Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-26-2014, 02:19 PM   #1
bearymore
Connoisseur
bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Aura One
Ridiculously fast battery drain

Today, I bought a book from Kobo on my computer and wanted to load it on my Aura HD. Normally I keep wifi off. So, I turned wifi on and hit the sync button (I last synced 3 weeks ago). Over the next 7 minutes, the device synced, the book downloaded, and I watched my battery go from 66% to 58%.

In 7 minutes!!

Since updating my firmware to 3.5, I've had the impression that my battery use has increased. I've discounted it because I've been reading quite a bit. But 8% of the battery in 7 minutes? Is this at all normal?
bearymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:14 PM   #2
hleo12
Guru
hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hleo12 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo (deceased), Kindle 4th, Kindle Basic 10th Generation
I would bet that it's because of the sync. My Glo loses 5-10% battery whenever it syncs.
hleo12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2014, 06:57 PM   #3
bearymore
Connoisseur
bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by hleo12 View Post
I would bet that it's because of the sync. My Glo loses 5-10% battery whenever it syncs.
So it's a normal byproduct of syncing? If you leave wifi on allow it to sync daily, then, the battery would only last a week.
bearymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:14 PM   #4
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearymore View Post
So it's a normal byproduct of syncing? If you leave wifi on allow it to sync daily, then, the battery would only last a week.
Yep. Back when I used to sync with Kobo daily for newspapers I would get about a week battery life. Now that's a sync that's downloading a fair bit of data, if you're just syncing reading locations it **should** take less power. But overall wifi is a relatively high power use function.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote