31 PM.
MrDoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
For me -- the Nexus 7!
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #3
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I use my Nook Color.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 09:46 PM   #4
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
My 10" android tablet, generally using Google Play Magazines. For downloadable fiction mags from other retailers, I use Mantano app to read them.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 10:10 PM   #5
MrDoug
Banned
MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrDoug ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
My 10" android tablet, generally using Google Play Magazines. For downloadable fiction mags from other retailers, I use Mantano app to read them.
Thanks.. but I have ? on how to get a magazine I have installed let's say in Nook..how to I get that Nook Magazine to read/Sync in Mantano? I always have problems with that sort of thing..
Doug
Advert
Old 10-26-2012, 10:11 PM   #6
MrDoug
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
For me -- the Nexus 7!
I just got my Nexus 7.. still learning but liking..
Doug
Old 10-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #7
MrDoug
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I use my Nook Color.
Apache
My daughter has the Nook Color and loves it..
Doug
Old 10-26-2012, 10:50 PM   #8
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I like Zinio on my iPad. I have several subscriptions, including National Geographic and Dwell. I also read People, which has its own app.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:04 PM   #9
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDoug View Post
Thanks.. but I have ? on how to get a magazine I have installed let's say in Nook..how to I get that Nook Magazine to read/Sync in Mantano? I always have problems with that sort of thing..
Doug
The magazines from other retailers I was referring to are like regular ebooks (ie, Ellery Queen Mystery Magazines from fictionwise) not subscription items in a proprietary app. I have no idea how or if it's even possible to transfer Nook subscription mags that way. If it is, hopefully someone else can clear that up. Can nook mags be read on multiple devices? If so, I'd just install the nook app and use that rather than mantano in your case.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:36 AM   #10
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
iPad 3.
Highest resolution and best aspect ratio for magazines.
While 19:9/16:10 is best for video, 4:3 is best for magazines.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:13 AM   #11
MrDoug
Banned

Thanks for the responses so far.. keepem coming..
Old 10-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #12
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
[EDIT: please ignore this post, it is based on erroneous information (the last sentence/note in the 1st para. is wrong, see CWatkinsNash's correction posts below)]

If you get your magazines free from Calibre's "Fetch news" service, I would suggest a Kindle Fire tablet. Why? Because you can set up Calibre to send the fetched magazines automatically via e-mail to a real Kindle device using your free.kindle.com address. In other words, the magazine just appears on your Kindle device when you get within wi-fi range. Note that you cannot get this automagic delivery to the Kindle app on a non-Amazon Kindle device.

While the above works also with an e-Ink Kindle, you can't page and peruse as quickly, thus the Fire recommendation.

But if your question is about the best print-replacement magazines, then you'll be paying for that experience. Calibre is more about the text of articles, than about reproducing the print pages (including ads) like Zinio does.

Last edited by jj2me; 10-27-2012 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Post is based on incorrect information.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:55 AM   #13
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
In other words, the magazine just appears on your Kindle device when you get within wi-fi range. Note that you cannot get this automagic delivery to the Kindle app on a non-Amazon Kindle device.
Not true. My Kindle for Android on my tablet was given a kindle email address. My phone was not, and PC installs were not. Apparently it depends on the device type but it is not required to be a kindle device. And it works. I just tested it.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:30 PM   #14
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
Not true. My Kindle for Android on my tablet was given a kindle email address. My phone was not, and PC installs were not. Apparently it depends on the device type but it is not required to be a kindle device. And it works. I just tested it.
Thanks. But just to be sure we're talking the same thing: Calibre delivers free to your Android_tablet's_name@free.kindle.com, and that works?. I.e., you set up Calibre's Preferences (Sharing books by email) to deliver to that @free.kindle.com address and tested that or something similar?

In that case, I bought a Fire for no good reason. (Unless the restriction I mentioned was previously true and has since been relaxed.)

All your Kindle devices/apps should have an assigned kindle.com e-mail address, which can be found at Amazon: Your Account --> Manage Your Kindle --> Personal Document Settings --> Send-to-Kindle E-mail Settings.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:03 PM   #15
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
Thanks. But just to be sure we're talking the same thing: Calibre delivers free to your Android_tablet's_name@free.kindle.com, and that works?. I.e., you set up Calibre's Preferences (Sharing books by email) to deliver to that @free.kindle.com address and tested that or something similar?

In that case, I bought a Fire for no good reason. (Unless the restriction I mentioned was previously true and has since been relaxed.)

All your Kindle devices/apps should have an assigned kindle.com e-mail address, which can be found at Amazon: Your Account --> Manage Your Kindle --> Personal Document Settings --> Send-to-Kindle E-mail Settings.
It's only a kindle.com address - there is no distinction for non-kindle devices as the free designation only serves to tell it to only deliver to a kindle device via wifi. It only matters with actual kindle with 3g because of Amazon's document delivery charges over their 3g.

No, not all of my apps have assigned email addresses. Only my tablet was given one. Prior to posting earlier, I set up Calibre to send to that address, tested my Gmail outgoing, then did a news download. Calibre downloaded the news item and sent it. On my tablet, kindle app automatically downloaded the news item and it was ready to read. I also got an email letting me know of the delivery. It worked exactly the same as when I had an actual kindle keyboard.

As I mentioned previously, my phone was never given an email for kindle, but it was installed ages ago and later removed because I can't read on my phone. Too small. You may be right that it's been recently relaxed, as I've had my tablet less than a month so the app install was quite recent.