Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-14-2009, 09:03 AM   #1
quillaja
Connoisseur
quillaja began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader touch (prs-600)
Question easy dictionary access?

Is there a way to go straight to the dictionary feature of the prs-600 without having to double tap a word in a book? For example, opening the dictionary directly from the home screen or something? It would be nice to just use the dictionary sometimes.
quillaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
dek
Enthusiast
dek began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600, iPod touch
That is exactly what I expected with PRS-600, but I don't think the device provides the feature.

To access the dictionary, we need to double-click on a word in a book. Sometimes, however, we need to access it directly without opening a book. I think the English Dictionary of Oxford is very useful and it would be fantastic if we can use PRS-600 as an electronic dictionary.

Furthermore, I hope the dictionary be more flexible. For instance, if a word is not in the dictionary list, we get a message, No Definition Found, with which nothing can be done except closing the message. If some adjacent words list is provided, we can select a similar word that we want more conveniently.

Another possible improvement would be more flexible accessibility in the dictionary. If you want to find a definition of a word in the dictionary, for instance, you need to open the keyboard, erase the current word, and type in the word you want. I think this is redundant and should be improved. One possible solution would be to allow the access to the word by double-clicking in the dictionary.

I think these are some of the major reasons for which we want a touch screen ebook reader.
dek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2009, 09:46 AM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There is Webster, Noah: Webster's Dictionary 1913 (updated .EPUB), v2.1, 17 July 2009. If a word is in Websters, then you can also get the Oxford definition by double tapping. It might be possible to produce a similar publication from a word list with no definitions, just for finding words to double tap.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:22 AM   #4
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Is anyone having problems accessing the dictionary lookup feature? When I double tap on a word, most of the time I get the little minus sign in the bottom right hand corner indicating it is an illegal command or whatever. Is it because that particular word is not listed? Than may not be the case either, because sometimes when I tap on a word it will tell me if it is not listed. Thanks for the help.
Richard
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 11:43 AM   #5
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Probably the Reader is not detecting your double tap. Either you're doing it too slow (or too fast) or the taps are too far from each other.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2009, 11:05 PM   #6
quillaja
Connoisseur
quillaja began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader touch (prs-600)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
There is Webster, Noah: Webster's Dictionary 1913 (updated .EPUB), v2.1, 17 July 2009. If a word is in Websters, then you can also get the Oxford definition by double tapping. It might be possible to produce a similar publication from a word list with no definitions, just for finding words to double tap.
i guess that's a work-around. Is there any place to give feedback or feature requests to sony?
quillaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2009, 09:28 PM   #7
dek
Enthusiast
dek began at the beginning.

Device: PRS600, iPod touch
Probably I am too accustomed to other ebook readers' dictionaries. The dictionary support of iRex DR1000 is very useful. The dictionary of eReader of iPod is also very interactive. I don't see any reason that Sony is unable to do so. It is just a matter of a little change, I guess.
dek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
access, dictionary, home screen