Notices

Old 01-27-2010, 01:47 PM   #1
jomaweb
Connoisseur
jomaweb is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle DX
Blogspot Feeds not retrieved by Calibre

Hi

I've noticed that all my blogroll that belongs to Blogspot or Feedburner is not correctly fetched by Calibre.

I've made a recipe containing some Blogspot-feedburner feeds and ALWAYS get just the post title and the bottom links. Nor the post content neither the pics are retrieved. Just title and some unusable links is shown.

Any workaround?

Last edited by jomaweb; 01-27-2010 at 03:36 PM.
jomaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:45 PM   #2
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Send one of your recipes.
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 03:56 PM   #3
jomaweb
Connoisseur

Here you got a recipe with some of that problematic feeds. As you'll surely see, only some links and other stuff is retrieved, but none of the relevant content.

class AdvancedUserRecipe1264625674(BasicNewsRecipe):
title = u'Feedburner-Bloglines'
oldest_article = 7
max_articles_per_feed = 100

feeds = [(u'Kindle World', u'http://feeds2.feedburner.com/AKindleWorld'), (u'dilbert RSS', u'http://feeds.feedburner.com/DilbertDailyStrip'), (u'Firefox Extensions', u'http://feeds.feedburner.com/firefoxtensions'), (u'www.pointblankmag.com', u'http://www.pointblankmag.com/rss.xml')]

In spanish you can test this bloglines site: http://tinta-e.blogspot.com/

I get just the comments and the links, but not the content.

Last edited by jomaweb; 01-27-2010 at 03:59 PM. Reason: adding more info
Old 01-27-2010, 03:59 PM   #4
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

You can not put feeds from different websites in one recipe. In general case that is not supported by calibre.

The only case when that works is when you take the content for articles from feed itself.
Old 01-27-2010, 04:04 PM   #5
kiklop74
Guru

Here is an example where feed mixing works:

Code:
class AdvancedUserRecipe1264626029(BasicNewsRecipe):
    title          = u'Somenews'
    oldest_article = 7
    max_articles_per_feed = 100
    use_embedded_content  = True
    encoding              = 'utf8'

feeds          = [  
                        (u'Kindle World', u'http://feeds2.feedburner.com/AKindleWorld')
                      , (u'Dilbert RSS', u'http://feeds.feedburner.com/DilbertDailyStrip')
                     ]
Advert
Old 01-27-2010, 06:35 PM   #6
jomaweb
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiklop74 View Post
You can not put feeds from different websites in one recipe. In general case that is not supported by calibre.

The only case when that works is when you take the content for articles from feed itself.
but....all my recipes are a bunch of different feeds from different sites grouped under a common topic (hardware, humour, software), and all of them works properly excepting the feedburner-bloglines feeds.

You mean "this never works" or "works but is not supported officially". Your example with two of them shows that really is working. Why that two are not working for me?

I didn't find any other way to group my huge amount of feeds (more than 300). One recipe for each one of the feeds is an enormous work and make it unreadable in my kindle.
Old 01-28-2010, 06:05 AM   #7
kiklop74
Guru

What I mean is following:

1. Calibre recipe system is designed to handle only one content structure in a recipe. That means that you can only place one set of rules to extract content for a specific websitticle.

2. Every website has its own unique content presentation structure.

3. So when you mix feeds from more than one sites than you will not be able to cleanup correctly all unneeded stuff from the feed pages since you can support only one wedsite structure per recipe. In short - you can mix the feeds but the result in general will be crap.

4. The only case where you can mix the feeds and get a good result is where feed itself contains complete article text. My example mixes two feeds that exhibit such behavior and that is why it works. Pay attention to the line in recipe

Code:
use_embedded_content  = True
That instructs calibre to get the article text from the feed and not to open the URL in the feed.
Old 01-28-2010, 07:23 AM   #8
jomaweb
Connoisseur

I would use Google Uber instead, but the Blogs from wich the article text is retrieved is not clearly identified. I never know surely what blog I am reading or whose is this post from.

is there any workaround to solve this?
Old 01-29-2010, 03:36 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaweb View Post
I would use Google Uber instead, but the Blogs from wich the article text is retrieved is not clearly identified. I never know surely what blog I am reading or whose is this post from.

is there any workaround to solve this?
Use Google Reader Recipe, but before you do, go into Google reader and place all of your subscriptions in folders. This way they will be separated into sections in the downloaded book. If you place 4 blogs under one folder then the 4 blogs will all be scattered within that section. The only way around this is to place each blog in its own folder.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-29-2010 at 05:53 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 05:04 AM   #10
jomaweb
Connoisseur

Yeah, that's the way i got all my subscriptions, but if you group 4 feeds in a folder, when downloading via Google Reader Recipe, you can not indetify what blog are you reading. Just the folder is all the info you get. If only 4, no problem, but some folders I got more than 30 feeds
Old 01-29-2010, 05:55 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomaweb View Post
Yeah, that's the way i got all my subscriptions, but if you group 4 feeds in a folder, when downloading via Google Reader Recipe, you can not indetify what blog are you reading. Just the folder is all the info you get. If only 4, no problem, but some folders I got more than 30 feeds
That's why I said to put them in their own folder. At least then they would be alphabetical order.

You could create individual feed recipes and assign them appropriate categories so they'll group together on your reader. I'm not sure how to assign the categories but it looks like it could be done.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:57 AM   #12
jomaweb
Connoisseur

OMG!!!!! This is more than 300 recipes
Old 01-29-2010, 10:24 AM   #13
kiklop74
Guru

It would be much better if instapaper could aggregate rss feeds.