Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-10-2007, 01:34 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I very much hope that Sony will not compute the price the way Booken does.

$300 is not equal 300Eur
Unfortunately that's how a lot of companies do it. Toys R Us do it that way. If it's 25 dollars in the US it's 25 pounds in the UK.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:16 PM   #17
Ofoghlu
Ofoghlu began at the beginning.

Device: Sony EBook Reader
In my experience price will always be at a premium to the $US price.

df
Ofoghlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2007, 02:35 PM   #18
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hi John,

What makes you say that the Sony would be a clear winner over the CyBook? There are hugely more books available in MobiPocket format than in Sony format, and no problems with buying them from any country in the world.
I also think the CyBook looks better since it supports more formats natively, there is a possibility for a SDK and it weight 100g less.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:40 PM   #19
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Would it be feasible, software wise, for Sony to port Mobipocket to their readers?
Software wise, it's 100% possible. The real problem here is business wise...
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 02:44 PM   #20
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Would it be feasible, software wise, for Sony to port Mobipocket to their readers?
Based on the success of porting the mobi reader to the iLiad and to Cybook, I'd think it was technically feasible.

During the recent conference call, the Sony rep commented that they were willing to entertain such a move, but that others might not be willing to go along with it -- I took that to mean that the folks who control the mobi reader software may not want their reader on Sony's hardware. Hadrian has apparently commented elsewhere (on TeleRead, I believe it was) that Mobi/Amazon doesn't want its reader app on any device that also has other reader apps on it -- they want mobi only devices rather than mobi & anything else devices.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2007, 02:46 PM   #21
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, there's Hadrien now -- any elaboration on Mobi's attitude that you can offer? Or am I mis-attributing here?
Old 10-10-2007, 03:06 PM   #22
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Ah, there's Hadrien now -- any elaboration on Mobi's attitude that you can offer? Or am I mis-attributing here?
Yep I said that's it common business behavior to sign such a deal. I don't think it's Mobi's attitude only: the same rules would likely apply for DRMed PDF files for example (the iRiver reader ?).
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:20 PM   #23
NatCh
Gizmologist

Sure, I didn't mean to imply that it was only Mobi!
Old 10-10-2007, 06:38 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Based on the success of porting the mobi reader to the iLiad and to Cybook, I'd think it was technically feasible.

During the recent conference call, the Sony rep commented that they were willing to entertain such a move, but that others might not be willing to go along with it -- I took that to mean that the folks who control the mobi reader software may not want their reader on Sony's hardware. Hadrian has apparently commented elsewhere (on TeleRead, I believe it was) that Mobi/Amazon doesn't want its reader app on any device that also has other reader apps on it -- they want mobi only devices rather than mobi & anything else devices.
Then when if mobi reader coming OFF the iLiad since it also has FBReader?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 02:34 AM   #25
LOL2005
LOL2005 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Quote:

That's strange, the interest of Amazon should be to make their DRM format a standard.

That said, I won't be surprise if the kindle comes with a new DRM format, inspired from mobi but not compatible. This speculation is purely based on the fact that companies often end-up taking the worst decision possible.

LOL2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 04:46 AM   #26
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Sony is expected to launch its e-book reader in the UK at the 2008 London Book Fair, fuelling speculation that Amazon will try and pip it to the post by rush-releasing its own rival device, the "Kindle".
But there is no Kindle in the UK and no rumours supporting it will be available over here.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 05:34 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But not built-in, and since it won't read any DRM-enhanced formats except Mobi, it's no threat to Mobi's commercial sales.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:02 AM   #28
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Did iRex put that on the iLiad? I was thinking that it was done by the ... creative members of the user community, but I could easily be mistaken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra_lestat View Post
But there is no Kindle in the UK and no rumours supporting it will be available over here.
What about the rumors around MobileRead? Mostly stemming from the discovery of "Kindle Format" content on Amazon.co.uk, I mean.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:27 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Did iRex put that on the iLiad? I was thinking that it was done by the ... creative members of the user community, but I could easily be mistaken.
You are indeed correct
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:55 AM   #30
NatCh
Gizmologist

Well, in that case, I don't think FBReader much counts (for this particular point only — I'm not commenting on FBReader itself).